Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #476
JethroAranas

I learned that Mafia Wars of facebook is as not as bad as it looks.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #477
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
That my coworkers are as dumb as the guests. I was seriously asked if ducks become geese when they grow up. This woman is going to college, I fear for society
That is sorry. I would have said, "If you don't know that, you need to go retake second grade. Probably wouldn't hurt to take a refresher on first grade while you're at it."

Epic fail AND pitiful.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #478
Saya

Thats not so bad, at least they both have bills. I don't get the pigeon one at all.

Actually, I'll never get over one of my highschool friends saying she couldn't eat eggs because she's lactose intolerant. So naturally we asked "Kelly, where do eggs come from?" "Pigs," she said with a straight face.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #479
Solumina

That planning a cohesive menu is hard, really, really hard
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #480
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I learned that one of my good friends who is very bright is also becoming a bit...senile. About once a month or two she sends me the same "cute baby moose in the sprinkler" video. She is a brilliant lawyer, technical writer and political debater and yet she doesn't remember she already sent me the same video three times? She is only a month older than I. Well, this may have advantages, in that I can appear to guess what she will say next. This may be fun after all! <snicker>

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #481
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
asked if ducks become geese when they grow up.
hahahahaha. that made my day.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #482
Ben Lahnger

I learned that Jack Harrison died today at the age of 97. Jack was the last survivor of the group of soldiers whose true story inspired the movie "The Great Escape" starring Steve McQueen. Jack helped plan the escape, and his job was to hide the dirt coming out of the tunnels. He didn't escape then, but was freed later when Russian forces liberated the prison.

It was actually fortunate that he didn't get into the tunnel. Of the 77 soldiers who made their way out, all but 3 were shot.

"I guess it was a blessing in disguise I never made it through, as most were shot," Harrison told the Scottish Sun last year. "But the main purpose wasn't just to escape. It was to outfox the Germans. It was a huge moral victory. It humiliated Hitler and gave the Nazis a bloody nose."

After the Russians rescued him, he returned to Scotland to his career as a Latin teacher and started running marathons for charities when he got into his 70's.

I've always had a soft spot for that movie ... because it's based on that true story and because the soldiers primary intent was to do whatever they could do to disrupt the German war effort from the inside. But it's such a heart-breaker, when you see all those guys getting out and you know they're hoping to make it to freedom, and so few do.

Anyway, Jack, I know you didn't like being called a hero, but you were.

Rest in peace.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #483
Magila

Learned that if you begin to like things you hated before for the sake of the many people you hang out with, and never give time sitting with your own self, it's like taking you personality, crushing it into millions of pieces and throwing all over the people you know.

I also learned that sometimes having one friend beats having one million sheep that you never cared for in the first place.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #484
Bete Noire

The Waverley Criteria are pretty much geared to make sure we don't legally have to repatriate the Elgin Marbles... God save the Queen.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #485
LogisticWolf

nothing i all ready did not know
LogisticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #486
KissMeDeadly

I learned that summers in the south are not at all compatible with black victorian frock coats. Even if they are fabulous, and perfect to wear to a wedding.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #487
Jer66ome

I learned as much as you want to help people out,, you're waisting your time if they can't make an effort to help themselves!!
OH!! that and Aussie ElderGothettes are fucking insane!!!!
Jer66ome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #488
Ben Lahnger

I learned that today was the busiest day ever on the internet, due to the start of the World Cup Soccer Tournament in South Africa.

I also learned that the United States bought more tickets than any other visiting country. Who says we don't like soccer here?

And finally, I learned that Team USA ... or "The Yanks" as the other competitors call them ... are ranked 14th in the world. Winning the championship would be an extremely tall order, so I'm just hoping for a good, competitive run.

I'll be watching tomorrow at 12:30 pm CST as Team USA takes on Team BP ... er, I mean Team England ... (that was a joke, okay?)

Go USA!!!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #489
honeythorn

I learned to fucking look where I was going after accidentally crashing the moveable steps into the racking at work , and bashing my shin at full force on the edge of a metal step. I'm amazed I didn't break anything. I now have a MASSIVE bruise/lump . Attractive.

I've mashed up some comfrey and bandaged it on, in the hope it'll take some of the swelling and bruising down
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #490
Saya

I learned that exhibitionists were often excused by Freudians, saying that they were sexually oppressed men dominated by their wives or mothers, so the correct treatment was to have him start abusing his wife, oh I'm sorry, "asserting his dominance" over his wife. And she can never say no to sex or he might relapse.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #491
Ben Lahnger

Saya, wow, is that ever weird and wrong and irritating.

It's amazing how self-serving most of Freud's shit was, eh?

Even when I was reading that crap in high school and recognized intuitively how sick it was, I wanted to say, "Physician, heal thyself!"

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #492
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Saya, wow, is that ever weird and wrong and irritating.

It's amazing how self-serving most of Freud's shit was, eh?

Even when I was reading that crap in high school and recognized intuitively how sick it was, I wanted to say, "Physician, heal thyself!"
Freud himself was pretty misogynistic, but you'd think that psychologists in the 70s, in the midst of the sexual revolution, would know better. One psychologist that was quoted from 1945 said that women rarely are arrested for indecent exposure because they have penis envy and want to hide the shame of not having a penis, not expose it. And the whole being of a woman is sexual, so she doesn't feel the need to. Women who enjoy cunnilingus or masturbate after puberty hits (he believed the clitoris was like a penis, I didn't understand why, but apparently as a child a little girl is virtually a boy, and when puberty hits she becomes a lady and stops touching herself like young men do), however, were the kinds of women most like to start exhibiting. I hope when Kinsey's findings were released he felt silly.

Oh, and black men rarely expose themselves because they can express themselves through colourful zoot suits and fancy cars >.> And their genitalia is superior, so they don't feel the need to compensate!

I liked that in the psychology courses I took, whenever we touched on Freudian theory the professor would sigh, roll his or her eyes and say something like "Okay, most of it is offensively wrong, but stick through it, its important to know the history of the field."
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #493
Ben Lahnger

Saya, "Okay, most of it is offensively wrong, but stick through it, its important to know the history of the field" should be the standard disclaimer to any introduction of Freudian psychology in any educational institution.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #494
Angelic Dissonance

I learned to ignore most of the shit people say about me, instead of taking offense, and that my penis is larger than the average male my age's. I disputed this for hours. Which leads me to another point:

Not to take myself too seriously. Not that I did anyway--I mean, I don't just joke. I actually break reality. If that was serious, we'd all be screwed, wouldn't we?

Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #495
Fruitbat

I prefer zany and different over straight and boring.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #496
carakitty

I learned that the shelter I volunteer at want us to hold the cats in the football hold for short distance transportation and anything more than just a few moments of holding they need to be in a carrier.

I also learned there are way too many cute kittens at the shelter I volunteer at right now! So many of these babies are black or tortoiseshell too! Nearly melted to a puddle of Goo on my way out the doors today. They were just beyond words.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #497
CallMeDeth

I learned that I need to get fake IDs for my bandmates just so that we can play a bar, since they're both under 18
CallMeDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #498
Ben Lahnger

I just looked at the Labor Laws for Minors in Pennsylvania, and they won't be able to work in any room where alcohol is being served unless they can pass for 18.
No minor under eighteen years of age shall be employed or permitted to work in, about, or in connection with, any establishment where alcoholic liquors are distilled, rectified, compounded, brewed, manufactured, bottled, sold, or dispensed; nor in a pool or billiard room: Provided, That male or female minors sixteen years of age and over may be employed and permitted to work that part of a motel, restaurant, club or hotel in which liquor or malt or brewed beverages are not served: And, provided further, That minors sixteen years of age and over may be employed to serve food, clear tables and perform other duties, not to include the dispensing or serving of alcoholic beverages... Nothing in this section should be construed as prohibiting minors fourteen and fifteen years of age to be employed at ski resorts, golf courses and amusement parks as long as they are not permitted to serve or handle alcoholic beverages and as long as they do not work in any room in which alcohol is being served or stored.
So, yeah, that sucks.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #499
TheFeatheredÆtheling

That does suck. I hate the government-babysitter "we have to protect the people from themselves" mentality that seems to be so prevalent these days.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #500
Solumina

I learned that these pants are really comfortable with no panties
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote