Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Would you move for a girl?

Or conversely a guy.
I'm considering moving to New York next semester. A friend of mine that lives in NY wants me to move to it and keeps trying to convince me.
But truth be told, I'm only considering it because of her. New York doesn't attract me that much.
Transferring to Columbia University would be impressive, and would probably help me if I become a college professor.
I'm not asking for advice - I doubt anything anyone anywhere says would affect whichever decision I take - but I'm curious about what you guys think.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Drake Dun

It depends on what you would be leaving behind. If the answer is "not much", then I say go for it.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
DRM

Well I would move to New York for some one but then again, that's were I'm going to go to collage anyway, but to any other place my answer would have to be no.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
New York doesn't attract me that much.
Oh, hi. Just passing through, nice thread you got here. Well, I'm off, carry on.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Albert Mond

Smile

Sure.
******s?where?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
dead_dreams

Damn straight. If it was for the girl I liked, I would go to the farthest, and most isolated corners of Earth just to be with her.
dead_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Mr. Filth

Done it twice. Regret it. If you can't find a girl near you, you aren't gonna find her far away. You're better off looking after yourself where you know your home is. First money, then power, THEN women. Trust me. She's only trying to see if you'll do it to make herself feel good.

I did this for my ex. We keep in touch. A year later she did it for some other guy. Same conclusion. Don't travel for 'love'. You can't love someone you've never met in person.

If it's just for a time, for a fling. Go for it. Otherwise, stay put.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

I've met her in person, we met in high school. But it's not for love. Granted, sex, awesome, but it's not for her, but because of her.
The for what is more of doing something completely new, and she's encouraging me to do so. I like crossing Rubicons; plus she's gorgeous.
Oh, and GM, you're actually a pro in a list of why to go. Somewhere between ABC No Rio and the Met.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

All kidding aside, Jillian, I'd move to New York were I you. I didn't even consider this before I decided to go to school here, but just living in the city is immensely helpful in advancing your career. I don't know exactly what field you plan to enter, but so many awesome enterprises are headquartered here that with a solid resume you're perfectly poised to jump onboard the gravy train.

Also, you're at school in Texas now, right? Even if you're at Rice or something, I'm not aware of any school there with same rep as Columbia or-- not to toot my own horn-- NYU, and my mom's the Theo Kojak of college counselors (by which I mean she's obsessed with her job and rarely talks about anything else).

To list all the reasons why living in New York is awesome would be impossible. None of these factors may matter to you, but that's my honest opinion. The girl would be irrelevant to me, as I can fuck attractive women no matter where I am, but I suppose it's a nice bonus.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My daughter went to Las Vegas for a year to be with her boyfriend, and because of it she saw a little more of the world than just Southern California. She came back a little wiser and more mature. Travel does one good.

From personal experience I can tell you that N.Y.C. is awesome, and for intelligent people it is important to see a place where you could never be bored, and the different social climate is challenging. (GM is just a sample of who you can expect there!) There is so freakin' much to do and see there, I have been there dozens of times and still haven't seen everything.

Go for it man.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

I think it would be a good fit for you. Besides, I think a change like that may do you some good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
First money, then power, THEN women.
Perhaps it was your attitude that turns off women rather than your lack of money or 'power'.

Most women want to be loved. Or, at least the good ones do. The only kind of women you're going to find if money and power are your goals won't be the loving kind.

Become a loving and caring guy, and you'll find love yourself. [That, and I've known folks who found love overseas, in their backyards, and everywhere in between. ]
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Most women want to be loved. Or, at least the good ones do. The only kind of women you're going to find if money and power are your goals won't be the loving kind.
Just the smart kind.
I'd take angry sex with a girl who values a power over snuggling with a docile bitch who bakes cookies any day.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:14 AM   #13
jack_the_knife

In your position, I would go for it. I think your opportunities in education and employment would increase. You would also probably find more people in New York that share your ideals than in Texas.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
Sir Canvas Corpsey

What about a girl/guy who bakes you cookies by day and then has wild and angry (possibly fight) sex by night?

As for the topic at hand, if you feel like it, do it, just make sure you understand what can happen and be prepared to take responsibility and etc.
Nothng ventured, nothing gained as they say.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #15
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Perhaps it was your attitude that turns off women rather than your lack of money or 'power'.
It's a "Scarface" quote...
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #16
$haDe

Depended on the relationship, living possibilities and a few things like environment..etc etc etc...
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Just the smart kind.
I'd take angry sex with a girl who values a power over snuggling with a docile bitch who bakes cookies any day.
I wasn't talking about sex, though; you can care deeply for and love someone, and still have 'angry' sex or whatever.

My point is that, if this guy wants a girl who actually cares about him, he's going to have to change his attitude towards women.

If he just wants sex, then yeah, power and wealth will -definitely- get him some, PLUS the freshly-baked cookies. [What kind of person wouldn't drool at the smell of baking cookies anyways? Goth or not, cookies are still cookies!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
What about a girl/guy who bakes you cookies by day and then has wild and angry (possibly fight) sex by night?
Heh heh. Exactly. XD
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #19
Breathless Horror

I'd do it. Good luck either way man!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #20
chelseagirl

It depends....how large are her breasts?

lol, j/k, I say go for it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
Solumina

Moving someplace new when you have a great opportunity, such as a transfer to a highly regarded university, waiting there for you is a smart move, having someone there who you know simply makes it all the better. On the other hand if you like where you are and you really don't have much of a desire to move then don't.

Personally I'm already prepared to move for Jake but I don't really have strong ties in Newport News, I can't really afford to move back to Loudoun, and my chosen career path would be easy to follow anywhere so moving somewhere that Jake would have more opportunities just makes sense.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #22
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Travel does one good.
seconded . you should do it , come on , we are talking about NY .........
Old 12-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
Saya

It would depend on where he's going, if he's moving to the middle of nowhere, and we're not really super serious about each other, than no, because if we were to ever have a falling out I'd be stuck in the middle of nowhere. But somewhere like New York? Sure! Sounds like an adventure.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
I wasn't talking about sex, though; you can care deeply for and love someone, and still have 'angry' sex or whatever.
Something tells me Tam has never had angry sex.

Quote:
My point is that, if this guy wants a girl who actually cares about him, he's going to have to change his attitude towards women.
Mr. Filth never indicated that he didn't care about women, only that he cared about advancing himself more. That doesn't by any means indicate that he's incapable of love, or that women won't be attracted to him. In fact, women who are attracted to penniless losers with no influence of any kind are generally losers themselves, and so Mr. Filth's priorities are utterly logical.

Quote:
If he just wants sex, then yeah, power and wealth will -definitely- get him some, PLUS the freshly-baked cookies. [What kind of person wouldn't drool at the smell of baking cookies anyways? Goth or not, cookies are still cookies!
Nothing against cookies. I would just pick sex if it came down to it.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #25
korinna5555

I make good cookies..

Soli, I can't afford to stay in LoCo either. Justin and I are either moving back to Colorado, or up to Maryland.
I'd move for the girl/guy, but I'd also make sure there are other reasons for going where ever it is that I'd be going. I really want to body pierce professionally, and both the Denver and DC metro areas have numerous piercing shops.

Jilli-Alan, if you go to ABC No Rio, I will be insanely jealous.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote