Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Tarek

Questions for American High schools students

Hi, I am currently writing stuff to kill time since I am more or less trapped at home to health problems and the current story also takes place at an American high school (nothing I want to publish or show around, its only for fighting boredom and improving my my English) and I wondered If someone here could help me finding out a few things about the day to day life there.

Does one really need a "hall pass" to go to the bathroom? If yes how do you get it, and how is it checked? Are there guards checking the hallways? or at the toiletts?

Do you say the pledge every morning? If yes, what are foreign students doing? Say it too? Nothing?

What would be typical classes for freshmen? Do you read literature, if yes what would be a typical book/drama for freshmen?

How does a typical PE class look like? (what kind of sports do you play, are the genders seperated)

What kind of punishments are there? Detention?

Is it typical for students trying to finish homework right before class?

Are test really usually mulitply choice? Even math? Are there any "special exams" during the first year of high school? (for example at the end of the year)

Have public schools any rules regarding clothes?

When is school over? How much time is there between classes?

If you know anything else interesting/useful and I forgot to ask about feel free to tell me. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Tarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek
Does one really need a "hall pass" to go to the bathroom? If yes how do you get it, and how is it checked? Are there guards checking the hallways? or at the toiletts?
Not at my high school. All you typically needed was the teacher's permission.

Quote:
Do you say the pledge every morning? If yes, what are foreign students doing? Say it too? Nothing?
No. We would sing the national anthem before some assemblies and sports games though.

Quote:
What would be typical classes for freshmen? Do you read literature, if yes what would be a typical book/drama for freshmen?
At my high school: English literature, algebra or geometry, biology or physics, some kind of PE (could include performing arts), a foreign language (being in California, most people took Spanish), and some electives.

My freshman year, I remember reading a bunch of short stories, the Odyssey, and Romeo and Juliet.

Quote:
How does a typical PE class look like? (what kind of sports do you play, are the genders seperated)
I used marching band to fulfill my PE requirement, so I don't really know. I saw a lot of them running.

Quote:
After school detention is one, Saturday school is another.

Quote:
A few do. The discipline of students at my high school varied wildly.

Quote:
Are test really usually mulitply choice? Even math? Are there any "special exams" during the first year of high school? (for example at the end of the year)
Math tests were not multiple choice generally. A history test might have had a multiple choice section, in addition to essay and fill-in-the-blank sections.

Early on, there were basic competency tests. Later, many students would take the SAT's, which you might think of as college admission tests.

Quote:
Some have uniforms, others don't. Mine didn't, though there were some things that were prohibited, mostly offensive imagery like Swasticas.

Quote:
At 3:00 or 3:30, for most students. At most schools there's a five minute break between classes except for lunch, which is a 30 or 45 minute break.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Solumina

I'm not in high school anymore but I haven't been out for too long so I'll go ahead and answer your questions. I grew up in a very small town kind of place that happens to have about a $10 million dollar budget for each high school so my answers may be a bit out of the norm.

We had a few administrators wandering around the halls so generally the teacher would give you something if you were going to the bathroom/nurse/whatever, generally you would just ask to be excused and they would tell you to grab an eraser from the blackboard or something

The pledge was said over the speakers during morning announcements but you didn't have to say it or anything, just sit there quietly.

English Lit. (I think freshman year was mostly Shakespeare and Sophomore year was American Lit. but I could have those backwards) and what your read depended on your teacher as they got to pick from a list (I seem to recall reading The Hobbit), math (algebra I for most students, geometry for the advanced students like me, and algebra II for the math geeks like my brother), world history part I (ancient history mostly), a foreign language (your choice of Latin, Spanish, German, or French, and I think they were planning to add Chinese and/or Arabic after I left), earth science, an "art" elective (included music, drama, and art classes), and P.E.

Our classes were coed, just with different locker rooms and we had to buy a uniform but you were allowed to wear any athletic pants that you wanted if you didn't feel like wearing the uniform shorts (you could not, however, wear nonuniform shorts). We would aways start with a 10 min. warm up and then we would do a different sport ever few weeks including soccer, basketball, volleyball, track (oh how I hated hurdles), softball, kickball (I'm still not sure why they kept trying to convince us that kickball should be a well respected sport), badminton (at which I am fucking amazing), and weightlifting (which isn't really much of a sport but whatever)

We had lunch detention, after school detention, and Saturday school but honestly I know that this is really cheesy but the worst punishment was having the principle sit down with you and talk about what you did and/or why you did it. Everybody loved him dearly and you could tell that he invested a lot of time into every student (somehow he managed to learn about 450 new names and faces every year by the end of the second week of school). When he died my senior year they had to have four separate memorial services to simply accommodate everyone that wanted to attend, and they were all standing room only, even the "problem kids" loved him

We had a "homeroom" every day that lasted for about 15 min. and it was a given that about half the kids there were either studying for a test later that day or were finishing up homework, same goes for lunch, but there were very few people who worked on the homework in that actual class period that it was due

Depends on the teacher, all of my math teachers required that you show your work (which kind of sucks for me cuz I'm really good at doing things in my head but they tend to get screwed up when I have to write them out), most English and History test were short answer/essay, other classes varied widely

We weren't allowed to show any tummy (other than during school spirit weeks and then only if our outfit pertained to the theme of the day, such as a bathing suite on beach day), have straps slimmer than 1/2 in on out tops (essentially no spaghetti straps or strapless tops), and our skirts essentially had to cover our asses. So nothing too restrictive.

We started school at 8:25am and the bussed arrived at 3:15pm. We had 7 min between classes (8 if you didn't mind a dirty look from your teacher) and a 40 min lunch
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Tarek

Thank you very much for the answers, and if you don't mind I would have some follow ups:

What is a "school spirit week"?

Do those dances which are used as plot devices in movies really exist and are that important?

How do you call in sick? Simply a phone call? Is a report from your doc needed? What happens if oyu miss a test?

Are there any kind of bible classes, religous classes?

A certain topics like evolution and sexed such a big deal/drama like they sometimes seem to be? (We get here often reports about schools banning those subject from biology classes)

Do you really cut open dead frogs??

Do food fights exist?

And thanks again for the help.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Solumina

Thank you very much for the answers, and if you don't mind I would have some follow ups:

What is a "school spirit week"?
We had a school spirit week of the first home game of every season that the school actually cared about (football, basketball, girls volleyball, and softball). Essentially every day had a theme and you would dress up according to the theme (on beach day you would wear whatever you wear to the beach, for timewarp you would dress up like someone from a different time period, etc.) and at the end of the week we would have a big pep rally

Do those dances which are used as plot devices in movies really exist and are that important?
They do exist but they are not nearly as important as they are in movies. It is also more common for people to go with a group of friends than to desperately try to find a date (except for our King of Hearts dance which was essentially a Valentines dance, that one you kind of went to with a date or didn't go to at all, but even so it was mostly people who were already a couple)

How do you call in sick? Simply a phone call? Is a report from your doc needed? What happens if oyu miss a test?
If you were going to only miss one day then you had to have a parent call in or call in yourself if you were over 18, a doctor's note was required if you were going to miss more than that and was also required if you missed a test and your teacher didn't really like you. Most of the time you could schedule a time to make up the test during your lunch time.

We had a religious studies class that was an elective, you learned the basics of most major religions (I didn't take it so I don't know any more than that)

A certain topics like evolution and sexed such a big deal/drama like they sometimes seem to be? (We get here often reports about schools banning those subject from biology classes)
We learned about the theory of evolution without any drama. We also had comprehensive sex ed, including the advantages of using condoms if you are going to be sexually active (you were allowed to opt out and instead you got to learn about the human nervous system or something)

We did dissections in middle school, not high school, only in the advanced class and you were allowed to opt out (I did and I got to sit in the hallway with three classmates and read about frog behavior)

Do food fights exist?
They happen every now and then but I can only remember one if the cafeteria (that was messy but thankfully I was outside and just watched it happen through the windows) and two out on senior court, an area outside where only the seniors were allowed to eat, and the one's outside were just throwing french fries at each other
-Carbon Leaf
Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Tarek

Thanks again and if I haven't tired you out a few more:

How does one get his books? Buy them yourself? Handed out from the school? Do you pay for them?

A teacher called Sir or Mam?

Do students really wear those robes and the hats to graduation?

I assume usually students don't really care about school-elections, right?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Solumina

How does one get his books? Buy them yourself? Handed out from the school? Do you pay for them?
We didn't buy our books, we had the option to buy them if we wanted to highlight them or whatever but most people just opted for the free ones which were let to you until the course was complete (much like a library book, only you had ti for a longer period of time)

A teacher called Sir or Mam?
It depended on the teacher. Some were less formal and we called them by their first name (usually the younger teachers), by their last name (ie. Noland instead of Mr. Noland), or by Mr/Ms/Mrs followed by the first letter of their last name (ie. Ms. P. instead of Ms. Percel). With other's we were more formal and called them Mr/Ms/Mrs (insert last name here).

Do students really wear those robes and the hats to graduation?
Yes and they are soooooo uncomfortable, not to mention expensive, my cap and gown cost $75 and I only got to keep the cap. *ick* thick polyester+hours sitting in the hot sun for graduation=sucky

I assume usually students don't really care about school-elections, right?
We kind of cared about them as the student government actually got to have some real influence in school polic but it wasn't like OMG I MUST GET INVOLVED!!!!!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Beowulf

I also have some questions on this subject too ...

1) What is the purpose of the `Homecoming Parade` ?

2) Do you have to pay to use the school buses, or are they free ?

3) Do you have `Prefects` like we have in the UK (senior students who have authority over other students and can give out punishments to other students (this happened when I was at school ) ?

4) What exactly are `Cherry bombs` ?

5) Do you have to pay for the use of your lockers and how long do you have them for ?

6) Why is evolution banned in some schools when the USA is a secular country ?

It would be really cool if someone could answer my questions too !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Breathless Horror

Not being an american, I can only answer question 4.

Cherry bombs are exactly what they sound like. Little bombs about the size of a large cherry. They actually have a surprising amount of bang.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Bakiryu

Quote:
Does one really need a "hall pass" to go to the bathroom? If yes how do you get it, and how is it checked? Are there guards checking the hallways? or at the toilets?
It depends. I have gone to 2 American High schools. You're supposed to obtain the pass from your teacher who signs it and then checks it as you return to class. If you do not have a pass entrance to the classroom may be denied. In my first school there were special hallway monitors who checked your passes. In my second school, nobody really cares.

Quote:
In my first school, yes. But you can choose to sit down and don't do it. In my second nobody really stands up. The foreign students can choose as well.

Quote:
First school: Algebra I, English I, Volleyball (PE), Chorus, Computer Class, History and a foreign language. In my second school we only had four classes: English, Math, History and an elective (usually a foreign language or art/music). We did read Literature, a typical book would be something by Shakespeare, like Romeo and Juliet.

Quote:
How does a typical PE class look like? (what kind of sports do you play, are the genders separated)
A typical PE class is held in the Gym, (which usually looks like a small NBA stadium). You can play basketball, volleyball and weight training. You can also play soccer (real football) on the outside field. The genders are united.

Quote:
It depends on the offense. We don't really have detention (that's for middle school only).

Quote:
Oh yeah. Very typical.

Quote:
Are test really usually mulitple choice? Even math? Are there any "special exams" during the first year of high school? (for example at the end of the year)
Yes. Mostly math and english. Although you're supposed to write something too. During the first year you get an special state exam (or two) depending in which American state you live in. These exams are usally Math, English and recently Science. You are graded in a scale of 1 to 5 or 1 to 4. You need at least a three to pass. At end of the year you get a long mutiple choice exam and an essay in english. You must draw in art and play a piece in music.

Quote:
Yes but students flaunt them all the time. No see-through clothing, no visible shoulders. Skirts must at least touch the knee.

Quote:
School is over at 2:00 or 2:30. There's 5 minutes to get from class to class. And a 45 minute break for lunch.

Quote:
If you know anything else interesting/useful and I forgot to ask about feel free to tell me. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Remenber the lockers. In PE you are supposed to bring Sneakers (the shoes, not the candy bars). You have to bring your own lunch or lunch money (but you can get a free lunch if your family is poor, you fill a form).

Quote:
I also have some questions on this subject too ...
To cheer your sports team as they return from a game against another team (I think)

Quote:
2) Do you have to pay to use the school buses, or are they free?
They're free.

Quote:
3) Do you have `Prefects` like we have in the UK (senior students who have authority over other students and can give out punishments to other students (this happened when I was at school )?
Nope. But we have class presidents and such.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_bomb

Quote:
5) Do you have to pay for the use of your lockers and how long do you have them for ?
From 3 to 5 US dollars and you have them for a full school year.

Quote:
I really have no idea. I think it's because we still have some problems with the separation of church and state.

Quote:
It would be really cool if someone could answer my questions too !!!.
Hope I could be helpful!

Bakiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu

It depends. I have gone to 2 American High schools. You're supposed to obtain the pass from your teacher who signs it and then checks it as you return to class. If you do not have a pass entrance to the classroom may be denied. In my first school there were special hallway monitors who checked your passes. In my second school, nobody really cares.

In my first school, yes. But you can choose to sit down and don't do it. In my second nobody really stands up. The foreign students can choose as well.

First school: Algebra I, English I, Volleyball (PE), Chorus, Computer Class, History and a foreign language. In my second school we only had four classes: English, Math, History and an elective (usually a foreign language or art/music). We did read Literature, a typical book would be something by Shakespeare, like Romeo and Juliet.

A typical PE class is held in the Gym, (which usually looks like a small NBA stadium). You can play basketball, volleyball and weight training. You can also play soccer (real football) on the outside field. The genders are united.

It depends on the offense. We don't really have detention (that's for middle school only).

Oh yeah. Very typical.

Yes. Mostly math and english. Although you're supposed to write something too. During the first year you get an special state exam (or two) depending in which American state you live in. These exams are usally Math, English and recently Science. You are graded in a scale of 1 to 5 or 1 to 4. You need at least a three to pass. At end of the year you get a long mutiple choice exam and an essay in english. You must draw in art and play a piece in music.

Yes but students flaunt them all the time. No see-through clothing, no visible shoulders. Skirts must at least touch the knee.

School is over at 2:00 or 2:30. There's 5 minutes to get from class to class. And a 45 minute break for lunch.

Remenber the lockers. In PE you are supposed to bring Sneakers (the shoes, not the candy bars). You have to bring your own lunch or lunch money (but you can get a free lunch if your family is poor, you fill a form).

To cheer your sports team as they return from a game against another team (I think)

They're free.

Nope. But we have class presidents and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_bomb

From 3 to 5 US dollars and you have them for a full school year.

I really have no idea. I think it's because we still have some problems with the separation of church and state.

Hope I could be helpful!

Thanks !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #12
Lapin

My school bus cost me 35 cents both ways in Hawaii, but in Virginia and Maryland, it was free.

You can opt out of the pledge.

No prefects. I had no idea what they were until I read a Roald Dahl book.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
Solumina

Homecoming essentially a celebration of the first home game of the school year. It is great fun for all and is a wonderful fund raising opportunity for the school and the community

2) Do you have to pay to use the school buses, or are they free ?
They were free at my school, parking passes, however, were about $65 for the year

3) Do you have `Prefects` like we have in the UK (senior students who have authority over other students and can give out punishments to other students (this happened when I was at school ) ?
Not at my school, then again we didn't have any sort of need for them as there honestly wasn't a lot of rule breaking

They are small explosive thingies, I personally have never handled them

Ours were free, you were assigned one hall locker and one gym locker at the beginning of each year

It was taught at my school so I'm not 100% sure but I think it is because the school district of those areas is against the idea and pressure the local school board to get it out of the schools.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #14
Tismine

~~~Oh, goodness, no. They just let us wander out. Now, if we go to the nurse, we have to go to student life, get a pass, get it signed by them, go to the nurse, get it signed by the nurse, go BACK to student life, get it signed by them, and then give it to our teacher. The whole process is rather silly, if you ask me.

~~~No one says anything. About half the school hates America, the other half doesn't know the pledge.

~~~These were my classes:
Latin 1, French 1, English 1, Ancient and Mideavil World History, Art 2, Bible 2, Into to Physics and Chemistry, Geometry, and study hall.
Book: The Chosen, To Kill a Mockingbird, Julius Ceasar.

~~~Um, our PE wasn't required, and you do it after school. You choose a sport. We basically have everything except for football, and it's gender-separated. Well, except for Cirque (Circus).

~~~Detention, Demerits, Suspension, Community Service, Wearing School Formal, and Work.

~~~Yes. But if you get caught, they won't let you hand it in. We do it before class because we don't have time..I'm serious. One of my friends survived off of 3 hours of sleep a night because she studied so much.

~~~No. Tests occasionally have multiple choice. But we hate them- our multiple choice tests are HARD. Um, all the years have midterms and Finals. 9th and 10th graders take PSAT and PLAN, 11th and 12th take SAT and ACT. 9th also take the ERB.

~~~Yes. I'm not in public school, but I used to be. And they do. They're just rather lax.

5 minutes between most classes. Our school gets out at 315, usually.

~~~Our school trains you for life. There are very, very rarely any physical fights- those who do in public are shunned and considered moronic. We are all catty, manipulative people who live in a tightly strung web. It's fun, if you're used to it.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
Ashlyea

There's a few that I can't really answer, but this is what I can:

At my school, we have these planners that everyone needs to carry. In the back of them there's two or three pages that are for filling out to be used as hall passes. We never really had a lot of people actually monitoring the halls.

Yes, every morning right after the daily announcements. I'm not sure what foreign students could do, but I'm pretty sure you could just get away with just standing with your hand over your heart and not saying anything.

Heh. This one is kind of funny because on the schedules it says "Girls PE" "Boy's PE" But the classes are mixed. We do have separate locker rooms though. As for games, we play a lot. Soccer, Football, Basketball, etc. In the spring/fall (depending what semester we had it) we'll have a unit on physical fitness testing.

Basically. There's in-school detention (you sit for a few hours in an isolated room), out of school detention, suspension (both basically the same thing, except that Suspension is usually longer), and after-school detention.

Not sure about that one. I've done it though, and the teachers don't smile upon it either.

Math is almost never multiple choice unless I count the end of the year exams. Otherwise, there usually is a section for multiple choice on a lot of tests. As for special exams, the best I can do is the WKCE- The Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Exam, a standardized test we take in October for selected grades.

Yes. Even if there won't be uniforms, my school doesn't allow us to wear shirts that have no sleeves or sleeves under 2" in width. We also can't wear gang symbols, hats indoors, offensive symbols or sayings, nothing sexual.

Our School got done for the year in mid June, daily it was around 2:55pm, and we get about 4 minutes hall time between classes.

Goodness, no. They exist, but they aren't really as important as they make them in the movies.

A simple phone call suffices for most of the time, unless you've had too many sick days, then you would need a doctor's excuse. If you miss a test you simply either stay after school, or get pulled out of class to take it in a different room when you return.

No.

We could only opt out of Sex-ed if we had some sort of excuse from our parents. I'm not sure about evolution though, but I have read that that did happen in the past.

In seventh grade, but they were frogs that were collected to help control the population, and were already dead. It was kind of fun, but smelt yucky from the preservative chemicals they used.

Do food fights exist?

My friends and I have had miniature food fights (ie, a couple french fries or something thrown at each other) but I've never seen a grand whole-lunchroom food fight.
Ashlyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf

Damn, I wish that we had something like that at my school. But I don't think it exists in comprehensive schools. It sure would have been useful though.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #17
kikrox

high school = long time ago.
kikrox is offline   Reply With Quote