Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Rorschach Twin

Supreme Court backs Guantanamo detainees. Bush Unhappy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25117953/

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay have rights under the Constitution to challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS...aly/index.html

Bush said he disagreed with the ruling that Guantanamo Bay detainees have the right to challenge their detention in federal courts, but he would abide by it.

"Congress and the administration worked very carefully on a piece of legislation that set the appropriate procedures in place as to how to deal with the detainees," he said.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
KontanKarite

Getmo is really really ugly. Just about every service member that I talked to that was there didn't want to talk about the stuff that was going on there.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Technowitch

Awesome. This ruling couldn't make me happier--everyone accused of a crime, no matter how heinous, deserves a chance to defend themselves in a court of law. The fact that the Supreme Court gave the same ruling twice previously only to have Congress shut them down makes me think that it's an exercise in futility, though.
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Rorschach Twin

Yeah, and I think it's one step closer for us to be rid of the USA PATRIOT Act.

I don't understand people's concern. If they are really terrorists, and really dangerous, then wouldn't they be found guilty in court? And second off, wouldn't being detained make you angry enough to hate a country, possibly enough to attack it's citizens?... Oh Shit, I suppose the right never thought of that one.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
CptSternn

This is a big win. Since they based the ruling on the Constitution, neither the white house nor congress can appeal or change the ruling nor can they 'reinterpret' it.

That being said republicans in congress have already started their next campaign to take away more rights.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/6...3723/62/534898

Sen . Graham wants to remove Haebus Corpus (the right to know what you are being charged with and the evidence against you) from the Constitution, remove Constitutional protections that give prisoners a right to a speedy trial, and the Constitutional right to face and question your accuser.

Not just for 'enemy combatants', but since they now have the same protections as all others in America the republicans in congress want to strip those rights from ALL Americans because they are 'out dated'.

Roschach -

Thats the point myself and others have been making for years. There is a great new documentary that goes into this called Taxi To The Darkside. If you stick a man in solitary confinement for 5+ years with no human contact except to take them out a few times a week to torture them, it doesn't matter if they were against you before - they sure will definitely not like you one they are out.

Anyone else seen the Korean film Old Boy?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
weiwei

Thumbs down Stockholm, 1912

Stockholm, 1912, wow gold Games of the V wow power leveling

Olympiad. wow power leveling Oscar SWAHN of Sweden aim his gun wow powerlevelingduring a running deer shooting World of Warcraft gold competition.weiwei1978123
weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote