Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Dragoness2071

New to the Goth Scene

I'm an open-minded individual and I'm willing to listen to alternative viewpoints and whatnot.
I made an account here hoping to "meet" other Goths who could tell me and enlighten me on what it means to be Goth...I know it's about music, but is it more than that? I have my theories;
To me, it's about being yourself among like-minded people with similar ideas and interests. The mainstream part of society isn't exactly nice, and everyone there is a vegetable or has no idea what is around them. So, I turned here.

Anyways. I like to write poetry--or at least I try--and short stories. I tend to read alot--a little bit of everything--and I love~ music. My tastes range from classical, New Age, metal, and symphonic-types. :]

What I'm really looking for here is to find someone to talk to about the deeper meaning of life, what it holds for humanity, and how we can change our futures, how we can make it all better.
Thanks.

:Tabby:
Dragoness2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Sanguine Mind

Careful, We have lots of trolls, so you might get flamed on this post. Anyway welcome to Gnet.

Anyway, I think goth is simply A great way to express yourself, Mainly it's about the music: The fashion and literature just go hand-in-hand with it.

While a small part of it is rebeling against mainstream and societies norms, it's not really what goth is about, Remember we're not punks

Quote:
To me, it's about being yourself among like-minded people with similar ideas and interests. The mainstream part of society isn't exactly nice, and everyone there is a vegetable or has no idea what is around them. So, I turned here.
Hmm, you've almost got it right:

Goth isn't just a last resort from being rejected by society, (elsewise you'd want these forums: http://www.emo-corner.com/forums/)
It's a legitimate life style. Yes It's about being yourself, but not about lashing out at non-goths. (hell, almost all of my friends aren't goth)
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
stolide

I think you are exaggerating about the mainstream a bit. Also, many goths are not at all nice... Listening to an unpopular type of music does not make you inherently nice or more intelligent.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
tekajo

Sanguine...didn't you forget something?

Welcome to Gnet, Dragoness. You will be better off here if you try not to define what is goth. Just...a heads up.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo
Sanguine...didn't you forget something?

Welcome to Gnet, Dragoness. You will be better off here if you try not to define what is goth. Just...a heads up.
Cute. ok I'll humor you.

OMG TAKE THE QUIZ!!

lol, It's a sticky in the intro forum, copy and paste it w/ your answers.
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
HellforgedX

Oh, and stay away from
Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Dragoness2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolide
I think you are exaggerating about the mainstream a bit. Also, many goths are not at all nice... Listening to an unpopular type of music does not make you inherently nice or more intelligent.
*sigh* That's not what I meant...
What I meant was that anytime I tried to "fit in" I'd get rejected. And I know that listening to "unpopular" music doesn't make you, well, anything--except whatever you react to it.
Dragoness2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
tekajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
ok I'll humor you.
We are not amused.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
stolide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness2071
What I meant was that anytime I tried to "fit in" I'd get rejected. And I know that listening to "unpopular" music doesn't make you, well, anything--except whatever you react to it.
Oh ok, many people seem to be under the impression that listening to gothic rock makes you something you aren't. Sorry if I offended you.

As to the not fitting in, I know what you mean. When I stopped trying more people began to like me due to my unusual sense of humor.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
Albert Mond

There is no "new" to the Goth scene. Goths are required to be Vampires atleast 200 years of age.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness2071
You wont be warmly taken in by the goth scene either if you're trying to "fit in".

If you want to talk about the meaning of life or some deep thoughts, go chat with philosophy majors or political radicals.

Stick to what you like right now, go do some research about a few genres of music if you want. Post-Punk, Industrial, Goth rock, Deathrock, Dark Wave... Look into those, you might like them.

But everything else, just do whatever you want, you know? Go play out in the sun, walk up to a stranger and give them some ice cream and chat.

But yeah... welcome.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Jonathan

Hey Tabby, welcome aboard.

Others have already hit the "fitting in" part. Don't worry too much about that part, be what you are and if you are interesting things will work themselves out. If you're putting on a show, please make it a good one as we already have more than enough half-hearted efforts.

Don't feel like you need to present yourself as something you aren't. This particular subculture seems to be more like the island of misfit toys than some people want to believe, or maybe admit to themselves.

Best Regards
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Steppenwolf

I don't know if being here is same as being "in the goth scene" .
The good thing here is a lot of music/books/films that you can discover here . And the most of the characters are good people (everyone in her/his own way).
Some of us will be happy to discuss about life , death and what's in between . Sometimes we got the punk day and insults will fly , for this forum is wilder than the most you'll find . Don't act surprised , I told you... So don't expect cookies ... Don't even ask for them ...

Oh , I add what Kontan said : Just be yourself , be creative and don't deny your own wishes no matter how "ungoth" are . Some of the pleasures of life are ungoth , and nobody want to miss them just for "fitting in" .
A lot of members are into cosplay , manga and such ... And a few jerks add a love for 70's progressive rock to their love for 80's postpunk (ahem , a few ... but we are still here y'know , just in case ...)
Enjoy , and welcome .
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
There is no "new" to the Goth scene. Goths are required to be Vampires atleast 200 years of age.
Goddamit! I just spit out my eggnog onto my computer. At least it's still working.... I was really surprised I found something you said funny.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
Jaye Jang

Albert, this is the first time I've been told I'm too young to be a vampire. Well. Dernburnit. I'm hanged.

Dragoness, welcome aboard. Hope you have tough skin.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #16
Maggoty Anne

This should explain everything:
http://www.detroitgothic.net/t8411.html
Old 12-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #17
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
This should explain everything:
http://www.detroitgothic.net/t8411.html
This made me laugh very, very hard
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
Pineapple_Juice

I thoroughly appreciate the part about looking like a dick.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:00 AM   #19
Maggoty Anne

I've broken a few, how about you?