Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Empty_Purple_Stars

Python Tries to Eat Alligator, Explodes

Python Tries to Eat Alligator, Explodes

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

MIAMI, Fla. — Alligators have clashed with nonnative pythons before in Everglades National Park. But when a 6-foot gator tangled with a 13-foot python recently, the result wasn't pretty.

The snake apparently tried to swallow the gator whole — and then exploded. Scientists stumbled upon the gory remains last week.

The species have battled with increasing frequency — scientists have documented four encounters in the last three years. The encroachment of Burmese pythons into the Everglades could threaten an $8 billion restoration project and endanger smaller species, said Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor.

The gators have had to share their territory with a python population that has swelled over the past 20 years after owners dropped off pythons they no longer wanted in the Everglades. The Asian snakes have thrived in the wet, hot climate.

"Encounters like that are almost never seen in the wild. ... And we here are, it's happened for the fourth time," Mazzotti said. In the other cases, the alligator won or the battle was an apparent draw.

"They were probably evenly matched in size," Mazzotti said of the latest battle. "If the python got a good grip on the alligator before the alligator got a good grip on him, he could win."

While the gator may have been injured before the battle began — wounds were found on it that apparently were not caused by python bites — Mazzotti believes it was alive when the battle began. And it may have clawed at the python's stomach as the snake tried to digest it, leading to the blow up.

The python was found with the gator's hindquarters protruding from its midsection. Its stomach still surrounded the alligator's head, shoulders, and forelimbs. The remains were discovered and photographed Sept. 26 by helicopter pilot and wildlife researcher Michael Barron.

The incident has alerted biologists to new potential dangers from Burmese pythons in the Everglades.

"Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species," Mazzotti said. "There had been some hope that alligators can control Burmese pythons. ... This indicates to me it's going to be an even draw. Sometimes alligators are going to win and sometimes the python will win.

"It means nothing in the Everglades is safe from pythons, a top down predator," Mazzotti said.

Not only can the python kill other reptiles, the snakes will also eat otters, squirrels, endangered woodstorks and sparrows.

While there are thousands of alligators in the Everglades, Joe Wasilewski, a wildlife biologist and crocodile tracker, said its unknown how many pythons there are.

"We need to set traps and do a proper survey," of the snakes, he said. At least 150 have been captured in the last two years.

The problem arises when people buy pets they are not prepared to care for.

"People will buy these tiny little snakes and if you do everything right, they're six-feet tall in one year. They lose their appeal, or the owner becomes afraid of it. There's no zoo or attraction that will take it," so they release the snakes into the Everglades.

A reproducing snake can have as many as 100 hatchlings, which explains why the snake population has soared, Wasilewski said.

The Burmese snake problem is just part of a larger issue of nonnative animal populations in South Florida, he said. So many iguanas have been discarded in the region that they are gobbling tropical flowers and causing problems for botanists, Wasilewski said.

A 10- or 20-foot python is also large enough to pose a risk to an unwary human, especially a small child, he added.

"I don't think this is an imminent threat. This is not a 'Be afraid, be very afraid situation.'"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171358,00.html
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
demoncross

Talk about indigestion, that is why it is important to chew your food and never bite off more than you can handle

That is so bad, this could turn into a big eco-problem in the everglades.
demoncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
edible_eye

that's fuckin' AWESOME!, especially the pic.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
chancre_sore

I'm at a loss for words...that's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
chancre_sore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Empty_Purple_Stars

Isn't it though?

I researched the story further, because I love Big snakes AND Gators..

Owned my share of big snakes, and went nose to snout with my fair share of mean ass alligators in Louisiana growing up..

So upon deeper delving, I discovered that there have been at least FOUR other documented cases of Python Vs Gator.

One fight in particular, lasted 24 HOURS before the python lost that one..

24 HOURS!!!

Now THATS a friggin brawl..

One on One..

Pretty friggin hardcore..

But Demoncross is right in saying that these Giant Snakes, at the top of the predator ladder, could pose a huge ecological nightmare in the coming years. The average Python lays at least 100 Eggs, each time they reproduce.

That means 100 Hatchlings, per female.

Who in turn can grow to be 8-10 feet in length, in a matter of 8 years or so.

Which is STILL not fully grown..

At that size those snakes can eat a small adult, and most assuredly could munch down on a small child, or four.. :P

Swimming in the Everglades National Park= BAD !!!!

Last edited by Empty_Purple_Stars; 10-10-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
InvisiGoth

Poor Python!!!
InvisiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
angleangel_doom

Talking

I know! We were talkign about it in my creative writing class and I went up to draw the situation on the board. Man, I wish someone had taken a picture of it...because it was God-damned halarious!
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Jane13

Wow! Just... freakin' WOW!!
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
gothica1189

Talking

That, right there, is truely entertaining! Nature never ceases to amaze me and make me go "oooooooooooooo!"
gothica1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #10
gingerbreadwench

Hah! Stupid snake.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:47 AM   #11
Demonista_Ravenesque

O_O I vaguely remember reading this in some newspaper...but now that I've seen the photos....I don't think i'll be able to eat tonight.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote