Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Garethsteen

Gareth says Hello

Ok here are my answers:

1. What do you do?: I'm a chemical engineer making chemicals for water and sewage treatment (because someone has to I guess).

2. Where are you from?: N.Ireland. Ballymena to be precise, known as the city of the seven towers, but it isn't a city and it no longer has seven towers. Typical.

3. Who is your favorite author?: Don't ask me to choose! I like Lovecraft, Tolkien, Micheal Crichton, Anthony Reynolds and Steven Saville.

4. What are your favorite films?: The Underworld trilogy and the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?: Nickleback - Burn it to the Ground.

6. At your funeral?: Metallica - Don't Tread on Me.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... How do you want to die?: With a weapon in my hands and a swear on my lips.

8. What kind of casket would you want?: Black with purple lining.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?: I'll tell you when I find it.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?: The simplicity of life.

11. What's your favorite band?: Nightwish.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?: Public secondary school before attending college before dropping out over 'creative differences'.

13. Why did you join?: I'd like to chat to people who don't automatically cross the road when I approach.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?: Male.

Anything else you want to know just ask.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Good answer to number 7... Though that could be because I'm in the middle of a cheesy fantasy series. :P

Welcome to G.Net.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci View Post
Good answer to number 7... Though that could be because I'm in the middle of a cheesy fantasy series. :P
That was pretty much the inspiration for that remark, except instead of fantasy in my case it was sci-fi. Never give ground to the enemy and die fighting, all the usual hyped up nonsense. Though that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Versus

Do you like Warhammer 40k? Dan Abnett's battles pump me up.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Do you like Warhammer 40k? Dan Abnett's battles pump me up.
I am obsessed with 40K, though find myself in a slight dilemma. I had my heart set on getting a new army and had settled on Imperial Guard, now after reading Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearer trilogy I'm seriously considering a Chaos Marine army. As for novels, I like Sandy Mitchell's stories, Caiphas Cain being my favourite though I did love Titanicus by Abnett.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethsteen View Post
I am obsessed with 40K, though find myself in a slight dilemma. I had my heart set on getting a new army and had settled on Imperial Guard, now after reading Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearer trilogy I'm seriously considering a Chaos Marine army. As for novels, I like Sandy Mitchell's stories, Caiphas Cain being my favourite though I did love Titanicus by Abnett.
Have you read Eisenhorn or Ravenor from Abnett? People will swear up and down for Gaunt's Ghosts, but personally, I think he does the "ever day life" of the Imperium the best. Eisenhorn was especially good. It's kind of like detective film noir in WH40k. Aside from that, the overall plot arc was amazing. From the first person, you see a complete transformation of the main character over the course of three books.

Also, Chaos is really fun to play simply because of how obnoxious it is sometimes.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Garethsteen

Quote:
Have you read Eisenhorn or Ravenor from Abnett? People will swear up and down for Gaunt's Ghosts, but personally, I think he does the "ever day life" of the Imperium the best. Eisenhorn was especially good. It's kind of like detective film noir in WH40k. Aside from that, the overall plot arc was amazing. From the first person, you see a complete transformation of the main character over the course of three books.

Also, Chaos is really fun to play simply because of how obnoxious it is sometimes.
I have read both and yes I agree with you about the character of Eisenhorn. To watch him slowly slip into radicalism all the while trying to justify his actions is very absorbing. Though I enjoyed it, Ravenor was lacking something compared to Eisenhorn, though I can't really say too much against it as it did introduce easily one of the best characters of the two series: Zygmunt Molotch.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethsteen View Post
I have read both and yes I agree with you about the character of Eisenhorn. To watch him slowly slip into radicalism all the while trying to justify his actions is very absorbing. Though I enjoyed it, Ravenor was lacking something compared to Eisenhorn, though I can't really say too much against it as it did introduce easily one of the best characters of the two series: Zygmunt Molotch.
Agreed! I loved how in the end, Eisenhorn was only left with Cherubael. It was fittingly dramatic to see him left alone with his nemesis.

I agree that Ravenor felt like it came up short next to Eisenhorn, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was stronger in focus then Eisenhorn, but I might attribute that solely to Molotch. He was an amazing character, and it kind of upset me the way he came to an end. I always imagined Ravenor as Ahab, and Molotch his Whale. He brought his band to hell to get him, but instead of chasing one another into obscurity, it just stopped. Maybe I just don't like happy endings?

Along those lines, I recently discovered Abnett is writing another trilogy titled Elizibeth Bequin. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Garethsteen

Quote:
Along those lines, I recently discovered Abnett is writing another trilogy titled Elizibeth Bequin. I'm looking forward to it.
Yes I heard of this, though I didn't know the details. All I heard was he aimed to write a 'trilogy of trilogies'.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Fruitbat

I love the pirate trilogies and Lord of the rings (the movies) - haven't read the books.

Welcome aboard me harties

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
Garethsteen

I have read the books, though it was a long time ago. If I remember correctly, they can be a bit long winded in their approach. Not to memtion that Bombadil character.