Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Rosie

I has a PM!!!

From Sekhmet.

"Cunt

Please fuck off. You are really getting boring."

<3 <3 <3 <3
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Delkaetre

If you guys are telling some kind of joke between yourselves, please make it a little more obvious for us poor sleep-deprived fools.
Rosie, if you genuinely got that PM from Sekhmet and it some kind of rivarly/ argument/ bitchfest/ other, then don't bring it up here. Talk to her about it, and talk to the Admin. The Admin do sometimes reply and help if you have a problem.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
If you guys are telling some kind of joke between yourselves, please make it a little more obvious for us poor sleep-deprived fools.
Rosie, if you genuinely got that PM from Sekhmet and it some kind of rivarly/ argument/ bitchfest/ other, then don't bring it up here. Talk to her about it, and talk to the Admin. The Admin do sometimes reply and help if you have a problem.
It's just a bunch of fairly new members who seem to be in a fanclub for two older members who act like new members. It's really irritating because they're very unfunny and immature but act like they're master trolls or comedians. I don't think the admin will do anything - admins almost always judge style over substance and won't do anything about people just for being unfunny and spamming the crap out of decent threads, unfortunately.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Delkaetre

They may be new members, but they're regular posters and have more of a presence on the board than you have. You have had an account for some time, but don't seem to bother posting much and when you do you lose your temper and seem to pick fights.
You may have to give in on this one and leave them to it. You find it irritating, yes, but that's just how things are. We all have to deal with things that irritate us.
The admin remove serious trolls. They've taken off a few members who've been clearly concerned with starting something or preaching Nazism. Sometimes, Admin do actually help. But from what I remember of your rather confrontational approach to Admin last time I saw you post actively on here, you're not going to ask them for help.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Delkaetre

Aww, Raven... I'm so glad somebody cares!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Rosie

Quote:
They may be new members, but they're regular posters and have more of a presence on the board than you have. You have had an account for some time, but don't seem to bother posting much and when you do you lose your temper and seem to pick fights.
You may have to give in on this one and leave them to it. You find it irritating, yes, but that's just how things are. We all have to deal with things that irritate us.
The admin remove serious trolls. They've taken off a few members who've been clearly concerned with starting something or preaching Nazism. Sometimes, Admin do actually help. But from what I remember of your rather confrontational approach to Admin last time I saw you post actively on here, you're not going to ask them for help.
But, see, when I do post, it's sometimes vaguely worthwhile or important. Most of their posts are just piss.

They're just dragging the intelligence level here down, and it's bad enough as is. Post "cleanout" gothic.net really doesn't need to be diluted any further...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Delkaetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
But, see, when I do post, it's sometimes vaguely worthwhile or important. Most of their posts are just piss.

They're just dragging the intelligence level here down, and it's bad enough as is. Post "cleanout" gothic.net really doesn't need to be diluted any further...
Don't start putting yourself above everyone else, that's what leads to flamewars. Post cleanout, most of the old members who weren't deleted just left. The forums are effectively shiny new recycled forums- don't look for the old GNet here, it doesn't exist. If you think that the new crowd are dumbing things down and making it intolerable, then find another forum to frequent. I'm sorry, kitten, but it really is just that basic.
Every time I log to GNet, I find that there are about twenty new threads. Maybe five of them are of use to me. I don't bother with the rest of them. You will have to learn to do this as well.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Tha Duckman

Well, deal with it, toots.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Clockwork

Weren't you complaining about not even having private messaging earlier or something?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Lapin

(Really likes Delkaetre today)

Sekhmet, that's crossing some lines.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Rosie

Quote:
Don't start putting yourself above everyone else, that's what leads to flamewars. Post cleanout, most of the old members who weren't deleted just left. The forums are effectively shiny new recycled forums- don't look for the old GNet here, it doesn't exist. If you think that the new crowd are dumbing things down and making it intolerable, then find another forum to frequent. I'm sorry, kitten, but it really is just that basic.
Every time I log to GNet, I find that there are about twenty new threads. Maybe five of them are of use to me. I don't bother with the rest of them. You will have to learn to do this as well.
The problem is they came into MY thread and spammed it. I can't just "ignore" my own threads.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
Delkaetre

The thread was started by you. It is, however, an open thread.
You can make an announcement on a common-room notice board at school, but you can't stop anyone from replying to it or even just doodling on the pages. Threads get treated in the same way around here. Some people will offer a review or contstructive criticism, others will just scribble on the pages.
Do not place such strong ownership values on a thread. It's just a thread. It's just a small fragment of discussion on the great wide webs, and ultimately of not much value- you can check it for what information you need, then discard it. Consider it no more than a post it note with info about a delayed class. Post it up, check for useful responses, ignore the kids with the colourful crayons doodling on it.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Rosie

Quote:
The thread was started by you. It is, however, an open thread.
You can make an announcement on a common-room notice board at school, but you can't stop anyone from replying to it or even just doodling on the pages. Threads get treated in the same way around here. Some people will offer a review or contstructive criticism, others will just scribble on the pages.
Do not place such strong ownership values on a thread. It's just a thread. It's just a small fragment of discussion on the great wide webs, and ultimately of not much value- you can check it for what information you need, then discard it. Consider it no more than a post it note with info about a delayed class. Post it up, check for useful responses, ignore the kids with the colourful crayons doodling on it.
Just because they "can" doesn't make it right. There's such a thing as going immeasurably off-topic. When someone's asking an important, genuine question, it's just rude to stamp your uninteresting personality all over it.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
Lapin

I'm getting out the glittery crayons. (I've got some somewhere from MND)
Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
Tha Duckman

Hands up if you listed a good place in England?

[Raises hand].
Old 02-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
Lapin

Yes Duck, you did something useful. (Pats you on the head) What, do want a treat?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
Tha Duckman

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Lapin

Well Hell, what do you think I've got to offer?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
They're just dragging the intelligence level here down
Intelligence is overrated. Believe me, I've been there, and I wasn't impressed.
When we're asked to build a catapult as a team, or to draft a new manifesto for society to live by, then, maybe then, we'll rub together our IQ points in an intellectual way society might approve of.
But after doing that we'll set the draft on fire and catapult it and then set that catapult on fire and go back to talking about what licking the belly of a turtle feels like, because it's just a better use of our time.
In all honesty, I miss a lot of the old guys about a year or two ago, but I prefer today's forum. Goth has been reduced to what it really is: a musical style - not a pseudo-intellectual excuse for the glorification of the ego which encompasses everything and everyone good in this existence, whether they know it or not. (unfortunately that feeling hasn't faded away in its entirety)
To anyone curious about the differences between then and now, they're best explained by this analogy:
http://xkcd.com/167/
We're the beret guy.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
Lapin

So can I continue to be a wine-drinking construction worker/artist who listens to The Cure with no feelings of inadequacy?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I'm actually sad about that.
I miss Xng.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #22
Delkaetre

I never knew the old lot, but I've dug through some of the old threads. The board really has changed completely.
And, as final reply to Rosie... yes, it's rude. People are rude. People talk over each other and interrupt and act silly. Just taking public transport when there's a few kids on it should tell you that. Stop acting surprised and insulted, sometimes people need to let go and do whatever they want for a while. You are not more important than anyone else here, and asking that they change their ways for you or treat you differently to everyone else is and act of incredible ego.
Of course, I haven't slept well and I'm annoyed that I missed yesterday's festivities, so I may be a bit snappy.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #23
Solumina

Quote:
Just because they "can" doesn't make it right. There's such a thing as going immeasurably off-topic. When someone's asking an important, genuine question, it's just rude to stamp your uninteresting personality all over it.
Oh stop being pissy because the old members didn't invite you along when they left. Gnet is different now and I think it is quite a load of fun. Plus if I want an intellectual debate I can still go and talk to all the old gnetters
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #24
SATANJAX

Rosie, your head is too far up your own arse.

Attention seeking perhaps?

Get off your rocking horse and get into the real world!!!
SATANJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #25
Clockwork

I never knew the "old" Gnet, but I think it reached an amiable state around a year ago.

Now it's a stinking shitheap. All these trolls make me feel like I'm posting on some godforsaken Nick.com forum or something.