Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #201
Anti-Mindvirus

Why does everyone care about this so fucking much? Can't you all just leave it alone? Let people do whatever makes them feel better about themselves. sheesh, grow up.
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #202
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Mindvirus
Why does everyone care about this so fucking much? Can't you all just leave it alone? Let people do whatever makes them feel better about themselves. sheesh, grow up.
Can't you just leave us alone? Lets us ask some freaking questions. Seesh, you grow up.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #203
Anti-Mindvirus

I have not bothered you on this. Are you so easily upset?
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #204
Underwater Ophelia

Whenever I want to reply to you seriously, I get swept away by the KITTY!

It's SO cute! Look at it's funny whiskers! And it's tiny nosey!!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #205
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Haggis!

A man can live off of nothing but haggis and scotch.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #206
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Mindvirus
I have not bothered you on this. Are you so easily upset?
No. I'm mocking you. You're the one that got so easily upset. The fact that my post is a direct plagiarism from yours should indicate that you already know so.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #207
Tea and Cake or Death

I was veggie for years. Then I quit. I heart meat.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #208
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
I am, mainly because I just feel better without meat. And I rarely get sick because of the way I eat - my immune system is so strengthened that if I get ill, I can be sure it'll pass faster than normal. I have mono right now, unfortunately, I've had it for about a week now, but it seems it might be over in about two or three weeks. I "blame" my diet. On the bad side, you always risk getting an anemia. But, no real moral issues made me a veggie. I must admit, though, that after becoming vegetarian, I became more aware of the issues surrounding eating meat/ meat production etc. I'm glad I quit eating that stuff, although I of course respect you carnivores out there who choose to stuff yourselves with dead animals. Each to their own.
I know what it's like to have mono. It sucks ass, I know. Don't worry, it will pass. Has a doctor given you meds for it?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #209
TopHaggardDoll

Vegans and Vegetarians are funny.

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years (I was a headstrong child) I fully understand the issues and of course farming has come a long way...but I always think to myself that there is something I am not being told. If you're gunna eat meat...Local Butcher for the win, it's less likely to be treated in a crap way. I also wont eat meat because I have this thing where I see animals as my mates and that we should hang out sometime...yes...strange. Anyway!

Sometimes, vegans and veggies shove all this shit in your face so much that it just makes me want to eat a cow...right in front of them. Then again...I can't...because cows are my mates and all that jazz.
I'm sure you have all experienced the same thing. You can tell the people who have been veggies for like...just a few years or something because they're "ALL FOR THE CAUSE!" Long time veggies start to get slightly apathetic towards certain things because extremists are releasing mink or some shit into the british country side, completely ruining the eco system. And you're sitting there with your head in your hands thinking..."Please...noone associate me with them..."

Bad times.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #210
Agent17

I'm a vegetarian, mostly because I hate eating so there is no need for me to eat meat. I simply hate all meat products.
Agent17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #211
ThreeEyesOni

I actually had a biiiig reply here. And then my wifi crapped out. So I'm ditching that.

I am an omnivore. I eat meat, and feel a minimum of remorse for the various animals that contributed to my meals. The death of a chicken is not the same as the death of a human being; chickens do not write poetry, they do not rocket to space, and they do not camp spawnpoints in first-person shooters. Some individuals from livestock species are indeed rather intelligent, but then again the average farm chicken is so inbred that it's lucky to be able to stand. And moreso, it is not sentient.

I support vegetarians and wish them all the luck, but I've never known one in real life who hadn't screwed thier bodies up (sometimes permanently) due to chronic malnutrition. I personally will hold my stance that humanely treated livestock is perfectly acceptable.

That said, the main problem between vegetarians and meat-eaters is the fact that neither group can seem to do anything other than ridicule the other, and in the case of vegetarians they can get downright offensive and aggressive. I've never heard stories of someone tossing a bucket of salad on a vegetarian and screaming "leaf eater" for instance.

If you have a radical belief, keep it to yourself. That's all that's necessary to get allong.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #212
KontanKarite

I'm an omnivore with vegetarian tendencies. I prefer a good does of veggies.

Being a pure meat eater is kind of a fallacy as well as being an ill informed vegetarian.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #213
BLEED REBELION!!!

I was thinking about going Vegan, but its too hardm, and I at this time "cant"..

But the vegan thing got me wondering about definitions. If I am a "vegan" And I do NOT eat any animal flesh or products, but I use things like soap and make up that contain animal products am I really a vegan?

Does vegan just mean what you eat? Or does it extend to the products you use etc?

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #214
ionic_angel

I like meat, and find that I function better when I eat a moderate amount of it.

My family use to raise and slaughter our own chickens. I think I have both an understanding of the factors involved with killing an animal, and also an appreciation of the taste of home-grown food.

Of course, I suppose that makes me evil incarnate in some people's eyes. But when a chicken composes an opera, I'll swear off it.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #215
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
If I am a "vegan" And I do NOT eat any animal flesh or products, but I use things like soap and make up that contain animal products am I really a vegan?
That's a nice observation, but although there could be someone that does that and calls themself a vegan, it would defeat the whole purpose. Real vegans would consider these things.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #216
ZombiesNTea

I'm going vegetarian when the meat-product foods I have in my apartment are gone. For environmental reasons.

It takes the production of eight pounds of grain (to feed the animals), to produce one pound of meat. The animal industry actually causes more pollution than cars.
ZombiesNTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #217
Godslayer Jillian

With the latter, I agree. But not with the former. It is a fact that the production of one pound of meat is the same as the production of eight pounds of grain, but that's no more than rhetoric and a half-truth.
Vegans say that to have another argument, but they have consciously reduced the scope to just industrial production because the broad context of this statement works against them.
The work needed for one pound of meat is the same as needed for eight pounds of grain, yet grain needs more land. If we were to become all vegans, the lands set aside for grazing wouldn't be enough to cover the human population. The amount of food we can get from, let's say, a hundred acres of grazing land with animals at its max capacity with no environmental deterioration is much larger than the amount of food we can extract if those hundred acres were used for agriculture.
In fact, if we wanted as least human involvement in the world as possible, it would be better to have a culture of shepherds, and even better foragers and hunters.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #218
DarkenedReveries

I am also a vegetarian, though I do not shove my beliefs unto others. I think that people should be more aware, but I also think that we all have a right to live the way we want to.
DarkenedReveries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #219
Catch

I'm not a vegetarian. I was one for maybe less than six months as a teen. Quite frankly it was too difficult, when no one I know is also a vegetarian. Yep, people often believe chicken and fish are vegetables. So it was eat meat or starve.

However, I have gotten better about eating less meat and animal by products. One thing I noticed as a vegetarian/vegan is the food in restaurants tastes bad. If I had enough money I may open my own chain of vegan restaurants. Some of my favorties were the Tofu Shake, made with soy milk. Green and Kidney bean salad is also delightful. Vegan pizza also yummy.

Yah, it seems without meat or dairy the food gets extra acidic and hard to eat. It is like they don't even try out the food they serve. Since finding out that a small amount is needed to live healthy, I'll probably always have a little meat, but meat is so over-rated.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #220
Moni-que

I cut out all animal products and the change I saw in my body was awesome.

The mass processing of animals for slaughter causes them to shoot all sorts of hormones and things into the cows and chickens that is not natural. Its not the flesh I don't want to ingest, its the unnatural things they give them make the meat grow faster, and keep the animals bloated on steroids and things so they do not get sick. Its all profit driven. $$$.

And it is hard, you really have to enjoy cooking and preparing food to have a good experience as a vegetarian.

and to Catch, once your body cleans itself of flesh and animal products that sort of "sit" in your intestines and clog up your body, you won't get heartburn and have the acidic reactions to eating salad and veggies so much anymore.

You don't need meat. There is a book by that name, I suggest everyone read it and learn.

now I watch out for speeding buses.
Moni-que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #221
badteccy

I am a pescatarian (I soooometimes eat fish). I did it because meat is kinda gross.
I feel better and slightly skinnier, too.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #222
Despanan

Personally as long as they don't go "Holier than thou" on me, and as long as they aren't members of PETA I'm fine with them.

In my opinion, unless you're eating babies or something*, diet is not really a moral/ethical issue. Even the Dalai Llama eats meat (for his health) for crying out loud. Veganism/vegitarianism is an acceptable choice for a sedentary diet, however currently I'm out thru-hiking the Appalachain trail, due to the sheer amount of calories the average thru-hiker burns through in a day (5000-6000) a vegatarian/vegan would soon find themselves malnourished out here. Vegetable protien can't match up to animal protien for the most part.

*It would probably be amoral to feed a baby a vegan diet, as it causes them to, ya know, die.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #223
Barfing_Rat

Hey Catch, I'm gonna to make a thread on business after I post this. You'd be surprise by how you can start business with so little moneys. You just need to have right knowledge, network, and everything.

To Despanan, many people are confused about Buddhist. They're not forbidden from eating meat. The reason so many think they're vegetarians is because they're forbidden from slaughtering animals or witnessing the action. Also I believe some aren't allows to eat meat that have bones in it (T bone steak, drumstick/chicken wings, etc...) because sign of bones is consider indecent which is the reason you'll see many asian women cover their mouth when laughing.
However they can eat all meat they want everyday if they didn't witness or take part in the slaughtering. So if they live in place where they can just walk into grocery and buy butchered meat, they surely will eat meat if they like it.
Some type of Buddhist even encourage to eat meat such as Nepal Buddhist. This is because they live in high steep mountain and difficult climate. So they have to eat meat for the protein because they cannot get enough from vegetable lone.

I'm not a vegetarian in any way. No offend to anyone... But I am just amazed that people can live without meat. I've tried to go without any animals product for a couple days in past and I remember feeling so sick, nonstopping hungriness, weaker, and exhausted all of the time. So I am just really surprised people can live without meat.
Other thing I notice is, I have many goth/punk friends, one doctor, and a couple others who are vegetarian and they look good. However for almost everyone else, they usually look really gross. Their skin color are just horrible, their muscles are sag and flabby, their eyes sort of puff out, etc... It is a gross sight! I don't understand this at all.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #224
badteccy

I hate it when vegetarians/vegans go all PETA on everyone. I joke about it, but I don't care what you eat.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #225
honeythorn

I don't eat red meat. I simply don't like it. I will eat free range chicken, and local eggs that I know are very free range indeed, as I have seen the chickens walking about ( and trying to eat my shoes ) . I eat a little dolphin friendly tuna also.

I have no problem with meat and raising animals for food if they are well kept and free range.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote