Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Clockwork

Shadow People

Anyone ever hear of these devils, or have experiences with them? No, I don't mean ghosts, these are entirely different.

I'd put a post offering what I know about them, but I'd pobably get a tl;dr response. I want to hear from you though.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Engulfed_in_darkness

I've heard of them. I have a paranormal investigation group and among the workings of these things you're bound to hear of them. I haven't had an encounter with them but I have friends who have.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
maggot

My brother used to see them in his room, and one used to stand over me nightly.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Cyntrox

What are they?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
maggot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Breathless Horror

I used to have one that always stood in one corner of my room. I can remember that some days I got a good feeling from seeing it, and others I was just terrified.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

One question:
Did you, or the people that claim to have seen shadow people before, knew about the existence of shadow people before seeing them?
Because I can't see this as anything but normal paranoia.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Clockwork

No one I've talked to knew about shadow people, but they had seen them. They began spilling out all of their stories when I brought up the subject and gave these things a name.

My best friend often sees them in her living room. Her brother sees them a lot more, and once walked into a room at their dad's house and saw a bunch of them flying around the ceiling near a black, wispy orb of sorts. She also saw one staring at her for a few seconds when she was in bed once. They've both seen many varieties - tall ones, short ones, some with eyes, some without.

Another person I know sees them constantly at her house, usually when she's alone. I've never seen any myself... either I'm not receptive to them, or I've just never been around.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
Romeo's_Distress

I have not (thankfully) seen one of these myself ,well on some paranormal show,the paranormal crew where chased by them.However it may have been tampered footage. It's probably a mix of bad lighting, paranoia, and an over-active imagination.Would be interesting to see one though.

Hmm..now that is interesting clockwork.
Romeo's_Distress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
KontanKarite

This is how you see shadow people:
Don't sleep for a couple days and then make yourself sleep very little for about few days. Make sure you're awake at night and before you know it, you'll start seeing them.

I saw them like crazy in Italy. They liked to jump the security fences and then run across the streets and change/disappear into animals and nothing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
erotomaniac87

Nah, I've never been lucky enough to experience any supernatural or paranormal occurences.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #12
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by erotomaniac87
Nah, I've never been lucky enough to experience any supernatural or paranormal occurences.

They really aren't that supernatural. Unless being sleep deprived makes you more spiritually aware.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
erotomaniac87

Well, I was speaking in general, of the whole supernatural phenomena that some people swear they've been witnesses of. I know that being sleep deprived overactivates your senses and mind, and thus makes you hallucinate and see weird shit; there's obviously no mystery there.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Anyone ever hear of these devils, or have experiences with them? No, I don't mean ghosts, these are entirely different.

I'd put a post offering what I know about them, but I'd pobably get a tl;dr response. I want to hear from you though.
Sounds like you have been listening to too much Art Bell/George Noory.

That being said, if people are really seeing them, they are either a result of neurological activity such as hallucinations, or a result of residual energy left by people who died near there.

If I really want to speculate and go far out (which I love to do sometimes) Shadowpersons could be an alien species from another dimension or planet. yeah. I listen to alot of late night radio. MmmmHmmm.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
Saddiction

shadow people = mind tricks
Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #16
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako

That being said, if people are really seeing them, they are either a result of neurological activity such as hallucinations, or a result of residual energy left by people who died near there.

If I really want to speculate and go far out (which I love to do sometimes) Shadowpersons could be an alien species from another dimension or planet. yeah. I listen to alot of late night radio. MmmmHmmm.

Dude, I so want to listen to your late night radio!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
eternalcrimson

Quote:
If I really want to speculate, pontificate, theorize, etc... and go far out (which I love to do sometimes) Shadowpersons could be an alien species from another dimension or planet. yeah. I listen to alot of late night radio. MmmmHmmm.
This whole thing sounds like when George Noory does open calls…….that’s usually when I turn off the radio.

In my opinion if “Shadow People” do exist then they are just another form of apparitions. The only difference to me is the way that they make themselves appear in front of people.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #18
the-broken-harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
This is how you see shadow people:
Don't sleep for a couple days and then make yourself sleep very little for about few days. Make sure you're awake at night and before you know it, you'll start seeing them.
It is to be noted that in the stone age some humans would deprive themselves of sleep and connect with spirits.This usually took place at a burial ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
A creature/s in an alternate reality whose dimension occasionally overlaps with ours, allowing it to be partially visible.

This opinion does seem somewhat likely, other stories involving shadow men just seem like poppycock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
In most instances, witnesses report seeing shadow people in the peripheral areas of their vision. This areas of vision is linked to the areas of the brain that recognizes patterns, however it provides less detail to the brain than Macula (Center-forward) vision. This can lead to a condition know as pareidolia, in which the brain incorrectly interprets random patterns of light/shadow or texture as being familiar patterns such as faces and human forms.[6] The same condition can also be observed in Macula vision in low light conditions, or when viewing a complex but random image. A common example would be perceiving a shadow, thrown by an item of furniture in a darkened room, as being a person.
This would explain their "shapeless masses" appearance, and kontankarite, you did say one would have to be awake at night, did you mean in a dark room?
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #19
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin
It is to be noted that in the stone age some humans would deprive themselves of sleep and connect with spirits.This usually took place at a burial ground.
Not to be *too* horrible a prick, but I'm raising the flag on that one. :P

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #20
Clockwork

Quote:
Not really, never heard a single one of those shows =/ I've wanted to, though.

I won't doubt psychological effects count for a lot of it - hallucinations, sleep deprivation and stuff. It happens. But these sightings have occurred just too often, in perfectly regular instances, and to people I know and trust. I believe it's either apparitions or shades casted from other dimensions... but the former seems more likely to me.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #21
JuliaSeizure

I have had experiences with shadow people before. In fact, these experiences are one of the reasons I decided to study parapsychology and it's one of the reasons I run a paranormal investigation team here in Baltimore.

Paranoia? Perhaps. Imagination...possible. But in one of my cases, I was actually in bed with a night light on reading a book. I was totally relaxed, had had a superb day and no gripes about anything. I sensed someone was watching me and sure enough, there in the doorway of my room stood the figure of a little girl. No visible features, no sounds. She stood there for a moment after I noticed her and then disappeared through the bedroom door (which was closed).

My dog also sensed this interruption and it was his deep throated grumble that actually alerted me to what I had already suspected.
JuliaSeizure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaSeizure
deep throated
I'm so childish some times.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #23
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin

This opinion does seem somewhat likely, other stories involving shadow men just seem like poppycock.

This would explain their "shapeless masses" appearance, and kontankarite, you did say one would have to be awake at night, did you mean in a dark room?
Basically a dark room or at night. Preferably night.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 AM   #24
Valerius

I have seen these shadow people before. I remember it crystal clear. I was about the age of 4, and sleeping in my room when I woke up in the dead of night for some apparent reason. I looked at the foot of my bed and saw a dark figure staring at me, before I'd tucked myself in again. I couldn't sleep so I dared to look at the figure again, and it was there. I finally fell asleep after looking at it two more times.

After that experience I've yet to see another shadow person again.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
Elf

My first knowledge of Shadow People came from people describing the effects of extreme sleep deprivation, such as going nearly seven days without sleeping—said individual eventually was admitted to a hospital because of the insomnia and resulting delirium. However, she avidly described seeing shadowy figures, silhouettes standing in shadows as if watching. No red eyes or much movement, though, just clandestine lurkers who faded away when approached, usually witnessed in her peripheral vision when passing darkened corners.

I couldn’t say that I’ve encountered this phenomena myself or not, as I suffer from night terrors. Not too uncommonly, in a state of hypervigilance created by nightmare paranoia, I find myself seeing things moving in my room. Often shadow figures that just stand and stare. One nightmare, which I barely recall, my father tells me that I screamed, “what is that thing?” at a shadow figure standing next to my bed. Another time I managed to switch out of a flight reflex upon encountering one of these dream-apparitions (in full fledged night-terror mode) directly into fight. In spite of the fury behind my bare-fisted assault, it didn’t last very long: there was nothing there when my swings encountered the shadow figure.

I did manage to chase it out of my room, because when I first truck it jumped back a few feet. It didn’t backpedal like I would have expected a person; instead it just flowed backward as if part of an exhalation of shadow. Enraged this thing had invaded my room, I went for it again, but this time it vanished entirely. I exited my room, looking for it, but the shadow had gone.

This particular encounter caused me pause, afterwards, because generally my night terrors cause me to run. I worried that if in the altered state that I encountered the shadow person I could have attacked or injured my little brother (who ordinarily shared the room with me.) Interestingly, I felt a lot better afterwards, in comparison to the night terrors that I ran from.

Most of my night terrors do not take a form that I can physically attack, shadowy swarms of “bees,” hands reaching from the walls, and other dark emanations. These I know to be pretty much psychological because I realize they are connected to my nightmares.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote