Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
black_heart

Punctuation Criticism

I've noticed that in a lot of threads, some users who have been on this forum for ages (I assume) are getting really hung up on the way people are writing. As long as the writing is understandable then can't you cope to see a little spelling error once in a while or tolerate an absent full-stop? People need to stop being so bitter about it! Chill dammit! Use some colloquial slang once in a while!

P.S. - what about dyslexic people, are you prejudice against them? Hmm... ?

Oops, I hope I haven't offended anyone.
black_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Methadrine

when people type like this and its going on and on without even a hit on the enter button it gets kind of annoying since it just hits you as a big block of text thats pretty annoying in itself to read as it drones on and on without any punctuations and stuff and it gets even worse when people throw in ridiculous shortcuts like u r so gth man which only sends the message that the person typing isnt really serious in what he or she types because he obviously must spend those precious seconds it takes to write the missing letters on something completely different like breathing or whatever keeps their braincells alive and then we have the. opposite.. where. the..poster dump....s..a crapload of dots.. all..over... .. .. .. .. . . the...place..which...render...s...the...who...le.. thing...rather..uncomprehensive and finally We Have The People Who Like Capital Letters A Bit Too Much To The Point That Its Almost Perverse.

Well, that being said and if anyone of you still got any eyes left, then that's the explanation on why everyone makes a big deal out of writing properly.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

We like to keep it intelligent here.
And if someone makes a mistake once in a while, we overlook it.
We don't overlook tings lyke dis
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
MariusCesar

I don't frown upon shit like that. I mean i type so fast, I tend to misspell along the way. By the time I'm finished with what I have to write. I'm just to damn lazy to go back and spellcheck everything. So I feel for yaa.

I don't know why people tend to get frustrated about it. Does it makes them feel slightly less inclined to buy the writer's argument? and (this is the kicker) Does it make them feel a little bit less respect for the writer?

Marius
MariusCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusCesar
I don't know why people tend to get frustrated about it. Does it makes them feel slightly less inclined to buy the writer's argument? and (this is the kicker) Does it make them feel a little bit less respect for the writer?

Marius
Of course it does! If someone isn't putting enough work into their paper/argument/conversation to even spell things correctly, why should I trust the content?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Of course it does! If someone isn't putting enough work into their paper/argument/conversation to even spell things correctly, why should I trust the content?
Very true (fucking post length requirement)

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
drewsilla

Quote:
I also agree with what Ophelia said. If you can't get your point across without constant misspelled words or abbreviating everything other word as if you were texting on your cell phone, then why in the world should I care about what you have to say?
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
when people type like this and its going on and on without even a hit on the enter button it gets kind of annoying since it just hits you as a big block of text thats pretty annoying in itself to read as it drones on and on without any punctuations and stuff and it gets even worse when people throw in ridiculous shortcuts like u r so gth man which only sends the message that the person typing isnt really serious in what he or she types because he obviously must spend those precious seconds it takes to write the missing letters on something completely different like breathing or whatever keeps their braincells alive and then we have the. opposite.. where. the..poster dump....s..a crapload of dots.. all..over... .. .. .. .. . . the...place..which...render...s...the...who...le.. thing...rather..uncomprehensive and finally We Have The People Who Like Capital Letters A Bit Too Much To The Point That Its Almost Perverse.

Well, that being said and if anyone of you still got any eyes left, then that's the explanation on why everyone makes a big deal out of writing properly.
I fully agree, but I wasn't always so hung up on grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. It all started when somebody was completely rude to me about an incorrect use of a homonym, it was a simple mistake, I typed "bare" instead of "bear".
By the way, I almost died reading that, also you forgot the people who TYPE IN ALL CAPS.
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
spoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine

As an English major, I feel so dirty after reading that.
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Green.Lady

The other day, someone pointed out that the banner says "Bone Chilling LITERARY Culture." That should give you a big hint.

Being anal about spelling and grammar indicates that one is well-educated and well-read. Not taking five seconds to proofread a post indicates that one is not incredibly interested in literature and language, things generally appreciated by goths. Colloquial slang is different than "lyke omg." That is nonsense. Colloquial slang consists of recognizable words like "ain't" - and is perfectly acceptable to use.

And I am not "prejudice" against dyslexics. If you or anyone else here is dyslexic, I apologize.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Wormboy

I hate the word ain't, but according to my friends I'm pretentious, so I guess that's why.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #12
Mon Coeur Noir

I am HORRIBLE at spelling and so forth. I do believe myself to be somewhat dyslexic, but I don't let it bother me too much. I just accept it as part of who I am. I'm not going to apologize for the little things that make me unique.

I once made a friend over the internet, and she called me to say hi. After we started talking she said that she didn't realize I had such a large vocabulary. I just never used certain words while we chatted online because I could never spell them. I was afraid of putting out the impression that I was dumber than I really am. I mean, I don't need help there. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't think I'm quite retard material.

I think it is wonderful if you can express yourself clearly through written words, but a lot can be lost due to lack of inflection. I agree with Methadrine (although I must admit from time to time I am guilty of using the ... method), but just because someone types horribly doesn't mean they are stupid. Also, if you don't like looking at something, then you don't have to read it. Pretty simple, I'd say.
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #13
drewsilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Coeur Noir
I am HORRIBLE at spelling and so forth. I do believe myself to be somewhat dyslexic, but I don't let it bother me too much. I just accept it as part of who I am. I'm not going to apologize for the little things that make me unique.

I once made a friend over the internet, and she called me to say hi. After we started talking she said that she didn't realize I had such a large vocabulary. I just never used certain words while we chatted online because I could never spell them. I was afraid of putting out the impression that I was dumber than I really am. I mean, I don't need help there. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't think I'm quite retard material.

I think it is wonderful if you can express yourself clearly through written words, but a lot can be lost due to lack of inflection. I agree with Methadrine (although I must admit from time to time I am guilty of using the ... method), but just because someone types horribly doesn't mean they are stupid. Also, if you don't like looking at something, then you don't have to read it. Pretty simple, I'd say.
I'm also a terrible, terrible speller. It's so bad that I have the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary bookmarked so I can reference to it all the time.

I believe a person should be who they are, but you should also be the best that you can be at all times. Of course if a person types horribly does not mean they are stupid, but in a public forum where the only way you get your point across is by written word that has to be seen, then don't you think that you should make sure what is seen is not wrong in the first place?
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #14
Delkaetre

I was a student of English Language and Literature, so I effectively have a grammar and spell-checker embedded in my skull! I doubt I could use vile netspeak even if I tried- I'd look like an utter fraud, it's just not in my nature.
Occasional typos and grammar errors are generally a result of my typing whilst tired, drunk, or irritated. I find that anger really does affect my ability to write coherently.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Mon Coeur Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsilla
I'm also a terrible, terrible speller. It's so bad that I have the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary bookmarked so I can reference to it all the time.

I believe a person should be who they are, but you should also be the best that you can be at all times. Of course if a person types horribly does not mean they are stupid, but in a public forum where the only way you get your point across is by written word that has to be seen, then don't you think that you should make sure what is seen is not wrong in the first place?
Yes. If they are a frequent user of things such as leet, & a constantly obvious slap in the face of the English language, then of course I am turned off to what they say. But I am more upset with nit picking. If someone went on a 300 word rant and spelled two words wrong, it seems like spirit of this place would be to focus on those two words. No one is perfect, and it seems as though sometimes people forget that. It's as if some can't let the little things go, and feel the need to show off there superior English skills. I get that I'm a horrible speller, but there is no need to berate me for it.

I guess what I am saying is that I do enjoy reading something that is properly put together, but picking on someone due to an accidental misuse of grammar isn't going to help them.

As always, I could be wrong. However, this is my opinion, & I am just as entitled to mine as you are yours.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Mon Coeur Noir

^ OH! Also, I love your icon.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
Lapin

Quote:
Count me as agreeing with Ophelia as well. I know it can be difficult at times, but I'm always very pleased when I see that the person posting took the time and effort to spell and grammer check.

As for the three hundred word rant example, if your rant carries on that long, you should really run it through MS Word before you post it, just as a precaution.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #18
Wormboy

Every time I read the title of this thread I always read it as "perpetual chicken" for some reason.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #19
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
As for the three hundred word rant example, if your rant carries on that long, you should really run it through MS Word before you post it, just as a precaution.
Or use Firefox for spell-check. It's spell-check function is invaluable sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_heart
I've noticed that in a lot of threads, some users who have been on this forum for ages (I assume) are getting really hung up on the way people are writing. As long as the writing is understandable then can't you cope to see a little spelling error once in a while or tolerate an absent full-stop? People need to stop being so bitter about it! Chill dammit! Use some colloquial slang once in a while!

P.S. - what about dyslexic people, are you prejudice against them? Hmm... ?

Oops, I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Nopes, we don't feel prejudiced to dyslexic people. A dyslexic person stays at my hostel and I give him just as much shit as I do to everyone else and he takes it rather jovially.

& Mr Meth... that was a painful arguement that took some time to digest. The dancing naked truth is never nice on the eyes, though.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #20
Undead_Stagehand

My two cents: Take criticism and run with it. What one types and how one types it is the only way people on message boards interact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
The other day, someone pointed out that the banner says "Bone Chilling LITERARY Culture." That should give you a big hint.
Exactly.

Meth--you make me giggle.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
Wormboy

I'm still reading Perpetual Chicken. But alas, Firefox's spell check is worth my weight in gold ( a tidy sum, let me tell you). Sadly, I'm using a school computer with no spell check . Normally, I use firefox exclusively. It is amazing, plus the music player integration? GOLD.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #22
Methadrine

I don't like spellcheckers. It makes people lazy.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #23
Wormboy

Spoil sport. Nah, I pay attention to what it's correcting, so that way I learn how to spell the word... usually.... >_>

Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #24
Murxek

Personally, spelling is a must. One of my main dislikes is when someone can't type, read or speak; It really bothers me. In fact, this is why i am the copy editor for my school's newspaper!
Murxek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #25
Cain

Location: In a little hollow doll, inside another hollow doll, inside another hollow doll, inside...
Blessings upon those who strive to keep the mindless flock on the straight path... Well, I've learned most of my English watching Cartoon Network, since English class was just so damn borring; for this reason, I find that a place where people take their grammar seriously is quite helpfull.
Anyway, there's on thing I always found a bit strange about English: why is "I" spelled with a capital "I", no matter where it may be in the phrase? It seems a little egocentrical
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote