Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #301
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Also funnt that people who haven't even been a member half the number of years I have call me a troll. Yer blow-ins. I was here posting similar articles years before you got here, and will be years after you go away. You can always go back to wherever it was you were before you came to the board where I post.

Heh, I have threads posted throughout this site older than most of the accounts I see here.
See... maybe if everyone here was in Kindergarten, they'd care, but really the length of time you've been here doesn't magically make your posts intelligent. Nothing can make up for idiocy, deception, and trolling. The only thing your join date makes you is an old troll. Albert Einstein could join these forums tomorrow and call you a troll and a pathological liar. He'd still be Einstein - you'd still be an idiot.

And sorry if no one is eager to discuss an entire newspaper's worth of articles with you every single day that you trollishly just post to dead threads over and over again. Also, find it a bit hypocritical that you're stomping up and down like a brat and throwing a fit, then a post later saying someone else has, "sand in their vagina?" Sounds like you need a good cleaning yourself, Sternn. I'd tell you go get a douche, but you are one.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #302
raggedyanne

I found this while browsing when I was supposed to be doing homework. Just found it funny.

Politics and economics are foolers' paradises

02/25/2007

H.L. Mencken once said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." It seems that in today's economic and political environment, there are many who believe wholeheartedly in that theory.

Here's another: "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, and that should suffice." These are not exactly the most respectful attitudes, but they certainly represent a thought process that is recognized by the public in a very cynical age.

The anger that wells up among many citizens can be seen in economics and politics equally, but the worst offenders appear to continue their pursuit of profit and power with impunity.

Consider Microsoft. The gigantic software company wants to sell a new operating system. It's called Vista, and it will change the look of your computer. It also will require the American public to invest millions, if not billions, of dollars in new technology and it already has upset many computer users.
Advertisement

If Vista requires more power, then we all need to upgrade our random access memory. If Vista requires additional software, then we all may need to reconfigure our hardware. If Vista requires a new computer, then the box-sellers will be pumping out lots of product. In other words, Microsoft isn't just offering a new look, it's imposing a new era of technology.

Will the public revolt? That's not likely, as the world has become dependent on computer technology. No matter how much resistance and suspicion there might be in the short run, in the long run business and the public can't be without computers. So, the newest equipment eventually will dominate. The accompanying products will become the state of the art, and despite the fears of the "dumb" public, Microsoft's profit will surge.

Speaking of surging, the public isn't exactly happy about the George W. Bush administration's latest policies in Iraq. Everyone in America might not be a foreign-policy wonk, but it's not too hard to remember how Lyndon Johnson buried his head in the sand and hoped for patriotic support. Forty years later, we're doing it again, and the American people just can't understand why our most "brilliant" leaders can't see the problem.

On the other hand, some people do get it. Consider JetBlue Airways. JetBlue, a popular carrier that seemed to be very considerate of its customers, got in trouble during the recent surge of bad weather. Flights were canceled and travelers stranded.

The company's chief executive, David Neeleman, stepped up immediately and described himself as "humiliated and mortified." He said the company would immediately review procedures and spend whatever is necessary to improve its internal communications and prevent future fiascoes.

That's impressive; someone is in charge who doesn't blame the people for being stupid. The head of a large corporation admits that he is wrong and his company has erred and changes need to be implemented quickly to provide the public the service that it deserves and expects.

Then there is the argument among Democratic candidates for president of the United States. John Edwards says he made a mistake: He never should have voted for the resolution that allowed President Bush's administration to attack Iraq. However, Hillary Clinton, who wants to withdraw from Iraq as soon as possible, will not say "I'm sorry" for her similar vote.

So the political experts are arguing the fine points of being wrong as opposed to being sorry, while the country searches for a policy that makes sense and revives America's standing around the world. We have to wonder whether our leaders are trying to help the country or themselves.

Surely, we can agree, the world isn't made up of 6 billion Einsteins, and we ought to know more about what is happening around us, but perhaps we're not as stupid as "they" think.

When it comes to economics, eyes glaze over and most experts agree that America is illiterate with regard to the theories of capitalism and markets.

We teach years of foreign language in high school, but devote only a few weeks to eco*nomics. Some states, including Missouri, are beginning to change, but we have a long way to go.

Nevertheless, despite all of our deficiencies, there is some degree of common sense that is present, and apparently you can't fool all of the people all of the time. Maybe as the guy said, "that should suffice," but sometimes even our most cynical leaders learn their own lessons. It would be a pleasant surprise, if only their memories weren't so short.

MARK KASEN IS A ST. LOUIS EDUCATOR AND LONGTIME STOCK TRADER FOCUSING ON ECONOMICS AND MARKETS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for the author's comment that we teach 'many foreign languages' I must comment that the only languages offered at my school are french and spanish, when what we will need most when working with the global economy is Asian languages.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #303
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksaa
I hope you are continuing this fight against poverty in Ireland, considering "poverty levels in Ireland are still among the highest in the EU despite having the second highest GDP in the EU. Read the CSO report New Central Statistics Office (CSO) report."

Other countries have a widening income gap like China and Ireland (read CORI justice commision report "Mind the gap between Rich and poor" - which outlines the success of the Republic but still that gaps grows). The rich are rich for a reason in every country and they desire to continue to be rich. Is it right? How do you cure mankind's greed?
While you are correct about the fact there is a big gap in Ireland, the gap here is on a much different level than that of the one in america.

Here, we have mega-rich, and then everyone else. Land here is at a premium as we are aa smal country. A small house starts at about €400,000 (thats about $600,000). The thing is, most people inherit their homes and businesses. Those who do inherit even the smallest house or business are then set for life. Companies wishing to build here have to buy land up at premium costs. A mate of mine that is just 23 who inherited a farm from his grandfather just got €16 million for a couple of acres, acres he didn't use as they were too close to the road, as a developer wants to build a few shops (ie. minimall) in the area. If you own any land here, you will be a millionaire in your lifetime. Same goes for most businesses.

That being said, on the other end you have people who don't work as there is no work here in some areas. We do have a brilliant welfare system as I stated before. It doesn't run out, so even if you can't find work in a year, as long as you try you continue to get benefits which include a few hundred euros a week, and all your bills paid by the government (water/electricity/any heating costs/rent/etc.).

So lets say you buy a house here, then lose your job - government picks up the mortgage until you find work, whenever that is.

Bottom line is yes, we may have an economic divide here and due to rising land prices does make a big different in the top and bottom rungs of our economic ladder, but even on the bottom here, you live pretty damn well, as opposed to life in the states at the same level where if you don't work you won't get a free ride for life and the fact the welfare system there doesn't pay all of your bills and gives you 'food stamps' in leui of a sizable weekly cash disbursement they do here.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 AM   #304
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
I found this while browsing when I was supposed to be doing homework. Just found it funny.
A good article. I myself was impressed by yer man at JetBlue last week as well.

Oh yeah, Vista Ultimate rules.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #305
raggedyanne

Sorry, but I'm a classic mac person. Got my i-book G4 in '04 and haven't had to call customer services yet.

I don't agree with you when you said that anyone in Ireland who owned land could be a millionaire. It just doesn't seem right.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 AM   #306
Drake Dun

If you use Windows because you "have to" (you don't), you have no right to complain about Microsoft.

If you vote Republican or Democratic because you "have to" (you don't), you have no right to complain about the biparty system.

My two cents.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #307
raggedyanne

true, both my parents are republicans, but I prefer democratic ideals

Last edited by raggedyanne; 02-28-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: fight with computer
Old 03-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #308
Frankenscott

Quote:
I agree we need a mod here. We need a mod to move this to the WHINING forum. I did of course learn something from this post though which is worth mentioning - I didn't know robots could get sand in their vagina.
All you do is whine, that's why you're here
Frankenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #309
Binkie

Let's bring up the direct quotes again:

Quote:
Thats one of the main reasons I stay. As a person who makes it my life to be a thorn in the side of all right wingers, I stay here to point out the obvious.
Hmmm... now let's see what a troll is considered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
Obviously this requires more head-scratching. I just don't know why anyone would call him a, "troll."
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 AM   #310
CptSternn

Ahhh..once again trying to turn me into the topic. You know, you really should focus on the topics mentioned here.

Anyway, heres a good one for you -

What has 20,000 legs and can't walk?

The Walter Reed Medical Centre.

Heh
Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #311
Binkie

Well... this topic is about you, Sternn. You're an overweight and dumb American. So why wouldn't we talk about you? Are you trying to skirt these problems?

Here's a good joke though: What's overweight, pathetic, a pathological liar, and a self-hating troll that thinks it's Irish and lives the stereotype to prove it?

CptSternn. ;)
Old 03-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #312
ArtificialOne

What? Is someone talking about me?

I agree 9/10th's of this should be in the whinging section....

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #313
ArtificialOne

And for the record.. again. Him (cpt.... although obviously a military hater, but gives himself a rank) being a troll is why I don't respond to it.

I think of him as that annoying guy in the market trying to get you to sign up for a newspaper, or that homeless drunk man trying to take your money. Some things and people are just better ignored.

You have to starve him of what he wants, kind of like a stray animal, he'll either die, or go away. (I love animals btw)

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #314
raggedyanne

or a morman that rings the door right at dinner time trying to convert you over a glass of sparkling cider
Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #315
ArtificialOne

Damn mormons.... they always used to come over while I was working on my bike or my car...... if you don't want to help, leave, it's not a spectator sport... lol

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #316
raggedyanne

true. One time, I think it was the jesuits or something, and they made me smack my head into the underside of my bike.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #317
ArtificialOne

You don't see them allot on homes in the US, but overseas in england and aus there are lots of "No solicitor" signs on everyones home and mailboxes...

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #318
raggedyanne

I have one of those on the door to my room! They don't work in the U.S.; my nana tried and they just rang more often. We americans are mean that way! ; P
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #319
mindbender

Obesity and education deficits are problems in the United States, but to say [all] Americans are fat and stupid is erroneous at best. You should come visit sometime instead of sticking to flames on message boards.
mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #320
Frankenscott

Quote:
Ahhh..once again trying to turn me into the topic. You know, you really should focus on the topics mentioned here.
You started the thread... I can't believe people still parry your pointless drivel.
Frankenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:11 AM   #321
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscott
You started the thread... I can't believe people still parry your pointless drivel.
Heheh, yeah I know. I started this thread as a joke of sorts, but then a certain person decided to take it personally and had posted more responses than anyone, an inadvertently caused many others to respond as well. I've just been rolling with it since it now is the second most popular thread next to the Iraq one.

Also, while on the subject, can I point out the irony of yer post there?

Thanks for also parrying my pointlessness
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #322
Binkie

Quote:
then a certain person decided to take it personally
You started a thread about how Americans are fat, then threw a hissy fit when it turned out you're quite the chub, yourself. So I assume you're refering to yourself here. Have a hamburger on me, Sternn.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #323
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
You started a thread about how Americans are fat, then threw a hissy fit when it turned out you're quite the chub, yourself. So I assume you're refering to yourself here. Have a hamburger on me, Sternn.
Once again, you say I'm fat, where I have over 500+ pictures of my glorious self on my website...

http://www.sternn.com

In which one can make their own opinion (www.sternn.com/stuff for more even)

Or even check my MySpace or even YouTube and see live video of me if you cant get enough of me (which you obviously can't, seeings how you continue to post each time about me, and only me). Don't get me wrong, I know your infatuated, so here is a bit more of me even...

http://www.myspace.com/cptsternn

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cptsternn

Where as you have no pictures here, no links, not even the blurry head shot you had here before that SCREAMED heffer...

That being said, thanks again for proving my point in my last post with your reply.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #324
Binkie

Or we can just take your height and weight - information you volunteered, and punch it into the body mass index calculator on the CDC's website and wa-la!

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/...=200&inches=74

Quote:
I'm 6'2" and 200lbs.
S'kinda ironic that you are on this website talking about how overweight people are unattractive and preach about weighing in at the right amount - and yet you're overweight, yourself.

I said it before, I'll say it again; Poetic justice.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #325
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
Or we can just take your height and weight - information you volunteered, and punch it into the body mass index calculator on the CDC's website and wa-la!

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/...=200&inches=74

S'kinda ironic that you are on this website talking about how overweight people are unattractive and preach about weighing in at the right amount - and yet you're overweight, yourself.

I said it before, I'll say it again; Poetic justice.

...and once again you change the topic. Good try though, we know your afraid to even disclose a picture of your fat-self on the web, because I am right.

Heh, Also, thanks again for furthering my point. You know if you look at your posts in your profile...

https://www.gothic.net/boards/search...earchid=304403

Over 3/4th of ALL of your posts are personally directed at ME. Also note, if you browse this thread, over half the responses in each of my threads are personal comments to me from you.

Obsessed? We are talking HUNDREDS of posts, most off topic, just aimed at getting my attention.

I mean, we get it, you're infatuated, but seriously, get a hobby or a real boyfriend, as by looking at those stats it makes you look needy.

The last thing any guy wants is a fat, needy girl with 'mental issues' bad enough to keep her from working who lives in her parents basement.