Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Barfing_Rat

Should kids be allows to play with dangerous toys?

I'm sure many of us are probably one of the last generation where we get exposed to all kind of insanely dangerous things, get scrapped, cut up, bruised, etc... on regular base, and being kicked outside for most of the day.

I remember when I was about 4 to 8, I live on a small ranch community with 5 acres land. My parents use to kick me out of the house and I'd be stuck outside playing with my dog or running around with bunches of neighbor kids. I have got bitten by pig, I still bear scars from all kind of stupid crazy things I did, I remember the game where I and the kids would try to push eachother into a huge ditch, playing derby with bikes, and any other insane thing that we can think up of.

This site bring back all kind of memory. It got me wondering if we should bring all those dangerous toys back and let our kids torture themselves and have fun or not?

http://www.deuceofdavenport.com/2008...idnt-kill.html
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
She_Is_My_Sin

I don't think I can say this for the whole situation, but the kids in my area have really over-protective parents. That's not to say I wasn't restrained, but all these kids do is sit out on their front lawn picking flowers because they're not allowed to bring their toys outside and cross the road to see the other kids or they just ride their bikes up and down the same stretch of pavement. It's sad because where we live isn't that dangerous, the road is never busy and the street is small enough for the adults to keep their eyes on their kids.

By the age of 10 I'd fallen out of a tree, became friends with some of the kids in the other neighbourhoods and got a dart stuck in my arm. But nothing seriously bad became of it. It's fair enough for parents to be concerned, but not to let kids have a little bit of experimentation with mild danger in my opinion isn't right.

Though I guess it really would depend on your childhood overall.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Bring back the classic chemistry sets! The ones with actual chemicals in them.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

Those didn't really have dangerous chemicals.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
badteccy

It's all about survival of the fittest amirite?
But seriously, toys were way more dangerous back in the day, and people turned out fine, and what's a little scrape or bruise?
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Toy Killer

Heh, my sister used to race with me when I was 3. We used to stand on one side of the road and wait for a car to come by. My sister would wait for the car to pass before running, and told me to run in front of it, becuase I wasn't as fast as her.

we've sprayed oven cleaner at each other, try to wrestle each other into the eletric fence, we've hidden under farm equipment, tried to catch bats in the barn attic with wood floor panels so bloated and warped I'm suprised we ever were able to walk up there, let alone jump and run like crazy, around a 20-30 foot drop with no railing around it.

God, I'm suprised I survived my childhood...
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Barfing_Rat

I remember those dangerous chemical stuff lol. I use to have one when I was about 5 or 6. Fun time!

I agree with Teccy. It is about survival of the fittest. I think all dangerous toys make people more wise, careful, and respectful. They grew up with things that can actually turn around and bite their ass, so as they grow into adult, they are aware that everything can be dangerous if used carelessly.

I swear that all bogus lawsuits that are popping up everywhere is result of kids who have been oversheltered their whole life and when they finally grow up they expect everything to come with soft pad, safety, etc... And end up do something stupid and get hurt.

Also it is so saddening to see how empty the street are today and I believe this link to increase kidnapping, burglary and break in crimes. Back then if you try to break into a house good luck doing it because the chance of being spotted by one of the kid and getting tell on is extremely high. If you try to kidnap one of them, there will be like 5 kids out there to see whole thing. Today... I can just rent a uhaul and drive up to someone house and take my time cleaning the house out or snatch a kid off street without any worry because there's no eyes outside any more.

I also think so many people are overweight, lack of creative, have ADHD today because they live in a extremely sheltered environment. I remembered when I moved to city, I was shocked by how many kids' parents will NOT let the kids out of house. It was very special privileges to even be able to play in the yard, let lone wander off. Even if they can come outside they never know what to do and want to come back in house within 5 mins.

Now I Even know some parents who will not let kids have a water gun or water balloon fight because it is too violent in their eyes. That is just sad!

With all amazing things we have today, I'm sure they can come up with so many more interesting toys, but it cannot be done due to fear of law suit.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Toy Killer

"No no, He'll learn"
-Father to babysitter, while son reaches for hot stove...
Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Those didn't really have dangerous chemicals.
I'm talking about the original chemistry sets as in from before my parent's time, like Porter chemcraft and Gilbert chemistry sets which actualy did include some dangerous stuff if not handled properly.
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience...stry+sets.html

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Oh.
Honestly I thought you were talking about more modern ones.

But at the same time...nothing in the website you showed me suggested they were dangerous.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Oh.
Honestly I thought you were talking about more modern ones.

But at the same time...nothing in the website you showed me suggested they were dangerous.
The PBS special that had the link to that showed off some of the recipies and how dangerous they could be but also how they help inspire kids to become chemists.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
Maldarion_Haliax

I see those health comercials with shit like neosporin that are s'posed to keep us "germ free" and it's all a load of shit,if we didn't get hurt and get sick we'd all grow up to be a bunch of lil candy asses.I think kids should be allowed to get hurt,I never cared how many scrapes and bruises I got when I was little I loved it.people should quit trying to breed out or innate urges,so we don't become a society of pussies.
Maldarion_Haliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Um...neosporin keeps you from getting serious infections, jackass.

I mean, according to you, should be all stay away from inocculations, too?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Maldarion_Haliax

Jackass?I like that,it's been a while since i've been called that.
Anyways I'm not anti-medicine I just think people should let themselves heal naturally rather than running to some new product everytime they get a scrape.I think it's sad how dependent people are on things like that,I mean if it's serious or something like that then by all means get some help but if kid kid gets a little scrape don't go drowning them in band-aids multiple disinfectant gels.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Medicine isn't a new thing, and people aren't dependent on medicine to heal.

Yes, people heal naturally, but the body also fucks up naturally, and it is susceptible to disease, like gangrene.

But don't disinfect anything.
You'll be cool.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
Maldarion_Haliax

I'm aware that medicine isn't new,yes use it too help but don't flip your fuckin' rocker just because you or your kid gets hurt.
all I'm trying to say is that we should keep ourselves and our children storng by not making them dependant on things like that,my brother's like that,he stubs his fuckin' toe and has go rub some damn cream on it.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

If you have advantages, why not use them?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Renatus

I must concur with Underwater Ophelia medicine is a tool, and a tool is merely an extension of our bodies that are created and manipulated by our minds. Can we really say it is unnatural if the brain a body part of natural origins creates new things to support the rest of the body just like the pituitary gland for example creates chemicals to support the rest of the body. The only difference is the brain creates these things outside the body. The evolution of all human created things is merely part of the evolution of humanity.

That being said we should also not over use what our brains create, filling ourselves with chemicals our bodies don't need. That is what many diseases are, over abundances of cells (or is that a tumor I keep switching them up). That is why some diseases are developing immunities to antibiotics, because of mothers who want antibiotics because they can't stand to see their child suffer from a simple 24 hour flu.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
Toy Killer

A disease, by medical defintion is anything that sets your body off from osmosis. techincally, pregnacy is a sexually transmitted disease.

I agree that people can be far too dependant on drugs, but I think they are an exception rather then the norm.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #20
Opteron_Man

Barfing_Rat, do you mean cool stuff like home-made backyard cannons that fire tennis balls kind of thing?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #21
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
I'm talking about the original chemistry sets as in from before my parent's time, like Porter chemcraft and Gilbert chemistry sets which actualy did include some dangerous stuff if not handled properly.
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience...stry+sets.html
I agree, they look like something I probably would have liked.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #22
Toy Killer

Any one remember lawn darts?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #23
Raptor

Is that a game like darts but with the board on the garden or something? Never seen it.

I did get hit in the back by a normal dart before, didn't stick in or go very deep luckily.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #24
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
Any one remember lawn darts?
We use lawn darts all the time at the family reuinions for my father's side.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #25
Renatus

http://www.jarts-lawndarts.com/image...int__20.00.jpg
That is your basic lawn dart you basicaly swing it underhand holding the black part similar to how you would throw a horse shoe. The aim is to get in a ring that is laid on the lawn making sure the spike goes in to the ground.