Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #76
JCC

Fincher worked wonders considering that he was working from a Palahnuik novel, but it's still pretty mediocre.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #77
Necrophagist

War of Worlds: what a gay and pointless ending.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #78
Still Jack

Even though I now realize that Palahniuk is a crap author. I still like Fight Club quite a lot. That's mainly because It stood out so much from the other shit I was reading at that age. ( Harry Potter, Anthony Horowitz bollocks, Star Wars books.) After that I began reading more and got into stuff like Asimov, Heinlein, then Wilde, Shaw, Stevenson, Twain and various others.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #79
Pineapple_Juice

No no no no no. Palahniuk is the man, forever and ever amen. Fight Club the movie sucked because it was a bad movie, the same way that Choke sucked because it was a bad movie. Fight Club and Choke are fantastic books.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #80
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
No no no no no. Palahniuk is the man, forever and ever amen. Fight Club the movie sucked because it was a bad movie, the same way that Choke sucked because it was a bad movie. Fight Club and Choke are fantastic books.
Are Fight Club and Choke the only books you've ever read? Even then I would be surprised if you thought they were better than mediocre.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #81
Sinjob

(on a related topic, I'm still pretty psyched for the Invisible Monsters movie-I hope they murder my favorite Palahniuk book)

The ending of the Butterfly Effect (if it hasn't already been mentioned) didn't impress me too much, not to mention being predictable...City of Angels kills it for endings too.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #82
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Are Fight Club and Choke the only books you've ever read? Even then I would be surprised if you thought they were better than mediocre.
I've read and own Fight Club, Choke, Lullaby, Invisible Monsters, Rant, Haunted, Diary, *****, and Survivor.

Diary and Haunted suck, but the rest are good. What's that got to do with anything?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #83
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I've read and own Fight Club, Choke, Lullaby, Invisible Monsters, Rant, Haunted, Diary, *****, and Survivor.

Diary and Haunted suck, but the rest are good. What's that got to do with anything?
No, I mean, have you read any books that aren't by Palahnuik and don't suck?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #84
gothicusmaximus

The Fight Club movie was leagues better than the book, just because it didn't feature Palahniuk's prose. In fact, I think Chuck might have actually admitted it at one point. Even if the film had just been a slideshow, with dialogue read over static pictures of Brad Pitt's face, it would have been better.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #85
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
No, I mean, have you read any books that aren't by Palahnuik and don't suck?
That's entirely subjective, methinks. Finished reading Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. Thought that was pretty damn amazing.