Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #76
Wormboy

I am in my fourth band actually. We never really played live in any of them. My first band was sort of a punk band, that didn't really last. My second band was called Severe Mental Illness, and techincally we're still together but for all intents and purposes we broke up. I was in another band called Into the Abyss, but I left that band. Well to be acurate the band left the creator of it, we hated him with a passion. Now I am trying to start a black metal/ death metal band. I am looking for a keyboardist and another guitarist. I would love a drummer so I can go on vocals but I'd be quite content playing drums with a good vocalist. The current band and current name is Shattered Throne, and I'm on drums so far ^_^.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #77
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
If what we write were to be compaired to something I'd say it's: In a bout of insanity, Rudimentary Peni had sewn themselves to Cinema Strange and while struggling to free themselves they accidently got stuck on Andi Sexgang's earrings.
How...evocative.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #78
Bete Noire

I'm in a punk-type band, but we all have very different influences.

We're called Scarlet Laughter.

I play guitar, write lyrics, sing, and do violins occasionally.

www.myspace.com/scarletlaughter
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #79
bleedingheart344

I play guitar, cello, bass, and some synth. My one man band is called Sadist Sagittarius. I'm still working on some stuff, it ranges from darkwave to noise to some classical sounding stuff.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #80
Stormtrooper of Death

If you don't already know this I'm in a UK82/anarchist punk band. I founded it with my bass player about 2 months ago or so. I play guitar and write the songs. I'm currently working on finding a name for the band and finding a singer and a more reliable drummer. I play a 1965 Gibson SG through a 30 watt VOX combo amp hooked to a Boss distortion pedal. My friend suggested the name All Coppers are Bastards, I don't know if I'll go with it yet.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #81
badteccy

I am no longer in a band
BUT, My radio station budd wants me to sing on one of his tracks. He said that I am an anomaly because I'm a "punk chick who sings jazz".
I would love to do a jazz/hip-hop fusion side project.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #82
le_revenant

...play an instrument? what is it?
For 16 years I played guitar. Had several. Then about 2 years ago I got tired of finding nothing but guitarists competing against me & switched to electric bass guitar. Surprisingly I've never been happier than when playing bass!
That said, I haven't given totally on the guitar as I play it still on my own & occasionally in a band.

... play in bands? what kinds? do you do shows?
I've played in several whilst a bass player. Mainly rock bands. Played a few gigs with the last band (which ended when the guitarist/singer went nuts; long story). Have yet to score a good gig w/ the current band. So I've been looking for "side projects"

As a guitar player I play every so often w/ some friends in a rockabilly/psychobilly band. I call it "rockabilly/psychobilly" b/c the guitar players in other local psycho bands basically play straightahead punk on guitar whilst I'm actually firing off rockabilly licks in between punky riffs.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to locate a steady upright-bass player so we haven't done any gigs....yet!

...what kind of hardware are you wielding?
Basswise, I use a Ibanez Soundgear 4-string played thru an Ampeg 4x8 powered by a 200w Fender BXR head. It gets the job done!
Guitarwise, I currently still have:
my original Strat-body, reversed-headstock, no-name, late-80s, modified 6-string electric relic;
my Yamaha acoustic;
my Epiphone SG w/ Gretsch whammy; I mean to get a true Gretsch hollowbody 6 string in the next month.
The electrics are played thru an old late-80s Crate, which I hope to upgrade to a blonde Fender Hot Rod Deluxe eventually.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #83
(heartofflames)

I play flute.....kinda frustrating when you're seeking emotional reprieve and all you have is a metal tube. I put up with it for 2 years, and besides, I need the musical experience for high school.

I would play in a band...it's just that a flute is kinda bad for rocking out, and I'm such a goody two shoes that I'm focusing on schoolwork.

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #84
GothicChristian

I'm thinking of starting a band, it would be in the genre of Symphonic Metal, I sing a lot and people tell me my voice is most suited for, and I quote, "music like Leaves Eyes or Evanescence." Most of my friends play instruments and are interested.
I can play keyboard/piano, but not while singing, and I don't own one.

Do any of you have any advice on how to get started?
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #85
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
I'm in a punk-type band, but we all have very different influences.

We're called Scarlet Laughter.

I play guitar, write lyrics, sing, and do violins occasionally.

www.myspace.com/scarletlaughter
You're really good. I'm listening to your Belladonna Demo right now.
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #86
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicChristian
You're really good. I'm listening to your Belladonna Demo right now.
Thanks

I'm aiming to get a bit more of a post-punky sound in the next few songs cause most of our current ones are more straightforward.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #87
DepthsofSpace

I'm so uncool. Never been in a band, and don't play anything besides a CD Player.

That said, I do create some music, more soundscape tracks, by maxing ambient noises and scores by other artist. It's not really original, though the arraignment is mine. I do it just for fun and to use in little films I put together...

It's ambient, and I would like to think the term 'dark' would fit in with the feel. Never really gotten feedback, or asked for it before...

http://myspace.com/depthsofspace
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #88
Metabolik

I play drums, but i'm not very good...
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #89
Draconysius

I play guitar in Address Unknown, a gothic rock band. We currently only have a vocalist and guitarist, but we think a drum machine would be a good idea. I also produce electronic music when I'm not busy with that, under the name End of Flowers. It's sort of new wave-EBM-ambient-industrial-whatthefuck.

As for my guitar, it's a Shechter 006 Deluxe. I've had it for nearly four years and it's been a very reliable axe.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #90
Underwater Ophelia

Lool, I used to sing in a power metal band.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #91
Metabolik

Really?! Sweet...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #92
Underwater Ophelia

Yeah, really.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #93
Zakyath

I play guitar and sing in some kind of punk-band. I refuse to write since I cannot write punk. Heh. Well, the songs I've written haven't been punk at all. It really makes you understand how close emo and punk are.
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #94
Rosie

http://www.myspace.com/psychoplasm/
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #95
korinna5555

Well.. Justin, Vyvian, and I have a band. We are The Flaming Creatures.
Since Vyvian is away at boarding school, and none of us are actually near each other, we have yet to actually play anything.

Lugosi - lead vocals, guitar, bass
Vyvian - lead vocals, guitar
Bela - back vocals, keyboard

we need to get a drum machine..
we are pretty much gonna mess around and record some stuff.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #96
niamaztor

I play piano / keyboard / organ and clarinet, and I also sing. I'm not in a band but my biggest dream is to start my own band. I'm looking for musicians right now, as a matter of fact. I really want a goth-influenced symphonic metal band in the line of Nightwish / Lacuna Coil.
niamaztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #97
niamaztor

If I could have a flute player in my band it would be awesome. Ur not in Canada by any chance are u??
niamaztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #98
heavilyrxmedicated

I just heard a flute solo in a hard rock song earlier, and it made my day. It was sooooo sweet... Who ever said that you couldn't rock out on the flute?!

In short, I'm a baritone vocalist/rhythm guitarist who writes decent harmonic metal and synth pop. Unfortunately, the band I'm trying to start up has 1 male vocalist/rhythm guitarist, 2 female vocalists/keyboardists/pianists (1 also plays autoharp and BASIC, BASIC guitar), and a bassist, so we're kinda screwed (Someday we might have a good guitarist or two, and a drummer, but not now. Right now it's just a few friends jamming together). But hey, it's all just for fun (for now). I'll be getting a hammer dulcimer as soon as I get the money for it, to make the sound even more weird.

Long version of my skills: I sing (formally trained in it in both a choir and solo format for as long as I can remember), Compose (~3 years now, no formal training), play rhythm guitar (~2 years now, ~5 months of formal training), and play the plucked psaltery (for about 5 years now, no formal training), pan pipes (for about 4 years now, no formal training), harmonica (for about 2 years now, no formal training), and a slew of percussion instruments, none of which are conventional drums.
heavilyrxmedicated is offline   Reply With Quote