Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
MacabreHellgrave

Being 'alternative' in a small town.

This post'll be part rant, and part general discussion.

I live on Vancouver Island, which is on the west coast of Canada. I grew up in a small bumblefuck town called Courtenay, with people who think they're rednecks purely because they threw on some plaid and drive big trucks, though with a side order of country music. There aren't a hell of a lot of young people here either; most people are late 20s to mid 30s in age. I plan on getting the fuck off this rock as quickly as I can because there are so few people here that are like me. I'd prefer to move to some place where there is a 'goth' club nearby, so that way, I can have regular nights out instead of staying home listening to Sanctuary internet radio and dancing.
I get scorned by these idiots for having the audacity to look them in the eye as they're driving by me walking down the street. I'm not very alternative in appearance either; just a pale man in black with dirty blonde hair. Apparently, this makes me scum of the earth

Only place I'd live on this island is Victoria, a slightly bigger place where I've gone to university for the past 4 years now (I have one more year before I graduate). I've learned to love it there and there's a decent bar, that will play something other than Top 40. It's a great little rock club, IMO.

..... Back to the topic at hand- how many others share a similar situation? Are you the town 'freak'?
MacabreHellgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Daywalker

This sounds like a tell all book no one cares its life.Get a can of whoop ass and go over there and open it up on those sorry son of bitchs!
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Stitchy.

I sort of do though I usually kind of enjoy it in a way but beleive me wherever the hell I live in florida is packed with old women now I realise they won't try to hunt you like your rednecks but the way they look at you...you'd think they where going to like explode which is the fun part haha but yes I sort of do live in a similar situation hope you get to move out soon.
Stitchy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Saya

Okay, maybe growing up in a town with a population of less than 800 is colouring my thinking, but Courtenay has a population of over 21, 000. Its not a small town, its a small city. And Victoria is only MARGINALLY better? It has a population of over 78, 000. Granted, thats smaller than St. John's, but its so gorgeous, rich in culture and so diverse I'd give my ovaries to live there. We can switch places, you can enjoy St.John's lametastic goth scene while I enjoy being in a nice clean city.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Malice In Wonderland

How often does this thread appear anyway?
"Bwaaaaah, there are no goths in my backwater shithole."

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
blindNsect

I find a lil pride in knowing that I am unique to my locale.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Ben Lahnger

You know, it's been my experience that in general, people who try to be considerate and respectful of others get consideration and respect back. If you are a jerk to people or insist that they recognize and celebrate your differences, you're probably going to get an adverse reaction.

But Malice is right. This same thread keeps being recreated every month or two by a new person who feels it's unfair that they live somewhere where nobody understands them and everybody is so square. And every time a bunch of us respond with comments like "Waaaaaahhhh waaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Stop your whining, you big baby!" and "Grow up and stop bitching because the world doesn't revolve around you!"

It all boils down to wanting attention for being different. And to tell you the truth, even if you were amongst a crowd of the coolest goths ever, they would all find your attitude a turn-off.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
blindNsect

Goths are elitist assholes.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
JCC

Strange that a self-proclaimed alternative kid is bothered that nobody else dresses like him.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
MacabreHellgrave

Yes, my attitude sucks. I won't bother trying to come back with notions of, "Well, I don't intentionally do anything to piss them off" or the like because in truth I'm in the wrong so much that I think I'm right.

As we're all aware, people like me get our's eventually. And then we fade away, while everyone else soars higher than us.

I might think I'm the king; however I have no subjects and not a lot of territory. In essence, I'm more like the crazy, angry homeless guy in the gutter than anything magnificent.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
MacabreHellgrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindNsect View Post
Goths are elitist assholes.
And you wouldn't have it any other way
Old 05-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreHellgrave View Post
Yes, my attitude sucks. I won't bother trying to come back with notions of, "Well, I don't intentionally do anything to piss them off" or the like because in truth I'm in the wrong so much that I think I'm right.

As we're all aware, people like me get our's eventually. And then we fade away, while everyone else soars higher than us.

I might think I'm the king; however I have no subjects and not a lot of territory. In essence, I'm more like the crazy, angry homeless guy in the gutter than anything magnificent.
Even your trying too hard seems to be trying too hard.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #13
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
You know, it's been my experience that in general, people who try to be considerate and respectful of others get consideration and respect back. If you are a jerk to people or insist that they recognize and celebrate your differences, you're probably going to get an adverse reaction.

But Malice is right. This same thread keeps being recreated every month or two by a new person who feels it's unfair that they live somewhere where nobody understands them and everybody is so square. And every time a bunch of us respond with comments like "Waaaaaahhhh waaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Stop your whining, you big baby!" and "Grow up and stop bitching because the world doesn't revolve around you!"

It all boils down to wanting attention for being different. And to tell you the truth, even if you were amongst a crowd of the coolest goths ever, they would all find your attitude a turn-off.
Yeah, never worked for me, I'm still hugely popular and loved by all.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
korinna5555

Solumina, google map Courtenay. Are you laughing as hard as I am? He thinks HE lives in a bumblefuck town with rednecks.. obviously he's never been to Lovettsville. XD
Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Solumina

Hahaha it looks like there are literally thousands of things to do there, sure some of them are most likely expensive and/or boring but it could be loads worse. Lovettsville is up to I think five restaurants and a library, but hey that's four restaurants and a library more than Waterford. Why do people keep thinking that if they don't live in a large city then they live in a small town?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
blindNsect

Lovettsville has nothing on Oakfield, Ga. But I don't live there anymore.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Hahaha it looks like there are literally thousands of things to do there, sure some of them are most likely expensive and/or boring but it could be loads worse. Lovettsville is up to I think five restaurants and a library, but hey that's four restaurants and a library more than Waterford. Why do people keep thinking that if they don't live in a large city then they live in a small town?
Hahaha, where I'm from there's one fast food place, that has like four tables in there, and really no one goes there to sit down and eat anymore since the schools all shut down, its all take out. No library either, absolutely nothing to do except going hiking, or waste your pay check on the lotto machines at the one and only bar that is a total dive. I hate visiting mom now for more than a few days, I get cabin fever really quickly.

I have to restrain myself when people refer to St.John's as a small town and say "there's nothing to do here!". YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I lived outside of Lincoln (surrounded by 2,000 acres of cow farms) before I moved to Lovettsville. Lincoln has a few houses, an elementary school, a cemetery, and a Quaker meeting house.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
Ben Lahnger

The first place I moved to in Texas (on advice from a friend who offered a free place to stay for a bit) was a cowboy dunghole, where I had to drive 60 miles to find a bookstore. It was a dry county so there were no bars, but there was a country western club where you could line dance.

For the time I lived there I basically stayed holed up in my house watching satellite TV. It was the only time in my life since I quit doing drugs that I wanted to be constantly medicated.

Lincoln sounds pretty bad too.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
This post'll be part rant, and part general discussion.

I live on Vancouver Island, which is on the west coast of Canada. I grew up in a small bumblefuck town called Courtenay, with people who think they're rednecks purely because they threw on some plaid and drive big trucks, though with a side order of country music. There aren't a hell of a lot of young people here either; most people are late 20s to mid 30s in age. I plan on getting the fuck off this rock as quickly as I can because there are so few people here that are like me. I'd prefer to move to some place where there is a 'goth' club nearby, so that way, I can have regular nights out instead of staying home listening to Sanctuary internet radio and dancing.
I get scorned by these idiots for having the audacity to look them in the eye as they're driving by me walking down the street. I'm not very alternative in appearance either; just a pale man in black with dirty blonde hair. Apparently, this makes me scum of the earth

Only place I'd live on this island is Victoria, a slightly bigger place where I've gone to university for the past 4 years now (I have one more year before I graduate). I've learned to love it there and there's a decent bar, that will play something other than Top 40. It's a great little rock club, IMO.

..... Back to the topic at hand- how many others share a similar situation? Are you the town 'freak'?
So what you're saying is you're sick of being alternative and want to go somewhere where your interests ae mainstream?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
MacabreHellgrave

Yeah, or at least a place where there's more regular events held.

Example: Seattle. I think there's a club there called 'Mercury' that actually is a gothic/alternative club. It's membership-only, however if one either a friend of someone already part of the scene or has keen interpersonal skills, one can gain entry into that place. I might get flamed for saying this, however I believe I at least would have a *shot* with the latter method. I probably should have mentioned this in my introduction, but there is so much about me that you have to experience first-hand in person.

There's a local event in Victoria, but I'm not wanted there. It's a tale I care not to retell.

... In future posts, I'll try to keep myself looking as someone who is making sense and has a good head on his shoulders and less of a whiner. After all , it all doesn't have the same effect as it does whence I am in a face-to-face conversation with you. My humour, as an example is hit or miss; you not being able to hear exactly where the punch line lies and the facial expression I've supplied with it doesn't help matters much.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #22
Saya

Quote:
Yeah, or at least a place where there's more regular events held.

Example: Seattle. I think there's a club there called 'Mercury' that actually is a gothic/alternative club. It's membership-only, however if one either a friend of someone already part of the scene or has keen interpersonal skills, one can gain entry into that place. I might get flamed for saying this, however I believe I at least would have a *shot* with the latter method. I probably should have mentioned this in my introduction, but there is so much about me that you have to experience first-hand in person.
ITS A TRAP.

Quote:
There's a local event in Victoria, but I'm not wanted there. It's a tale I care not to retell.

... In future posts, I'll try to keep myself looking as someone who is making sense and has a good head on his shoulders and less of a whiner. After all , it all doesn't have the same effect as it does whence I am in a face-to-face conversation with you. My humour, as an example is hit or miss; you not being able to hear exactly where the punch line lies and the facial expression I've supplied with it doesn't help matters much.
Yeah I was also going to add that it does seem like Victoria has a scene, but okay. Still, Sarah Kramer lives there! If Sarah Kramer can live there than it must be an awesome place.

Vancouver I hear has decent events, I dunno about the provinces in between BC and Ontario. They must, I guess, in the big cities.

Regardless, I really don't consider myself goth and only in the last few months discovered that there was any number of them here that are not in high school, there's no clubs but I think they attach themselves to S&M events or something. Anyway, I don't feel like its something to whine about anyway that there's no bars nearby who play the music you want and the people there wear clothes like yours. You can find friends who aren't gawfic but still totally awesome, and probably more awesome than most goths anyway, and clubs who's music is at least tolerable.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
I lived outside of Lincoln (surrounded by 2,000 acres of cow farms) before I moved to Lovettsville. Lincoln has a few houses, an elementary school, a cemetery, and a Quaker meeting house.
God even Waterford has more shit to do than Lincoln. My historic village is better than yours
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #24
korinna5555

I miss living in Lincoln. I miss the stars, the peace and quiet, the trees, etc.

I never realized just how much I hated street lights until I moved in to this apartment, where the street light is *perfectly* aligned with my bedroom window. It's like a cruel joke.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Solumina

Yeah, I think that is one of the reasons why I like working evenings, on the drive home there are pretty much no lights so I actually still know why the night sky looks like without tons of light pollution. Also Jake thinks its weird that I'm obsessed with curtains and blinds because I think it is too bright, he can't seem to get it in his head how dark I think it should be at night.
-Carbon Leaf