Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
Darcnyss

What games would make good movies?

Yes, there have been quite a few games made into movies over the past few years. Some have been quite good while others just failed miserably.
Some that I actually enjoyed were:
The Resident Evil movies
Silent Hill
Alone in the Dark (So crucify me.)
D.O.A.

Here are some games which I think would make rather good movies.

F.E.A.R.
System Shock
Ultima
Realms of the Haunting
Baldur's Gate
Final Fantasy 6
Mass Effect
The Witcher
Devil May Cry
Penumbra Overture
American McGee's Alice

So, which games would you like to see as movies?
Darcnyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
Beneath the Shadows

I'm personally annoyed with all the movies made out of video games, comics, and graphic novels. You'd think they could have at least a little bit of originality.

Sure, some of the movies came out pretty well. But still.

If they had to take a video game and make it into a movie, I'd say Syphon Filter. That was a good series of games with a decent story-line behind it. Not exactly original, but it could be done well. After all, that type of movie isn't exactly knew, so any producer doing it would have something to study beforehand.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Nevan

I think Prey has some potential.

But your list pretty much sums it up for me - Devil may cry most certainly, as well as F.E.A.R and System shock.

*and I'd like to see a remake of Doom - because they really screwed that one up.*

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Dark Clarissa

There's an old PC game Ultima Ascension - that would be cool.
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
Methadrine

Making ALL of the Ultimas would be rather neat. Ofcourse, the spacestation/sequences etc in Ultima 1 might be a bit wacky but still.. *loves the Ultima games* Peter Jackson, start playing the games, dammit!

I'd like to see Arcanum made into a movie too. The world hasn't enough steampunk movies. And as Nevan states, Doom.. done proper this time, please. Come to think about it, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen and Wolfenstein would make fun movies too.

Eternal Darkness would make a great Lovecraftian movie.

The top no. 1 on my list would be all four Monkey Island games, and The Dig though. They wouldn't even have to rescript them.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Darcnyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine

I'd like to see Arcanum made into a movie too. The world hasn't enough steampunk movies.
I totally agree, Methadrine(Can't believe I left that one out. One of my favorite RPGs!)
Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
IsolatedReptile

I don't really want any new ones, since my favorite two were already done. I just want Resident Evil and Silent Hill to be redone and done better. More... Horror full for Resident Evil and just less explainable for Silent Hill. I want to walk out of the theater on that one and wonder if I'm getting the phone call in the morning because my mind was just royally screwed over.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Darcnyss

I would definitely like to see a movie based on Silent Hill 3. It would definitely tie in nicely with the first Silent Hill movie. (Just finished playing SH3)
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Methadrine

Evil Genius would make a fun movie too. Ok, Austin Powers sort of was something in that genre, but I want it to focus more on the mastermind/madman, rather than the bozos trying to stop him.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Delkaetre

Quote:
I'd like to see Arcanum made into a movie too. The world hasn't enough steampunk movies.
Yes! Agreement! Massive Amounts Of Agreement! God, I'd love to see Geoffrey Talleronde-Ashe on the big screen.
I do miss Arcanum...
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
L'Oiseau Noir

I think they should make an Elder Scrolls movie.

And I demand the main character be a Nord, since I think all of the other races suck compared to them. Well, except Wood Elves. I like them. And Dark Elvers are okay... but I despise Imperials, Bretons, an Altmer. Never cared about the beastfolk, either. And I hate Orcs.

But yes, Elder Scrolls. Don't know what plotline, but I'd like to see one based off of either Oblivion or Morrowind--I didn't like Arena or Daggerfall much.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcnyss
Mass Effect
American McGee's Alice
I don't know if Mass Effect would be good. =/ Because it is a role-playing and thus you can change the story line around. Hmm, well they can stick with the basic plot of the story. Human is enbale to join high ranks of the galaxy. Something bad happens. Human becomes high rank. Human chases alien. Human meets more allie aliens along the way. Human figures out whats going(even though that would be subject to change). Human kills bad guy alien.

They are making a American Mcgee's Alice movie. Its the one they have set for Geller to play Alice. I hope they don't fuck it up because I sincerly enjoyed that game. Also, I hear Burton is making a Alice game though I am not sure if its based off the story line of American Mcgee's Alice.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Eternal Darkness would make a great Lovecraftian movie.
I agree! It has a fantastic plot and seeing the antics they play out when your sanity meter goes low would be most fun to watch.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
Draconysius

Final Fantasy 7 would probably turn into the next Star Wars if it were made into a movie, though it would probably have to span across three or more separate films as well.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Final Fantasy 7 would probably turn into the next Star Wars if it were made into a movie, though it would probably have to span across three or more separate films as well.

Fangirls and Fanboys around the world would be lining up to the nearest theater, money in hand, and dressed as Cloud, Sephiroth, and so on to see Angelina Jolie as Tifa.

I'd love to see how many hairy fanboys I can count dressed as Aerith or Tifa. That'd be quite interesting.

And, remembering, they already made a movie. Final Fantasy: Advent Children. It just wasn't shown in theaters.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
dark_dragon_of_ice

warhammer fantasy or 40k.
Alien vs predator..oh wait..Just a decent avp movie please.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
warhammer fantasy or 40k.
Alien vs predator..oh wait..Just a decent avp movie please.
What was wrong with extinction?
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
dark_dragon_of_ice

I have no idea one of the 2 avp were called extinction..anyway they had too many humans and too little alien vs predator.
And the first one completely ignored predator lore...You wouldn't find a predator near the poles.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
Haunted House

Bioshock.

Enough said.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Darcnyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
I don't know if Mass Effect would be good. =/ Because it is a role-playing and thus you can change the story line around.
Well, a lot of the games I have chosen are actually RPGs. The fact that you can change the story around doesn't really matter in my opinion. All these games have a central storyline.

After all, Silent Hill has multiple endings, and a movie was made out of that...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcnyss
After all, Silent Hill has multiple endings, and a movie was made out of that...
Though Silent Hill wasn't a role-playing game but it did have muiltiple endings. I always thought that the bad endings were the intended endings of the game because they expect everyonet to get it that ending first.

I gave it some thought while I last checked her and I do believe that Mass Effect would make a awsome cyberpunk/sci-fi movie. I'm playing the game right now and I'm really enjoying it.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #22
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
||
||
|| O ||
||
||
||

Pong.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #23
Beneath the Shadows

Apparently, they are making a movie out of Halo.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #24
Madarame

I always felt that Deus Ex would make a good movie, infact there were plans to make one several years ago but last I heard it was cancelled. Kinda glad about that though I've yet to see a movie based on a game that I actually enjoyed and if that happened to Deus Ex I would likely be quite annoyed.

As for Final Fantasy 7 I don't really think it would work as movie, it just doesn't seem to fit the style. To be honest I feel that they only just about managed to make it work with Advent Children, live actors just would't seem right for some reason especially if Angelina Jolee was cast as Tifa. I wouldn't even be able to watch it if that happend lol. It would be great as an Anime series though, anyone who has seen "Final Fantasy 7 - Last Order" will know what I mean.

Final Fantasy 8 Would make a pretty good movie though.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #25
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madarame
I always felt that Deus Ex would make a good movie, infact there were plans to make one several years ago but last I heard it was cancelled. Kinda glad about that though I've yet to see a movie based on a game that I actually enjoyed and if that happened to Deus Ex I would likely be quite annoyed.

As for Final Fantasy 7 I don't really think it would work as movie, it just doesn't seem to fit the style. To be honest I feel that they only just about managed to make it work with Advent Children, live actors just would't seem right for some reason especially if Angelina Jolee was cast as Tifa. I wouldn't even be able to watch it if that happend lol. It would be great as an Anime series though, anyone who has seen "Final Fantasy 7 - Last Order" will know what I mean.

Final Fantasy 8 Would make a pretty good movie though.
I know, the whole Angelina Jolie thing was a joke. I just picked her name since she appears in so many damn movies, most having sucked in the end. I couldn't watch it either if she was cast as Tifa. I'd probably die on the inside.

Oh, and there is an anime OAV for Final Fantasy VII. It's called "Final Fantasy VII: Last Order."

In the link below I provided a screenshot from it involving Cloud and Zak. Enjoy.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...630/sque06.jpg

You can also probably watch it at the following links:

http://www.veoh.com

http://www.gofish.com (Not all are good quality though, but it could be one of the few that are).

http://www.dailymotion.com might also have it, but I doubt it. You can also try Youtube, but with how strict they've gotten I doubt you'll find it. Your best bet is either veoh or gofish.