Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
insertwittyname

Hair Style with Dye for Dye Hater

This is me-->

I would REALLY like to keep my hair its natural hair color, but am in crazy, insane lust for a eyepopping color/s that aren't something normal, which is pretty much black, red, and all neon colors in my school. I would like a hair style that keeps my length and does not require curling because I like my healthy hair.

Summarization of my need: I want a hairstyle with minimal dye taking over my hair that I could cut out if I don't want it anymore because I'd have to bleach it for the color to hold. While making my hair Crazy Insane keeping its length and health. While not just dying the tips which is over done in LA.

Help me please?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
BlackButterfly

I know what you mean. My hair's naturally dark, and it fries easily, so I'm terrified of coloring it too drastically, because I'd have to bleach it first as well...

Two choices for full coverage: A wig (a GOOD QUALITY wig). This will keep all of the above and if you don't want it anymore you can toss it and have all your old hair. Wigs are very common nowadays (I wear them all the time!), so as long as you secure it well with lots of pins, nobody will know. Or...

Braid your natural hair down and get extensions sewn in. It's expensive (moreso than the wig), but is essentially the same as a wig, and more secure (no pins!). Oh yeah, and you'll probably need help removing them.

Other than that, you'll probably have to bite the bullet and get the bleach-and-dye, and just condition regularly.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Tumor

Just be glad your hair isn't light, like mine. A little bleach makes it go crispy in no time.

All in all, I suggest going to a proffesional styling shop. They'll know the best course of action. And, believe it or not, half the time the dyes and bleaches aren't overly expensive.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
insertwittyname

Yes but here is the speal. I love my hair, and I want to be able to cut the color/bleach out if I ever want to go back. It is what keeps me from dying. I also want a Crazy Insane hair cut without loosing length, my boyfriend's hair is longer than mine, so I'm gonna catch up.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
Tumor

Something insane, yet able to be cut out into a "normal" cut? I'm sorry, I can't think of anything off the top of my mind...

Hold on, I may have something...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Tumor

Never mind. I thought my old Xanga had some pics, but apparently it's gone.

Sorry.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
DarkHeartedDemoness

How about synthetic dreads? It would add color and texture that would be completely removeable once you want your natural hair back.

Helpful (or just pretty) links:
http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/cyberangelicka9.jpg
http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/mirmmethodwraps3.jpg
http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/emmelinemay.html
http://www.dollylocks.com/pages/synthdread.html
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
maggot

Aside from hair extensions and falls, you can't get a crazyinsane-o haircut that will leave all of it the same length and can be cut out. You also can't color your hair without bleaching and dyeing it, unless you put paint in it as a gel to hold it up, and I don't recommend that, as I've never tried it and it's probably a bitch, or impossible, to get out.

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy with a blue, modified [extra-wide] deathhawk.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Delkaetre

Go for the synth stuff. Because youve got dark hair of a reasonably plain colour, you can get away with braiding in colours like neons or putting in UV reactives. They're not hard to put in, and easy to maintain as well. I spent Friday evening putting a set of dreds in for my friend, since he can't do the top of his skull too well.
My hair's too long, and naturally a very strong red- so there are no colours that I can braid in and look good with. Pity really... I'd love a set of black glossy falls.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
insertwittyname

The synth stuff sounds good, but I don't think my mother would walk out the house with my hair looking ratty, what does everyone think of all the hair that's roots start above my ears being cut so it's 2 or 3 inches shorter, then the last 2-3 inches died crazy? Then the rest of it left long. I am not sure how it'd turn out crazy though. >.< My look is a rather classic, boring, I can't get away with a whole lot of make-up and stuffs. That is the craziest I can think of that can maybe work.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
albertfish_massacre

I want synthetic dreads so bad. Does anyone know of a place that does it in Illinois?
Or Indiana//Missouri?
albertfish_massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
BlackButterfly

You can buy them pre-made in the beauty supply stores oriented towards black people (they have a good range of colors, and are willing to order more if you are buying enough hair), but you'll have to put them in yourself. As for hairfalls, nah, not really, since I tend to make my own hairpieces...

As for braiders, you can swing a stick and hit a braider shop in Chicago...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
albertfish_massacre

Well, I am far from Chicago. I don't know of any beauty supply stores made for black people.
I am deathly afraid of Chicago.
The only reason I will go there is to see Dir en Grey, in February. -_-
Old 11-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
albertfish_massacre

How much do they run?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
BlackButterfly

The braiders, or the hair?

c130
Old 11-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
albertfish_massacre

How much would it be to like, go to a synthdread salon and have them do it? If I were lucky to find one.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
BlackButterfly

Depends on the salon. A lot of famous salons tend to charge per dread, plus the cost of hair. Other salons (that specialize in braiding, not just dreads, like African braid shops) charge a flat fee for a certain style. I get all kinds of braids done, and the lowest I've paid for a style is $200 for a full head, but I usually bring my own hair.

I know you want dreads, but it's essentially the same process...

c130
Old 11-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
BlackButterfly

Yeah yeah, double post... (damned time limits...)

...also, when walking in to make an appointment (which I HIGHLY advise vs. doing appointments over the phone...), bring reference pics and let the stylist look at your hair texture/thickness. It gives them a better idea of how much it may cost you.

c130
Old 11-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
albertfish_massacre

Do you have a website where I can get them?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #20
BlackButterfly

Sure! This is one of the places, but I have my beauty supply stores as well, so I only really go here when I absolutely can't find the color I need...

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/syn_dreadlocks.html

That's the link to just the dreads they sell, but they have a bigger selection of colored hair that you can make dreads with...

c130
Old 11-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #21
albertfish_massacre

Thanks a lot, doll! XD
Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
albertfish_massacre

Well, they didn't have what I wanted, or what I could find, lol.

http://i10.tinypic.com/2cncg87.jpg

I want that, colours and everything. 'Cept I would like it to be a little shorter.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #23
BlackButterfly

Really? That style looks like it can be done with the Kanekalon Jumbo Braid in LL, PP, BL, and somewhere around NV. Check the "Hair Extension Fancy Colors" section of the color chart. Of course the stylist would have to make the dreads, but it can be done...

c130
Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #24
insertwittyname

Ok, confused, what is a hairfall? It sounds pretty cool.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #25
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
^These... (false pony-tails...)

They can also be straight, or any hair texture, and not just two ponys, but one, or as many as you can fit on your head!

You put your natural hair in a tight bun sort of thing and set the fall on top...

c130