Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Cen0bite

UFO sighted...must mean 'the end'

STEPHENVILLE, Texas (AP) -- In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.

Several dozen people -- including a pilot, county constable and business owners -- say they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively, absolutely nothing from these parts."

While federal officials say there's a logical explanation, locals swear that it was larger, quieter, faster and lower to the ground than an airplane. They also said the object's lights changed configuration, unlike those of a plane. People in several towns who reported seeing it over several weeks have offered similar descriptions of the object.

Machinist Ricky Sorrells said friends made fun of him when he told them he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Dublin, Texas, home. But he decided to come forward after reading similar accounts in the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

"You hear about big bass or big buck in the area, but this is a different deal," Sorrells said. "It feels good to hear that other people saw something, because that means I'm not crazy."

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of January 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

Officials at the region's two Air Force bases -- Dyess in Abilene and Sheppard in Wichita Falls -- also said none of their aircraft were in the area last week. The Air Force no longer investigates UFOs.

One man has offered a reward for a photograph or videotape of the mysterious object.

About 200 UFO sightings are reported each month, mostly in California, Colorado and Texas, according to the Mutual UFO Network, which plans to go to the 17,000-resident town of Stephenville to investigate.

Fourteen percent of Americans polled last year by The Associated Press and Ipsos say they have seen a UFO.

Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan said he first saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving fast, but that even with binoculars could not see the object to which the lights were attached.

"I didn't see a flying saucer and I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft -- at least I hope it was."
-----------------------------------------------

It's funny to me, 'cuz i just watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the first time last night. lol.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Kanedawg

"It's funny to me, 'cuz i just watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the first time last night. lol." :^)

I've seen things a couple of times that were weird in the sky. And I am not obsessed with UFOs or anything. I think there is something to it, and that there is some spin that goes on to cover up any such notions taking root.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
emeraldlonewoulf

Look up "lights over Phoenix" from about eight or nine years ago. That made the front page of the state paper. Same thing, lights seemingly attached to a large object that was almost indiscernible, moving over tracts of large, mostly rural land. That was something i saw with my own eyes, as did several hundred other people in the surrounding area. I know what it wasn't, but not what it was. It was NOT a plane.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlonewoulf
Look up "lights over Phoenix" from about eight or nine years ago. That made the front page of the state paper. Same thing, lights seemingly attached to a large object that was almost indiscernible, moving over tracts of large, mostly rural land. That was something i saw with my own eyes, as did several hundred other people in the surrounding area. I know what it wasn't, but not what it was. It was NOT a plane.
Wow.
Interesting to hear from someone who's had a first hand account of something like that.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Lapin

See, why doesn't anything cool like this happen in Maryland? All I ever see is airplanes. (Yes, they're planes)
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
IsolatedReptile

White this is very interesting, I'm not going to lie: I find it mighty suspicious that not one of all of the people who saw this had a camera, especially considering that cameras are on phones now and some phones seem to be equally as much a camera.

I'm not saying it didn't happen or something strange didn't occur, especially with so many "eye witnesses," but with no form of hard evidence I feel as though someone's pulling on my leg and whispering wolf in my ear.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
White this is very interesting, I'm not going to lie: I find it mighty suspicious that not one of all of the people who saw this had a camera, especially considering that cameras are on phones now and some phones seem to be equally as much a camera.

I'm not saying it didn't happen or something strange didn't occur, especially with so many "eye witnesses," but with no form of hard evidence I feel as though someone's pulling on my leg and whispering wolf in my ear.
Seeing as it's from a farming community, and from people who believe in 'end times'... it would seem to me that people like that wouldn't be so into technology.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
How Low Can You Go Moe

What rag's that commie hogwash from?
How Low Can You Go Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Nevan

The aliens are coming to get you...

*make spooky noises*

But not me though, cause aliens know better than to come to South Africa

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
How Low Can You Go Moe

I bet it's made up, that's what.
How Low Can You Go Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #11
Valerius

Stranger and stranger things happening... First a heart reanimated, now this.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
Drake Dun

From my own occasional diggings around regarding UFOs, I did not get the impression that hoaxes, swamp gas, and stupidity are enough to account for everything. There are just too many people, and too many stories from credible sources. There is some kind of funny business going on.

That said, I really doubt that the something in question is visitors from another star. The most likely culprit is the usual suspect - Homo sapiens.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0Bite
UFO sighted...must mean 'the end'
Perhaps Childhood's End?
Then we will see the end of war and bullfighting when our new Overlords take control.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
Tam Li Hua

I'm willing to accept there could be something up there.
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #15
AngelikDemonik

I believe in aliens, but I don't really think they're coming to Earth to hang out. At least, not in the amounts people claim.

I really think a lot of these sightings are just undercover government aircrafts.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
Agent17

I once had a firsthand encounter with a UFO (Unidentified Flying Object) when I was about 14, I was with my parents and several other people were near me that night by the Pepacton Reservoir in New York, part of the NYC watershed. We were just coming back from the Delaware County Fair in Walton and it was about 22:30, we were on the north side of the reservoir when I look up in the sky and see a large triangular aircraft flying quite fast and very high (It flew over the mountain top) it also made no noise at all, just completely silent.

My father pulled the car over to watch, as well did the other drivers behind and ahead of us, so were were obviously not the only witnesses.

I have never seen anything like it before, it had four lights on the bottom of the craft, with one light on each point of the triangle and one in the middle, it was also bigger than any other aircraft I have ever scene, it was flying high because flew over the mountaintops, meaning it had to be huge if it was that far in the sky and still appeared to be that large.
Agent17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
I believe in aliens, but I don't really think they're coming to Earth to hang out. At least, not in the amounts people claim..
Something tells me that a species or race advanced enough to travel across space would most likely be beyond our comprehension. Whatever they're doing, we might understand the basics of it, however, once we get past the "science," "Chillin'," or "destruction," we'd have a hard time figuring it out.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 AM   #18
CptSternn

Quote:
"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide.
Umm...I am quite well versed on the End Of Days, as laid out in Revelations 13 and the Book of Daniel 7-11. Nowhere in the scripture does it mention UFO's or little green men, or am I missing something here?

The anti-christ doesn't come from Mars, and he doesn't fly down in a shiny silver disc either...

That being said, something that IS in the Bible - the seventh seal which is the sign of the beginning of the end is when the anti-christ steps foot in the Holy Land.

This week bush went to Jerusalem for the first time. Now, THAT should keep people in the Bible belt up at night.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Cen0bite

Maybe, but why would they think Bush is the anti-christ, considering that so many christians voted for him?
At that time, i remember a lot of people were worried about Al Gore being the anti-christ.
Useless crap i learned while overhearing conversations in church. lol.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
Kanedawg

Hey, Cen0bite. I'd think from all the people who have died and worse because of his WMD "intelligence failures." (Or is he "the prince of liars?") A couple armchair generals I know confirmed that the
14-year-old Iraqi boy who had his arms blown off while asleep in his bed was shown on T.V., but the mainstream media did not cover a
4-year-old girl with shrapnel in her spine or a 7-year-old boy burned over 70 per cent of his body. Then there is the threat this president "elect" appears to pose to democracy, the economy, free speech, and the environment, and the friend he clearly appears to be to the military industrial complex. Wouldn't the support of Christians appeal to the anti-Christ?

Maybe check out this site. www.bushisantichrist.com
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #21
Cen0bite

you gotta be kidding me. I'm pretty sure there is more than 1 person's name that adds up to 666, ok?
Numerology is crap.
It's just as bad as astrology.
ANd since when did "the horns" become a sign between practicing satanists? ooo..soo spooky, a satanic manual. ok, bullshit.
my Master has a few things involving the ONA..and i'm yet to see anything involving horns.
honestly, we are in the 21st century. it is just beyond me how people can still fall for this bullshit.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #22
Kanedawg

I take it with a grain of salt to be sure. There are silly cartoonish images on the site which lend it a satirical flare. I think the weirdest thing is the pics of Bush and family as well as Clinton and others supporting The Texas Longhorns all over the place. As for claiming Bush is a Christian as juxtaposed with his behavior, well, anybody can claim to be a Christian.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
Maybe, but why would they think Bush is the anti-christ, considering that so many christians voted for him?
At that time, i remember a lot of people were worried about Al Gore being the anti-christ.
Useless crap i learned while overhearing conversations in church. lol.
The Book Of Daniel 7-11 describes the anti-christ and how he will become known to the world.

It says that he will be a leader of a great nation, preach peace through war, and lead Christian masses, falsely, but they follow him just the same.

I could go on, or you could just read it and see...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
Cen0bite

but of course, it only makes sense if you actually believe in the anti-christ and all that other bullshit.
i couldn't see someone calling themselves a rational person and believing all that.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #25
Kanedawg

Hi, Cen0bite. First off, for my part, I sincerely apologize if I have upset you.

What I personally believe for sure is that if Bush is thought of as Christian he is not my idea of a very good one. As for believing in things like the anti-Christ, I don't really, *really* believe, but some wee part of me is not totally sure of anything. If a person believes for example in Christ, then they might as well believe in the anti-Christ too I would think.

Have a good one.