Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Goth.... Born or Made....
I believe a person is born gothic in nature.... 74 54.81%
I beleive a person metamorphs or evolves into a goth..... 61 45.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #126
edible_eye

who's a cunt? me?

hahaha

i wish i was a cunt. i'd put things in myself, strap a giant vibrator on my clit and spend the day having orgasms.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #127
creepylittleshit

I wasn't really calling anyone a cunt. But I though this pic was funny so i posted it.
creepylittleshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #128
edible_eye

oh...

well then...

forget what i said.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 AM   #129
OnixxFilth

That's funny, edible_eye. I used to try to cross-stitch, but I was too impatient. I do however do latch-hook, although I sense I am losing patience with that, too. From being born or made a goth to tea to crafts...
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #130
spookypurple

Born (if anything). Herb tea (preferably licorice).
Just wish I had the patience for needlecraft.

e_e, would you ever consider taking it up?
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #131
edible_eye

i'd consider taking you up, lovely spooky. the way you're looking over your shoulder... god damn. i'm feeling a lust-on coming down the pike.

as for needlepoint, i don't think i have the time. if i get a chance to learn and practice anything new, i believe it'll be bartending before needlepoint. but you're more than welcome to come practice naked needlepoint on the bar while i'm serving drinks.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:20 AM   #132
ImaginaryLife

I think that to be goth, you have got to be able to, not only appreciate, but 'understand' dark art. Almost anybody who likes art can appreciate dark art, but rare are the ones who truely understand it. To understand it, you may or may not need an 'awakening', but if you dont have it in you, the awakening is useless...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english... my second language...
ImaginaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #133
spookypurple

Thanks edible_eye! That's made my week! :smile:
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #134
edible_eye

you're most welcome, pretty woman.

most welcome indeed.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #135
Spider

I consider myself a Goth, althoug I am critisied for it. People say I "don't do it right". There in lies my point. What is right? The theory of what makes goth is so open to discussion. There are so many different ways to be goth, some are black with siler jewellery and red hair, some look perfectly normal and share in the thoughts and feelings that we all experience. I am a bit of both. I wear the black, etc, most of the time, but when i dont, I dont change at all, I am still the person inside with or wihout the makeup. So what causes it in the first place? naturally born with it, or forced into it by ones on self evolution through life?

When I was young I was happy and carefree... blah, blah, blah... and yet now I am a social outcast alone, with a few friends, none of which truly understand me or why i dress the way I do, and do the things I do. The interesting thing is that I always felt that way that I do now. I was surrounded by friends as a kid, popular as anything, but I always felt alone and misunderstood. I understood these feelings that i was experiencing at the age of 7. I didn't not fully form my persona until much later, but I always knew I would be different. I was above average intelligence and for it I was alone, not that tha really bothered me, it was more an observation, both now and at the time. In my case I would say that i was moulded into what i am today, a goth, by both. I was different and so i was forced into isolation, forced to make myself: I evolved into my Gothic self as a result of the world around me. But then i was always that way. I always appreciated that which repulsed others. the heavy music, the deeper thoughts, the things that people could easily get by in life without even considering. While I became what I am by being different, it was me in the first place that was so. If i hadn't been different, I would have been the same as everyone else and gone along the path of smiles and pink... but I was born different. I was born to be different. I was born with a different way of thinking, living. so in that way, i was born into my gothic nature...

I think it can be either, and both. And i agree, most people have the common denomiator of being fucked in someway. but think maybe our nature, causes it in the first place... eg. maybe gothic nature causes depression. We think too deeply to not be affected by some things. It is an old idea which I am investigating at the moment. anyway... I dont know if my comment was worthy of note, coz... I was in class when i wote it and i am now being sent off. so ill post back later to make sure it wasn't a heap of crap.

cheers, Spider

Last edited by Spider; 10-09-2005 at 06:32 PM. Reason: didnt word it right...
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #136
angleangel_doom

Mine was just a turn of being another face int eh crowd to wanting to be more creative and express myself rather than keep it all in like everyone else around me. I wanted more beauty and romance out of things and so I made it myself, if anyone gets that. I'm romantic, victorian, all that jazz, and i like it like way.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #137
(-$|N-)

Well I voted for evolution. The reason being is that none of us are born with freedom to think for ourselves there for we could not be born with the ability to be dark, evil, compassionate, friendly, shy, or anything else. Our personalities are developed from personal experiances and future likes and dislikes due to reenforcement. To back my argument watch a little kid before they start schooling, they are relativily controled by their parents beliefs and experiances there by being what their parents are. Once they finally start schooling they develope a sense of self that allows them to understand complex ideals which allow them to develop into a person who generally does what they think is the correct action, basicly there own trial and error until they develope a personality that suits them and grow to become the person they will be in life. So due to this you could not be born a goth, but evolve into one. (I am rather tired at time of writting so it may all not be in logical order or spelt correctly, but you will have to deal with it for now. If this was stated before then I agree with that person due to the fact I did not read the entire thread before posting.)
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #138
AlKilyu

I dig you $|N, you're pretty cool.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #139
Akuma2636

hmmm, Something someone said to me today, "Everyone has the potential to be a leader, but something triggers the leadership in us". And I thought whilst reading this topic, that this can be applied to the "Goth" type subculture, as for many things. So I think that Everyone has the potential to slip away from society, Everyone has potential to become "Goth" ((I have placed the inverted comma's there because I hate labels, and I hate labeling)).
hmmm, so, I think that something in life must trigger the love for the dark, the interest in the arts, the hatred for society, and the enjoying of many kinds of music. For example, I think my interest in death came along when my kitten died, when I was 6, I was so intrigued that something could die so easily. And I think that is what triggered the darkness and interest in death for me.

So in short. I think everyone has the potential to become "Goth", something just has to trigger that in a person.
Akuma2636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #140
Disfunction

Quote:
In the laboratory of Golgotha, an ironic choice of terms nothing more, an evil wizard/scientist/racial minority plotted to create a subculture to create the ultimate caucasian minority; sexually adept like an African American, intelligent and well-reasoned like an Asian, beautiful in many respects like thos really interesting images that you see where you have to get your eyes are blurry-like and then it eventually turns into a picture, like a bunch of teddy bears on a picnic... oh man, I loved that picture.

After many experiments, the punks were created, but the movement caught on and splintered into the Gothic movement; the true baby of Vlad Von Spic. After many decades, the Gothic subcultural movement began to feel the burden of a multitude of desperate teens trying to grapple with individuality. The minority was complete, though despite a substantial white majority, members of all races have been known to be a part. Every full moon, all goths join together as a great spirit and take part in a spiritual orgy, as well as the **** of 666 virgins, and the murder of 69 infidels... because that's what goths do.
What an interesting encyclopedia.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #141
Tall One In Black

I was 22 and had just started working in a gift shop at a mall. One day, a customer asked me, "Are you a goth?" I had no idea what she meant.* I had only heard the term in reference to gothic cathedrals.

I decided that if people were going to think of me as "goth," I better find out what it was. I did an internet search and for the first time ever, felt a connection to something.

Make of that what you will.

*Hard to believe, perhaps, but true. I grew up in a very sheltered working class southern Christian home, then went to Catholic school.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #142
BrokenBluRose

i think i was born a goth, because ever since i was little i was a bit dark and depressed, too mature for my age. even though i dressed in light colors, inside i was tearing up. then i found out you can dress like a goth, so i did. yeah..thats my story
BrokenBluRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #143
CommDante

Personally I think that is the case with most goths, they have an higher understanding of things and thus appreciate the darker side of things too. I have read some "revelations" here about people being more mature then the rest of their age group. But isn't it really being more aware about the things besides of what the majority observes? And try to understand it as a whole, rather than take it "as-is"?
The whole "looking from outside the box". (Me and my friends used that term way before I even knew what goth was all about.)

I remember I could discuss "mature topics" at an age where "grown-ups" didn't even take you serious ... but I could see in their eyes they knew I was right. And in following discussions i'd noticed they started to take me more seriously.

My own individual and rebelious behavior had me even send to a doctor ones, which made me very insecure at on early age and left me feeling like some outcast.
Teachers had a very hard time with me the first half year of a school year, untill they got to know me better ... then they loved me, go figure -_-

To summarise: I think a lot of the requirements to determine "gothiness" can be developed at an early age. I also think the Born thing is more in a sence of being born artistic then born with an affiliations to the dark. I think, like most people here seem to agree on, that the whole dark thing would need a trigger to make it an interrest/appreciation.

PS: I tried to avoid the word darkside, so that's why some sentences seem somewhat awkward. And I probably made some typos.

I hope it clarifies my point of view, ask when in doubt.
My 2 cents
CommDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #144
A Simple Poet

I think that a person is innately Goth. I also believe a person, depending on their circumstances, can go through much of their life different from the rest of the "in crowd" and not understand it is because they are a natural Goth. So, in that vein, I think one can learn that they are Goth, which is not the same as morphing into one, but rather uncovering their true selves.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #145
Empty_Purple_Stars

Gosh I miss Gypsy..

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #146
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I think that a person is innately Goth. I also believe a person, depending on their circumstances, can go through much of their life different from the rest of the "in crowd" and not understand it is because they are a natural Goth. So, in that vein, I think one can learn that they are Goth, which is not the same as morphing into one, but rather uncovering their true selves.
Damn right!
You know? We goths are such elitist bitches. Maybe that's why I love us

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #147
A Simple Poet

You know, I've been called that recently by someone on another messageboard with regard to my views of literature and poetry. Thanks, Jillian, your comment just makes me feel even more welcome here...

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #148
Icarian Decoding

I had this thought, and it kinda made me laugh.
You see, people have been arguing, over and over and over, what exactly "Goth" is. Goth with a Sledgehammer pretty much defined what one person thought Goth was, but how do we know that is actually the be-all, end-all to what Goth really is?
What if, there is a forum out there, who is a more goth, then this place? We wouldn't know about it, just like supposed "Wannabe-Goths", usually don't know about this place. So, that would lead one to conclude, that to say this place is Goth, compared to someone else, is arbitrary.
Therefore, stating that 'You' are Goth, and that someone else isn't, based on their likes and dislikes, would be completely arbitrary on your part, because you assign your own position to what exactly 'Goth', is or isn't. Which would mean that you may, or may not be 'Goth'.
So, with this knowledge that it is incredibly difficult to define what 'Goth', really would be, how can you set-up a debate, basing itself on whether 'Goths' are born or not?
Now, assuming you go by the 'Goth with a Sledgehammer', definition, you would be required to go through your enviroment. While some of the natural phenomina included with birth would be required, most of it would come from unnatural features. You would be required, to be rasied so you are not accepted in the 'In Crowd', as ASP put it. You would also be required to be raised with a knowledge that what you like is by societies norm, 'Wrong', or as many people put it, 'Dark'. Since 'Dark' and 'Light', along with 'Good or Bad', has been argued since the beginning of time to be arbitrary concepts, how can you base a culture, or atleast a subculture, on the personification, beautification, and supposed acceptance of such 'evils'?
I am most inclined to suspect that most 'Goths', that have some form of philospohical education, as most of the stereotype do, to realize what I am saying, and for them to realize it is as an opinion. Whether they agree with my opinion or not, I cannot tell, but the matter of state is, the entire culture would be required to be built upon things that must be designated by one's own experiences. To be born, as simply 'Goth', would be almost absurd, except for those rare few anomalies, who are adept and aware of the social status of their enviroment from an early age.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #149
CreepyTendencies

Born a Goth or Made a Goth?.....

I really think that either path can work for different people. For me, I know I've always had a morbid mentality. I've always looked to the darker side of things and been fatalistic about society. At the risk of sounding pompous......Ever since I was a young kid, I've scored highly on most exams in school and my parents and teachers always wondered why I used that "intellect" and "artistic talent" to explore darker realms. They even put me into therapy for it when I was in fourth grade.......I think because they simply didn't understand where I was coming from. So I think this has always been a part of who I am. I was never able to fully immerse myself in the whole subculture until I was older though. When I was younger I always tried to buy black clothing and dreary music, but my parents caught on and kept a close watch on my purchases until I was old enough to make my own money and spend it how I wanted. In other words, the outward expression came much later than the introspection and frame of mind.

However, that isn't to say that some people can't "evolve" into the subculture. I think society can certainly have a profound effect on the way people view the world and their place in it. In fact, I might go so far as to say you're naive if you think otherwise. Living day to day experiences can substantially alter one's view of things, and perhaps some people need those experiences to "turn" them "goth." But this begs the question.....were they "goth" to begin with and merely needed to shed some of their sheltered skin?

The fact that goth seems to be "trendy" in this day and age isn't helping this whole question either.

But, as has been previously stated, it also depends on your definition of "goth."
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #150
Corpus_Draconis

I think that, as with a lot of psycological things, people are born predisposed to being goth, and events in their lives push them that way.

I generally was an outcast (self-induced, later on, but). I always dressed different (partly not by my choice), and some "friends" even tried to brainwash me into being "cool;" being whatever that term implied in grade 4... Anyway, I think what really started my "Fuck looking like everyone else" thing was when, in grade 6, I had worn this shirt that a "cool" girl also had, and was promptly told "Don't buy the same clothes as me, because then they go out of style" (now I look back and think 'hey, I decided the fashion in grade 6...'). After that, though, I just got less and less normal, and had a great time of it. And now, though I am an Artist foremost, I do consider myself to be a Goth, and am damn proud of it.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote