Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
homo-adonis

Any cool Goth music magazines left out there?

Went to my local Newstand today and picked up a copy of Outburn. This magazine used to cater to gothic and Darkwave music seems like its format has changed or maybe I am out of touch. Can anyone recommend any other mags besides Propaganda wich is 95% fashion and 5% music. Are there any left out there?
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Elliot

As far as music news, etc. is concerned, there's becoming less interesting magazines for ANY genre.

I'm sure there is an interesting webzine somewhere, but they aren't the same.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Draconysius

Drop Dead magazine is pretty much the only still running magazine dedicated to traditional gothic rock, deathrock, and horrorpunk. It's an excellent little mag. http://dropdeadmagazine.com
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Neurosis

Unless you are fluent in German, there is the magazine Zillo.

I would also suggest Gothic Beauty (US), which is a fashion magazine, but has a good deal of music reviews (four pages long all of music reviews), and artist interviews. I'd say it's about 50% fashion, 50% music.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

I'm not sure about Gothic Beauty. There was a very popular thread called 'Why I Think Gothic Beauty is God-awful'

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
BlackButterfly

My boyfriend brought me a copy of that rag when I was shopping for manga at Borders. It was OK, but I wouldn't really read it on a regular basis.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
Tha Duckman

Bite Me is decent.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Neurosis

Well don't look at me! I only read Gothic Beauty at times because it provides me some resources on what's going on with the Goth community, outside the Internet.

But I do agree, there are elements in that magazine that have people say it's a "rag". I know people who live outside of the US who says they'll kill to have Gothic Beauty in their bookstore shelves. Don't ask me why.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
SKot

I second the recommendation for Drop Dead. It's the only decent magazine in the US right now, I'd say. Gothic Beauty is eye candy with a tiny bit of substance, but not much. I don't think it's really helping the scene progress in any way.

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
Draconysius

I love Drop Dead so much I got the gold subscription, which gave me all back issues, not to mention the next issue comes with a free Drop Dead t-shirt. Shame on you all for not going gold! >=p

Next issue has an article on Alien Sex Fiend, btw.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Kamrusepas

I recently picked up a copy of Orkus, it seems pretty decent to me.
What the world is really like
Kamrusepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
angelic mortician

Location: ye olde isle of man (that insignificant isle floating around in the irish sea)
As far as music magazines go, if you're not into all this fuckin emo shit, the answer would remain as ' very few and far between ', and yes, you would probably have to go as far as Germany or Norway to get a decent read or review.
angelic mortician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
Crimson_seele

I read a magazine called "Side-line". It's UK based, but as far as I know they don't sell it on stands, you have to order it online (7 Euros with shipping included worldwide). It's BY FAR the best magazine that's concerned with Goth-DarkWave-EBM-Industrial types of music (and has awesome reviews and interviews. I would suggest you check it out:

http://www.side-line.com

The only problem with it is that it only comes out 4 times a year... but other than that it is an AWESOME magazine.

BTW, I like Gothic Beauty... I don't know why so many people are against it (perhaps because it opens Goth to the "masses"?). I think it is a good effort in actually having a publication for the people interested in Goth in general. I agree that it probably doesn't stand on its own as the only means of information for anyone who's into Goth, but at least it helps having an actual magazine dedicated to it.

Just my opinion, though.
Crimson_seele is offline   Reply With Quote