Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #51
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestmoon
Does anyone have any good books to recommend?

Well this is a very unspecific question since "good books" can mean practically anything.
I'll give you some fiction ideas for now but next time try to be specific about genres, whether you want literary works, non-fiction et cetera

If you like fantasy I'd recommend by Neil Gaiman, Stardust, Neverwhere and American Gods. By Philip Pullman I'd recommend His Dark Materials trilogy which is (in order) - The Nothern lights, the Amber Spyglass and The Subtle Knife - those are good fantasy books.

If you like horror I'd say try anything from Dean Koontz like Odd Thomas (sequel is Forever Odd), Fear Nothing and it's sequel Seize the Night. You can also try Stephen King, personally I am not a huge fan of his but he's got some good ones like Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Dreamcatcher etc

I'm not sure what these come under, maybe mystery or sci-fi I'm not sure but James Patterson's When the Wind Blows and The Lake House are very good books. Also Sidney Sheldon's Doomsday Conspiracy is good too.

As for psychological thrillers I'd say one fantastic book, one of the best yet would be Dennis Lehane's, Shutter Island. John Katzenbach's The Analyst is not bad either.

If you like literature I'd recommend The Divine Comedy but Dante, Faust by Goethe, Tales for Transformation by Goethe, and anything from Shakespeare is a safe bet. I'd also recommend some poets such as works from Lord Byron, The Wasteland by T.S Eliot, Edgar Allen Poe has a great selection too of both poetry and short stories.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:38 AM   #52
Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemureDemise
That sounds most intriguing. Can someone recommend me some good fantasy reading?
I'd recommend Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea novels and short stories, íf you're into believable characters, realism, like the odd bit of philosophy and don't want the usual elves-dwarves-humans-orcs type of fantasy.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #53
Loy

Looking over my old list, I can't believe I forgot these.....

Herman Melville-well....anything really. Aside from "Moby Dick"....god how I despise "Moby Dick". Other than that, Melville's my top American/closet-case author ever.

Cormac McCarthy-"Blood Meridian", "All The Pretty Horses", "Suttree", "The Crossing", "Cities On The Plain"

Larry McMurty-"Lonesome Dove", "Streets Of Laredo", "Comanche Moon", "All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers", "The Last Picture Show"

Lord Dunsany-"Book Of Wonder", "51 Tales"....well, anything really. He was the main inspiration for both Tolkien AND Lovecraft! What more do I need to say?

Algernon Blackwood-"Ancient Sorceries", "In The Land Of Time", "The Empty House"....he wrote mostly short stories (if I'm remembering correctly. Take that as you may), so there are plenty of collections out there (such as the 3 I mentioned), but before as sometimes the same story will be in multiple collections.

Mow to come when I wake up more.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #54
Paper_Wings

Another book I thought was pretty good was, "Howl's moving castle" by Diana Wynne Jones (some of you might have seen the anime film). It was some what of an easy read but still really good.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #55
nuksaa

For Fantasy, I would recommend Melanie Rawn. 2 Series she has written, which I enjoy immensly, are the "Dragon Prince" and "Mageborn Traitor". They are about 600 pages each and her writing style is appraoched without fear. She develops characters whom you root for and then she kills them; and usually not in a heroic manner.

For Sci-Fi, I would recommend Dan Simmons "Hyperion" and "Endymion". Outstanding storytelling set in a supernet connected background.

For historical fiction fantasy, I would recommend Marrion Zimmer-Bradley for her Arthurian tales remade in a new and outstanding story. Also, Juliet Marrilier "Wolfskin" delves into to the world of the Viking berseker warrior with a little earth magic but focuses entirely on the story and not the 'magic'.

For any vampire novel fan, Richard Matheson "I Am Legend" is one of the best vampire novels I have ever read. "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price is based on this book.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #56
Lost_One

I have not read many books, but if I were to recommend some, I'd say Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth fantasy series. I think there's about 11 books or so in the series, each between 500 and 800 pages long.
Lost_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #57
end.of.eternity

The Book of Bunny Suicides by Andy Riley

A book of different bunny suicide pictures with naive humour. so naive that makes you laugh. I haven't read the Return of Bunny Suicides yet, but I hope it's as good as the first.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:12 AM   #58
PainisyourFriend

P.C. Hodgell: Godstalk, Dark of the Moon and Gates of Ivory
Fantasy with some cool premises surronding magic and multiple gods.

Michelle Sagara: Into the Darklands
Fantasy where good and evil are closer than you think

Anne Bishop: Black Jewels Trilogy
Matriarchial society with checks and balances failing.

S.M. Stirling: Anything
Alternate history: what would happen if?

L.E. Modesitt Jr
Quest/ Comming of Age novels

Wen Spencer: A Brother's Price
Interesting premise, 20 female births to every male birth. What society would result.

David Drake
Good military fiction

David Webber
Space Opera

John Ringo
Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Political (Mature audiences only)

Laurell Hamilton
More mature audiences only

Jacqueline Carey
More mature audiences only

Harry Turtledove: The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump
Funny
PainisyourFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:15 AM   #59
Corpsey

I cant c if anyone has already reccomended these books so i apoloigse if it already has

Tomorrow, when the war began is an awesome series of adventures in australia when war breaks out. not a war novel but the adventure of 8 australian teenagers who avoid capture from the orginal invasion but eventually have to fight to survive, definately worth the read.

The raging quiet is also good, whritten about how a woman is pretty much sold off to a lord's son who then dies and she has to survive the hostility and suspicion of being a witch in medieval england. her only friend is this deaf guy who also gets shocking treatment because the locals all think he's full of deamons just because he cant communicate with them

The day after forever is also awesome, all about how some high school people bond together from completely different backgrounds and just really makes you appreciate the life we have.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #60
victoria rain

Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote a short story titled "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings". It's a good read, but short. I recommend anything by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Poe (especially his poetry- it inspires me to write!), Lord Byron, William Faulkner (especaially "A Rose For Emily", that's a must-read), and Tolkien. I'm a huge fan of classic lit. I also recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. It begins with The Golden Compass and gets better until the last book. Oscar Wilde is pretty good. I'd start off with the short "The Nightingale and the Rose"... apparantly I'm a fan of short stories too.
victoria rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #61
KinkyKitten

Literary recommendation: Novel-Redemption

I have recently read 'Redemption' by English gothic author Wayne Sharrocks.
It is an excellent dark psychological tale that had me gripped throughout.
The story pulls you in and you get drawn into the feelings of the central character (Jamie) and you really feel for him when things get bad, yet he still manages to retain a quirky humour despite the dark picture that is often portrayed.
It's a fantastic, gothic , psychological thriller- well observed, well written and with charcters that linger long after the story has finished.
I cannot wait for the sequel.
(I purchased it from Amazon & was getting rave reviews there also).
KinkyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #62
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria rain
I also recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. It begins with The Golden Compass and gets better until the last book.

How come mine is called "The Nothern Lights"? Did he change titles or something?
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Old 05-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #63
victoria rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
How come mine is called "The Nothern Lights"? Did he change titles or something?
For some reason the US edition is titled The Golden Compass. Northern Lights, from what I've researched, is the UK title.
victoria rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #64
Virulent Dryad

Strangeness, oh well, I should remember that for future reference.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #65
Mr E Nigma

"The Plucker" by Brom.

I've already stated it in Art. But, thought I should here due to the subject.

The art in this story is incredible. Brom is indeed the man.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #66
Virulent Dryad

I recommend a book called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - Mark Haddon.
It's about an autistic/savant boy, a mathematical and scientific genius but he doesn't understand human expressions. He doesn't understand smiles and other facial gestures. He doesn't understand metaphors and things like that. It's a really interesting book.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #67
Minyaliel

I admit not having read the whole thread.... but I'd go for any book by Ayn Rand (both for litterary and philosophical qualities). She's a very good writer, and has some very interesting books. Her most famous books are "Anthem", "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged".
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:22 AM   #68
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
I recommend a book called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - Mark Haddon.
It's about an autistic/savant boy, a mathematical and scientific genius but he doesn't understand human expressions. He doesn't understand smiles and other facial gestures. He doesn't understand metaphors and things like that. It's a really interesting book.
I read that when it first came out. It's certainly something different and interesting.

I actually bought it at the same time as another one, TheTaxi Driver's Daughter. It's set in the gritty reality of the working-class North, but uses a lot of devices and features of fairytale. A fairly simple story, but so easy to get into and really pulls you in.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #69
WizardElement5

Rushing to Paradise by JG Ballard. A very dark read indeed.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #70
winged_dreams

Can you wonderful people help me with something? I know there are a lot of goth books out there (ones about the subculture and such). I don't even really consider myself a goth but I love learning about the subculture and all that jazz. Could anyone recommend any good books about goth? Thanks. ^^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 AM   #71
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardElement5
Rushing to Paradise by JG Ballard. A very dark read indeed.
I read a book of his a while back called Crash. I found it a little hard to get into - as a piece of literature, I found it quite accomplished (and very brave, conceptually - the narrator is a guy who gets off on car crashes, and sets about to engineer the perfect crash), but just not my sort of thing. I did have to kind of admire it, in a way, though. What's Rushing to Paradise about, Wiz?

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #72
Paper_Wings

Another book I really enjoyed was "Green Angel" by Alice Hoffman. short but amazing.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #73
bjork_freak

Someone lent me that, but I never got around to reading it.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #74
Paper_Wings

Wasn't that me?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #75
bjork_freak

Oh, sorry cuz. I basically neglected all of the books you lent me except for a few mangas...
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote