Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
Grimspective

Need help on demon research.

Simple, and straight forward. I'm compiling a research journal of demon research. I need sources however, and wish to know if anyone knows any books to suggest or sites that may help my research. Not to sound like an ass but I already have come across the Goetia ( lesser keys of solomon, lemetegen,) So if that is in fact the only tome in which information can be found than well, damn i guess. But if any one has other suggestions please I would love to hear them, and to discuss if anyone has similiar tastes. As long as we're on the topic of research, and discussion, I'm also working on the paranormal right now as well. So, yeah.
Grimspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
ScorchedEarthErotica

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/serp...AllDemons.html

Every demon known
ScorchedEarthErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Tam Li Hua

Scorched: I was looking at that site, but they lost me when they said that there were paintings of UFO's in Renaissance art. :/

It seems like the folks who put that site together may be a bit on the extremists/looney side. O.o
Old 10-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Tralis

I love how all paranormal sites use some explanation about psychic strength waxing and waning for why their stuff doesn't work.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Scorched: I was looking at that site, but they lost me when they said that there were paintings of UFO's in Renaissance art. :/
There are UFOs in renaissance art, you fucking git.

http://lithiumdreamer.tripod.com/ufoart.html

"I WAS REALLY FEELING THIS BULLSHIT ABOUT DEMONS UNTIL THEY MENTIONED SOMETHING TRUE."
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
There are UFOs in renaissance art..

http://lithiumdreamer.tripod.com/ufoart.html
Well, that's just bizarre.

I mean, after all the advancements human beings have made in that short of a time, you'd think the aliens would have come up with a new design for their spaceships somewhere along the way.

Unless...it's timetravelers from the future. Yeah, that would make a little more sense.

Still, very bizarrre. I'll have to see what Mulder and Scully think about this.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Grimspective

alright a few things to cover. First thanks to the posters who had some information to give. Second on the UFO thing. Why is it complicated? The universe is impossibly large, there are literally billions of trillions of planets that could and should sustain life. And if they are advanced enough to build shit that travels here from there so easily as to not exhaust several lifetimes I would assume that they have also mastered the ability to build shit that doesn't need to be improved upon. The drive to improve is humanistic completely, and I don't know if other life forms would think like us. Its possible maybe even probable but a certainty I'm not so sure. However I won't deny that you do raise a great point Tam Li Hua I'm just giving another angle to look at. Personally UFO's aren't really my concern. If they exist sweet, if not then okay. I really don't think it will phase me until their trying to shove something up my ass.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
Fae-wolf

There's this book called Demon Possesion and the Christian. Very controvesial book but it could give some basic facts on Fallen Angels
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
Man In Room 5

I was once tempted by a similar idea when I was doing occult research for another writing project but I gave up when I realized 3 things;

1: The list would be endless. It would take years to sort out the mistranslated and corrupted names alone. It would also be impossible to distinguish between authentic demon names, names of older deities, mythic characters, and those demons which people may have actually believed in at one point and time as opposed to those merely fictional demons such as Zuul and Gozer.

2: It's already been attempted several times by better researchers than myself and most of them failed at the above point.

3: There's no future in it. Writing such a book will not earn you money or get you laid....and everyone knows those are the only 2 reasons anyone writes anything.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the Goetia if I were you. Several manuscript copies exist, all differing from each other, and the published version is based on only one of them. Rather than regarding the Goetia as any one single authoritative text you'd be better off to think of it as a collection of texts--or better yet, as merely a theme around which several texts were written.

I'd also get a full list of all the names of the astrological decans and their images. 90% of the "demon" names in those old books are actually corruptions of the decan names and images. Entire books have been written on decan art alone and that only accounts for a portion of "demon" names.

That should get you started....or kill the idea entirely.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
The Catholic church keeps a great deal of information on demons in order for the priests specially trained in exorcisms to better deal with them. I don't know how accessible the information is and whatnot but it is there.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Well, that's just bizarre.

I mean, after all the advancements human beings have made in that short of a time, you'd think the aliens would have come up with a new design for their spaceships somewhere along the way.

Unless...it's timetravelers from the future. Yeah, that would make a little more sense.

Still, very bizarrre. I'll have to see what Mulder and Scully think about this.
Are you kidding? The UFOs in those drawings are highly variant. Same with UFOs in general. Descriptions range from the traditional saucers, to cigars, to globes, to giant flying men.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #12
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimspective
Simple, and straight forward. I'm compiling a research journal of demon research. I need sources however, and wish to know if anyone knows any books to suggest or sites that may help my research. Not to sound like an ass but I already have come across the Goetia ( lesser keys of solomon, lemetegen,) So if that is in fact the only tome in which information can be found than well, damn i guess. But if any one has other suggestions please I would love to hear them, and to discuss if anyone has similiar tastes. As long as we're on the topic of research, and discussion, I'm also working on the paranormal right now as well. So, yeah.
What languages do you know?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
Grimspective

To the last poster. I only speak American, as well as English. I am versed in both old English and English proper. However I understand others outside of that when I really set myself to it. I'm learning both Latin as well As Gaelic within the next few years. Why do you ask? May I ask?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Grimspective

Another reason for doing this is to compile a complete archive of deities. I will start with the Celtic mythologies, considering those are what I know and enjoy best, and expand through the cultures. Other than that, the pursuit of knowledge, and possible clues to a question I don't know of. If anyone were wondering why I was doing this other than the blatant fact that I have no social life. By choice I suppose, but even I recognize that it's kind of sad.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Grimspective

man in room 5 had very good points concerning the arduous task I've appointed myself. As much as I would agree that sex and money are great motivators I'm not doing this for either. I expect this to be a long term project, so it taking several years is already of suspect. I don't trust the Goetia which is why I'm asking for several other sources, which I thank everyone who has suggestions so far. I also know of the fake demons, and djinn, as well as deities, and all the twisting turning fractal branches of this subject. which is one reason I am doing this so far, in order to sort through this maelstrom of conflicting information. Thank you though.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
Man In Room 5

OK, for starters, do you know anything about astrology? Do you know what the decans are?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #17
Grimspective

Astrology is one of the fields I know less about. Decans no, but like I said the point of this is to learn so I would assume by the time I finish, if ever, I will have accrued knowledge of it. Would you care to recommend some books or site sources that would be trustworthy enough to start research on it?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #18
Man In Room 5

OK...the decans work like this.....

Any astrology book can tell you that there are 12 zodiac signs that represent the 12 "houses" or the 12 sections of the ecliptic, and each sign has an image associated to it. You can get that from any newspaper and everyone knows the signs. However, the houses are further divided into 3 sections each--called decans--and each decan has a positive and negative aspect. So, you have a total of 72 different influences that supposedly influence your life, the world...blah, blah, blah (I'm only explaining the theory, I never said I believe it).

The 72 decans all have their own names and personifications. Some people considered the decans to be metaphoric images and some people believed in them literally, as if there were 72 actual spirits that you could communicate with. A huge percent of the "demon" names you find are actually decan names or corruptions of them made by people who believed in them literally. For a good overview of the whole thing find Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Henry Cornelius Agrippa (edited by Don Tyson). Agrippa lays the whole system out and Tyson's notes are the best I've seen on it.

Once you understand the decans and their images you see that most magic books with "demon" names are based on this system or are poor imitations of it. Most Christian and Jewish angels and demons are also based on this layout. Try reading the Bible or any cabalistic texts with the math in mind and you'll see what I mean. The numbers 3, 12, 36 and 72 crop up everywhere because each of the 12 houses is divided into 3 decans for a total of 36 and each decan has a good and bad aspect for a total of 72.

Douglas Adams was wrong. The answer to life, the universe and everything isn't 42 but 72.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #19
Grimspective

Thank you very much i will certainly look into this more closely. The Douglas Adams books were great. Also I wanted to ask you one other thing, in terms of astrology what do you of Orphicus?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #20
Man In Room 5

I never heard of Orphicus, so I Googled it. I guess it's some 13th sign? I don't know. Honestly, I'm not much into astrology. I only studied the basics of medieval astrology because I was trying to understand older methods of memory training and I was interested in astrological images in art, such as depictions of the decans. If you want a really good understanding of how astrological symbols and images were used as a memory aid I suggest The Art Of Memory by F. Yates. Actually, I'd suggest all her books if you're going to do any serious occult research.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
Grimspective

Thank you, I'm sure that will prove to be excellent source material. And again thank you for what you've already explained to me about the decans.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
~~Auriel~~

Hello- I'm in Michigan too! Quite off topic however...
I thought this was a good site:
http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/demonlistA-E.asp
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote