Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #126
LittleStrangeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
I had my last ancient history lesson when I was 12, I know Lucy wasn't a homo sapien. >_>
It's called... -insert epic music here-
AMERICAN SCHOOL SYSTEMS DUMBIFIED!
You know what I'm talking about, the last time I learned anything valid was... in math. You know, y=mx+b, and they're probably lying to me about that too!
For cheese sakes! How am I to know things! THE GOVERNMENT IS FAILING ME! (and I'm an honors kid too... this is bad.)

(I'm not making excuses by the way; I still believe what I believe, but between trying to pass tests and trying to find the truth... everything has blurred together.)
LittleStrangeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #127
MegearaErotica

Quote:
It's called Scotland, dear. Scotland.
Well in our geography books, it says the UK is one giant country and Scotland no longer exists, so sorry if I got it wrong. I'm an American and even I see major flaws in our system.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #128
LittleStrangeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
Well in our geography books, it says the UK is one giant country and Scotland no longer exists, so sorry if I got it wrong. I'm an American and even I see major flaws in our system.
Maybe we should quit school, we used to be rather intelligent, but now I'm having trouble spelling simple words, and our facts aren't really factual! Oh my!

But, if I don't get this faulty education, I'm going to fail in life and be poor forever.
Then again, I could just be another starving artist, or something romanticized like that.
LittleStrangeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #129
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Well in our geography books, it says the UK is one giant country and Scotland no longer exists,
Oh my fucking God.

The U.K. is a country, which contains Scotland, another country. Scotland still bloody exists you moron. If Scotland didn't exist, on your premis, neither would England, N. Ireland or Wales.

http://www.maps-of-britain.co.uk/ima...of-britain.gif

Look at a map. It may help.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #130
Mealla

Quote:
Well in our geography books, it says the UK is one giant country and Scotland no longer exists
ROFL! I dare you to go into a pub in Scotland and tell someone that. Also, while the American school system is rather lacking, the quality of individual schools differs. Even in my Catholic school in Louisiana we learned about evolution in science class. Religious doctrine was discussed in a separate religion class. When I switched to public school in Georgia, we also covered evolution, in spite of being in the middle of the bible belt. The only teacher that was vehemently against evolution being taught was a history teacher I had one year.

For more fossil evidence, see Archaeopteryx, one of the links between dinosaurs and birds.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #131
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:

Wow...........
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #132
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
There's no way that's true.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #133
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Well in our geography books, it says the UK is one giant country and Scotland no longer exists, so sorry if I got it wrong.
Or maybe you just don't know how to read a map.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #134
viscus

Quote:
But nothing is Prehistory, time didn't somehow begin when we said it does)
Sure it is. History didn't start in earnest until humans started writing things down.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #135
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Sure it is. History didn't start in earnest until humans started writing things down.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/history

Quote:
It's called... -insert epic music here-
AMERICAN SCHOOL SYSTEMS DUMBIFIED!
You know what I'm talking about, the last time I learned anything valid was... in math. You know, y=mx+b, and they're probably lying to me about that too!
For cheese sakes! How am I to know things! THE GOVERNMENT IS FAILING ME! (and I'm an honors kid too... this is bad.)

(I'm not making excuses by the way; I still believe what I believe, but between trying to pass tests and trying to find the truth... everything has blurred together.)
There are many American people on here who are not retarded, try again.

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #136
Saya

Quote:
*cough*
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prehistory

Actually, by that definition Lucy is pre prehistory, since she was around long before the first humans. History is the events of human kind, but we don't know what happened before people started writing things down. We don't know about wars or political figures, all our knowledge comes from physical evidence early man left behind.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #137
LiUsAiDh

Sigh, I was questioning the naming of prehistory, not the concept.

Pre, latin - before.
History, *see my dictionary reference*

Hence, prehistory = Time before history -> not possible.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #138
Saya

Well, nothing we can do about the naming, but prehistory is before history, correct, history (By your defintion, our knowledge of past events) ends when we stop having any record (or keeping to your definition, the knowledge) of past events, after that its scientific deduction, hence why I said she shouldn't be learning about Lucy in history since its a subject of science.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #139
MegearaErotica

Well, I'm just trying to be politically correct and failing miserably it seems. *sigh*
Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #140
Verdandi

Quote:
Well, I'm just trying to be politically correct and failing miserably it seems. *sigh*
Political correctness is terribly overrated.
You should not care what others think of you, so long as you are being honest with yourself.
Verdandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #141
Verdandi

Quote:
There are many American people on here who are not retarded, try again.
Florida school systems are quite poor.
That seems to be what she meant at least. They have one of the worst in the country from what I have heard.
Also, there is a difference between being misinformed and being retarded. Mental retardation is harder to fix that misinformation and poor education.
All it really takes is someone explaining things as they are and in clear terms to fix her problem, and perhaps a few good books.
Verdandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #142
MegearaErotica

I guess that's true, it's just kinda in my nature to look for assurance. I've got to work on that it seems.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #143
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
There's no sense trying to be politically correct when it comes to proving Evolution with the fossil record. There's not one shred of evidence against Evolution.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #144
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Don't confuse being PC with having manners. Manners is just being polite. Being PC extends manners to the absurd. From reading your posts, I would say you are more polite than PC.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #145
MegearaErotica

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
There's no sense trying to be politically correct when it comes to proving Evolution with the fossil record. There's not one shred of evidence against Evolution.
Ummm... I wasn't talking about evolution....
And also, HumanePain, I guess I am more polite than politically correct because my mom sheltered me like a nun about politics and such until just recently when I got the internet and cable tv.... she said they were materialistic and led to the devil's path... lol, now I'm goth and don't really follow a specific religion.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #146
Necrophagist

They haven't even found the full skeleton of the Archaeopteryx. Stop using that as an example.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #147
Saya

The hell you talking about Necro?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...st%C3%A4tt.jpg
Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #148
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
They haven't even found the full skeleton of the Archaeopteryx. Stop using that as an example.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...15/ai_14891613
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #149
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdandi
Florida school systems are quite poor.
That seems to be what she meant at least. They have one of the worst in the country from what I have heard.
Also, there is a difference between being misinformed and being retarded. Mental retardation is harder to fix that misinformation and poor education.
All it really takes is someone explaining things as they are and in clear terms to fix her problem, and perhaps a few good books.
I appreciate your schools may not be great. But the knowledge which is missing is basic knowledge, which everyone should find out about from parents, T.V., books etc. Knowing Scotland exists isn't an international secret.

I know very well the difference between being misinformed and retarded. Saying Scotland doesn't exist is retarded. Especially when you express a desire to live there, which would imply that you've researched it a little (haha). It's a question of degree, I can live with her being ignorant of the joys of less mind numbingly obvious things; but there's a limit.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #150
MegearaErotica

Yes I have researched it and found sites about Scotland, but they were on the net, and thought that they were just incorrect. Also, I'd basically never seen a tv until about a month ago, and my parents don't give a flying fuck about me most of the time, so I'm sorry if you think I'm uninformed.