Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
CuckooTuli

Can anyone (Saya??) recommend me some good material on kiriarchy?

Online or otherwise is fine - obviously Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza is redundant at this stage in my reading, so am looking for uses/explorations of her theory.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Saya

You know, I haven't read a whole lot about it myself. I like the term and use it but I had to look it up online, according to the index of my big bad book of Feminist Theory its never mentioned once!

I think this is the first time the book has failed me D:
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
CuckooTuli

It's pretty new... 2008 or thereabouts, I think. Difficulty is, I'm trying to put together a research proposal, and the working bibliography is giving me gyp. No worries - I guess I'll just angle it more towards the topics I want to apply the kiriarchy to.

Thanks anyway though; I guess it's heartening to know the book has failed you, in the sense that I'm pretty sure there can't be that much on it if both Google and you can't tell me anything I don't know about it. Yay intellectual freedom (i.e. freedom to talk shit without there already being a school of theory aganst you)!
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Alan

To be honest, I kind of feel the concept of kiriarchy is just an academic attempt at naming issues that have been already addressed in feminism, anticolonialism, and poststructuralism, in such a way that it just sounds new.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
CuckooTuli

Actually I don't completely disagree. But I do appreciate it for the way it brings different forms of social stratification together in direct relation to one another, and prioritises that direct relation over the more specific issues and dialogues between particular groups. It also places the idea of how privilege can impact relations between marginalised groups at the forefront of its framework; nothing "new" as such, but something I've nonetheless found useful.

Granted, it's ultimately a new name for a not so new concept, and may not add much to the existing discourses any any specific marginal group; but it's a tidy umbrella for bringing them together without having to get specific about the links I'd propose making between them. Which works for me as I only have 1500 words.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Saya

I like the term because in my experience, certain people in certain movements need to check their privilege and have theories of privilege and intersectionality rewritten and redefined until it finally sinks in. Its something some people need beat over their head over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
It's pretty new... 2008 or thereabouts, I think. Difficulty is, I'm trying to put together a research proposal, and the working bibliography is giving me gyp. No worries - I guess I'll just angle it more towards the topics I want to apply the kiriarchy to.

Thanks anyway though; I guess it's heartening to know the book has failed you, in the sense that I'm pretty sure there can't be that much on it if both Google and you can't tell me anything I don't know about it. Yay intellectual freedom (i.e. freedom to talk shit without there already being a school of theory aganst you)!
Ah, that's why, the book only goes up to the end of the third wave.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote