Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
c130

Growing yer hair.

I've had short hair since I was about 4 or 5 years old... I want to grow it to shoulder-length or a little longer now but I don't know what to do with it during the awkward months of too-long-to-spike, too-short-to-tie-back stages. Wear a hat?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
crucifix

My hair is medium length and I just let it do its own thing. I am getting it all chopped off on Tuesday, though. I have had so many bad things happen lately that I need to start over. My hair, clothes, everything has too much bad energy in it and I need to start anew.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Valrys

I'm currently in that stage, and its annoying because my hair keeps going into my eyes when I'm doing ANYTHING grrrr.

If you do get a hat, make sure its a good one.
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
NachtSorcier

http://www.gothpunk.com/howtos/big-hair.html

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Vexik

Crucifix - if you're starting over, have you considered a career in piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.

Regarding hair, I used to have short hair but then grew it out. There was a period where it'd curl right into my eyes. I found that wearing a hat solved the problem a bit (it kept it to the sides most of the time). I also found that I could just tip my head forward a little and look through the hair. It takes a little more effort to see what I'm doing, but if (like me) you just spend most of your time in front of a monitor anyways, it's no big deal. Besides, darkening your vision would be like making the world more gothy, right mate? Right.

Picking the apropos chapeau is definitely important, as Valrys suggests.
Vexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexik
Regarding hair, I used to have short hair but then grew it out. There was a period where it'd curl right into my eyes.
I had that problem for a while. Then it stopped.
And started curling up my nose. Then that stopped.
Then it started curling into my mouth.

Now its past all my facial features and just tickles my chin and obscures my vision....^_^
Stupid curly hair....
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
DefinedRapture

Gel it in a goofy manner maybe, i think it'd be awesome.. That or like, be random and get mini rubber bands, and have at it. like, put them all over, gel, glue, .. idunno. Just naming ideas.
~
My bangs used to be so short that i couldn't even see them, and then they'd get like a curl, so id look like i didn't have any bangs at all, so a hair straightener helped out a lot for that. When i didnt have a straightener, gel made the annoying weird-stage settle down some.

good luck?
DefinedRapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
pippin505

I wore a hat, while my hair got past that stage xD

My hair does not grow, anymore that an inch or two every 4 months.

take vitamins (biotin, vitamin e, vitamin c)
and it will help stimulate it to grow a little faster for you. ^_^
pippin505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
electrosexual

You could get extensions. I've found that they're pretty cheap from hairdresser supplier stores. They're quick and easy and look 100% real. And your hair only really needs to be about 4 or 5 inches.

And if you get sick of long hair you just have to clip them out ^_^
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
Panther V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin505
I wore a hat, while my hair got past that stage xD
Also, if you wear a hat, supposedly your hair grows faster.
Panther V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Rorschach Twin

My hair goes past my shoulders. It took about a year or two to get here, but I also had to keep cutting it to get it more even. it's really not that bad, really. Once it gets long enough to part, or even to put behind your ears, it's a lot easier to deal with. Just don't immediately cut it if you get irritated with it, you will regret that. Wait at least a week after it gets annoying.

But, like was aforementioned, you could wear a hat, you could spike it, you could just do "big hair", or you could gel it.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
c130

Wore my silly flaming skull bandana today. Wasn't too bad, except I kept fidgeting with it to keep my fringe covered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther V
Also, if you wear a hat, supposedly your hair grows faster.
I'd imagine that's an illusion... keeping your hat on all the time, you would see your hair's progress more vividly whenever you look in the mirror with it off.

Still, we should test that theory... for science! Who wants hat duty?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Shadows_Jukebox

Me Oh Me!!! I Want Tophat Duty!!! Xd
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Delkaetre

You could, being female, wear clips in your hair. When you want to be a loli goth, you can do adorably lacy bows. When you want to rockabilly, cherry-shaped clips. For trad goth, feathers or bones. For old-school/deathrock, skulls and bones. Use them as a way to add an accent to an outfit, etc.
I had to get the hang of them when my hair was in its intermediate length phase a few years ago. Thankfully, it's all now past my waist!
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
Minyaliel

Hair falls are your friend. Believe me, I've got the same problem myself (except, I'm not growing my bangs, so the hair- getting- into- my- eyes problem isn't as bad for me). If you've got long enough hair to clip a fall or a pair of falls to your head, you should manage. I've made a rather natural looking fall out of black synthetic yarn that I use whenever I feel like having really long hair (it goes all the way down to my behind). It's a bit heavy, but it looks great. You get used to the weight after a while, too.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
suture-self

I had my hair short pixie shirt at one time too and have since grown it out. It was a pain but worth it! Wish I could post a pic to show you stuff I did.

Use extensions, definetly. You can make yourself long side bangs by sewing human hair weave onto wig clips(can be purchased at your local african american beauty supply store)

Also, it doesn't sound like it's too late to do liberty spikes if you have the right supplies (unless your hair is curly). You can get this stuff from any Sallys. I used "Instant freeze ultimate hold styling spray' by New Image . I sprayed it on, held my head upside down and put the blow dryer to it. Then I added ' Ice Spiker' to help shape, mold and hold the spike.
I was able to spike my hair this way until it grew halfway down my neck.
suture-self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
Bat Brains

Hair is never too long to spike! I'm sure you can't be bothered spiking it everytime you go out though haha.

I got past that stage pretty easily because I got dreads and extensions (which took 11 hours to get out when I got tired of them 0.o)

You could get extensions or just tease it all out and make it big and 80's
OR you could get a deathhawk/mohawk if you're into that sort of thing; When you don't put it up you could flip it to one side which looks pretty good.

Good luck getting through the bad stage of growing hair! It's worst when it hangs around your nose and mouth
Bat Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I had that sort of problem and I still do luckily enough I can tye it back now cause it's long enough...I personally didn'y do anything, I jus dealt with it, worse it was wavy hair not curly hair and so I had the iittle tipping p edges...those were annoying, but long hair tests yor reslve and how much you want to try it, once it's long enough, well it's an amazing thing and dan fun too!

But soon I plan to get most of mine chopped off and styled to a particular thing, I wont say what 'cause I want to keep it a surprise XD
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #19
Draconysius

Vitamins are a good idea, especially around winter when hair doesn't grow that much. Look for anything with the most vitamin E. It's also important to strip all the product and goo out of your hair once a week, using a rough shampoo like Prell.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote