Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Steele_Mistress

Of all the reasons for divorce, this one is the best..

Quote:
A couple are divorcing after a woman found her was husband cheating – with a virtual character in an online world.

Amy Taylor caught estranged husband David Pollard having sex with an animated woman in Second Life. 'I went mad – I was so hurt.

I just couldn't believe what he'd done,' said Ms Taylor, 28. 'I looked at the screen and saw his character having sex. It's cheating, as far as I'm concerned.'

The couple met online in 2003 and, within months, she had moved into 40-year-old Mr Pollard's flat in Newquay, Cornwall.

They spent hours together on Second Life, where players create fantasy lives, with jobs and relationships.

After two years, the pair married – in real life and in the game – but Ms Taylor said she knew something was wrong.

'I had my susp_icions about what he was doing in Second Life,' she added.

In February last year, she caught her husband's avatar, Dave Barmy, having sex with a call girl in the game.

Her character, Laura Skye, hired a virtual private detective to investigate his online adultery.

But Mr Pollard apologised and begged for forgiveness.

But the final bombshell came this April, when she caught her husband with his new online flame, Modesty McDonnell.

'I caught him cuddling a woman on a sofa in the game. It looked really affectionate,' said Ms Taylor, who filed for _divorce the next day.

'He confessed he'd been talking to this woman in America for weeks and said he didn't love me any more.'

Ms Taylor said she was down for a while – but now has a new man, who she met in the online game World Of Warcraft.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34
Steele_Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
jack_the_knife

Some people just have the strangest of habits...
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Steele_Mistress

Yes they do.
I actually find this quite SAD.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
DRM

Why would you be that mad, I mean, it's online.
It's not like she actually walked in on him cuddeling with some woman.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM
Why would you be that mad, I mean, it's online.
It's not like she actually walked in on him cuddeling with some woman.
Because it shows that the willingness to cheat is there. Also, you say "it's online" as if the internet is just a big playground where everyone can do whatever they want without consequence. It's a form of communication, like meeting at a pub or talking on the phone. Why should bad behavior be excused on the internet when it isn't excused anywhere else?

Anyways, the whole situation seems rather silly to me.

You, Ms. Digital Restrictions Management, go introduce yourself in the intro forum.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Solumina

He said that he didn't love her anymore, I'm pretty sure that is the reason for the divorce, him snuggling with someone on Second Life was just how that lack of love manifested.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Steele_Mistress

DRM < Because some people have mental problems. xD
Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Saya

*checks to see if its The Onion*

Wow.

I'll have to agree with Solumina, since he says he doesn't love her anymore obviously there's more to it than just her freaking out over the game.

I really don't understand the Second Life craze. Wasn't there an article a while back about a woman planning to kill her Second Life boyfriend (in real life) after he broke up with her?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
jack_the_knife

To have a second life don't you have to have a first one anyway?
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
Alarica

He wasnt happy in the marriage and made it clear, she like most women was having none of it and wanted a reason herself to end it. There she has her reason. She was just hurt that by seeing that she knew there was absolutely no chance of a reconciliation. But honestly, people who need to play games like that need to get out more!
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Necrophagist

She loves a guy on World Of Warcraft....
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Steele_Mistress

Saya < Neither do I [get what the craze is]. It's kind of boring in my opinion..like real life. xD

Necrophagist < Sad, huh? You'd think from learning from ONE game that she'd try to find someone in real life or something instead of meeting someone online she knows barely anything about.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife
To have a second life don't you have to have a first one anyway?
This made me lol.
True indeed.

But i agree with solumina, the guy said he doesn't love her anymore.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Tralis

I had a freind who loved Second Life... it basically seemed like a huge orgy to me, in a bad way. She tried to convince me to join but it just seemed too licentious for my taste. This is made even more amusing since I just had to read an article for a class about how Google Earth and Second Life are both equating cyberspace with real space.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Also, you say "it's online" as if the internet is just a big playground where everyone can do whatever they want without consequence.
It is.

Quote:
I had a freind who loved Second Life... it basically seemed like a huge orgy to me, in a bad way.
I know there are a bunch who made their avatars children so random people would stop trying to solicit sex from them. If I joined second life at all, I'd probably be one as well.
http://newbabbage.ning.com/group/babbagestreeturchins
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
KontanKarite

This is technically cheating. I mean yes, in context, it's childish.

BUT. He should have asked his wife if this kind of thing was cool or not. This isn't just a faceless digital set of zeros and ones, there's a person on the other side of that connection.

If we're to agree that when we say "I love you" in a romantic way, it is the domain of those we choose to bind ourselves to. When it's used outside of said binding/agreement between the parties involved, then you are breaching that trust.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #17
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
It is.
Why? I know people tend to treat it that way, but why should how we communicate using a screen and keyboard be treated or regarded any differently than any other means?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #18
stolide

Because I can dissapear entirely and never see any of you again. And unless you were determined to find me, there would be no consequences.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolide
Because I can dissapear entirely and never see any of you again. And unless you were determined to find me, there would be no consequences.
You are fucking brilliant , marry a jerk