Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Stitchy.

Smile scifi needs.

Well recently I have run out of much to do in the free time I have at home and writing and drawing have been getting old...kind of odd saying that but anyways I was wondering if anyone has any good gothic style scifi computer games or literature its been something I've loved sense I was a child and still do but am having horrible horrible horrible trouble in finding it witout getting some horendously cheesy badly put together peice of shit book so if anyone has any knowledge on the subject and would like to help thanks!
Stitchy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

I think it's funny that you want a "gothic style sci-fi" computer game or book and yet you bemoan the fact that it's all horrendously cheesy, badly put together, and a piece of shit.
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Pineapple_Juice

*pieces of shit, not a piece of shit. Fucking seven minute limit.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I think it's funny that you want a "gothic style sci-fi" computer game or book and yet you bemoan the fact that it's all horrendously cheesy, badly put together, and a piece of shit.
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?
That's not quite what he said.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Stitchy.

Yeah I didn't mean its all put together poorly I mean its hard to find a good one that isn't just some crap writer trying to poor as much blood as he can into a book I never said that they all were bad just that the genre in general is fille dwith bad ones and wanted some help finding some good ones I havn't read or played before.
Stitchy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchy. View Post
Well recently I have run out of much to do in the free time I have at home and writing and drawing have been getting old...kind of odd saying that but anyways I was wondering if anyone has any good gothic style scifi computer games or literature its been something I've loved sense I was a child and still do but am having horrible horrible horrible trouble in finding it witout getting some horendously cheesy badly put together peice of shit book so if anyone has any knowledge on the subject and would like to help thanks!
You should be more specific about a request like this.

First, what is your preferred medium? I could personally recommend everything from television shows to podcasts to books. Start small and ask about a specific kind of entertainment.

Second, if you're looking for entertainment with the general trappings of Goth, you can find plenty of it there that happens to be low on cheese. However, if you're looking for entertainment that utilizes literate Gothic themes such as Romanticism, you may get a completely different set of recommendations.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

I'd recommend hunting down the PC game "Grim Fandango" if you can find it on ebay.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Saya

Its not sci fi, but the game The Path is really good, and on Steam for ten dollars last time I checked. Its enitrely plot based, the gameplay is very easy, basically the goal is to find as many items in the forest as you can so your ending has more detail to it. But the story leaves itself to interpretation, so it can be confusing. Probably not good if you don't like games where you don't kill anything.

And if we're talking about point and click adventure, Grim Fandago is indeed very awesome, and Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Father is also amazing, not goth or sci fi but its about voodoo! And Gabriel is voiced by Tim Curry.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Grim Fandango's excellent. Lost it for like eight years and was going to go buy another copy when it mysteriously turned up again.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
ART

Arcanum is a game that could work too. Sort of steampunk versus magic.

Really old though, I guess. And not epic.
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Ben Lahnger

Ooh, and you can pick up Fallout Trilogy - 3 Pack Compilation for $11.99 from Amazon. It includes the following PC games for Windows XP or Vista:
  • Fallout - It's the year 2161, 84 years after a two-hour-long war that destroyed most of civilization. Mankind soldiers on, living out a hardscrabble life on the surface or holing up in great Vaults built inside caves. You're a member of Vault 13 somewhere in Southern California, and the Vault Overseer's got a job for you - find a replacement water purification chip within 150 days, or your home is doomed.

• Fallout 2 - It's been 80 long years since your ancestor, the Vault Dweller trod across the wastelands. As you now search for the Garden of Eden Creation Kit to save your primitive village, tough choices and even tougher consequences await you.

• Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel - A departure from the character-heavy RPG style of traditional Fallout games, Interplay's Fallout Tactics - Brotherhood of Steel is instead a squad-based tactical RPG, utilizing both turn-based and real-time mechanics. As part of a split faction of the Brotherhood of Steel, the player controls a team that attempts to grow and expand across Fallout's barren wastelands by recruiting outsiders to embark on combat-heavy missions.
You'd be buying it for the first two games, as fans of the series consider "Fallout Tactics" to be inferior to the others, but it's a great price for two great games!

And I'll second Saya's vote for Gabriel Knight ... if you can find it.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote