Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #276
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Okay Despanan, let's have a crash course in basic English.

Person 1: I postulate the theory that nuclear missiles are spontaneously occurring death-machines with the intention of destroying the entire universe.

Person 2: Actually, given the evidence we have collected, more than nuclear missiles being spontaneous, HUMANS invented nuclear missiles.

As in, it is more likely that THIS (second theory) is the case, than THIS (first theory).
If that is proper grammar, and I'm not certain it is, that's a fucktarded way of saying something. If indeed people actually use that term (and I can't say I've ever encountered it before; colloquially or academically) you can't blame someone for becoming confused about it's meaning, especially on the bloody internet where the English language isn't just abused, it's dragged into the street and beaten with a pipe.

If indeed that is what Jillian meant I apologize for misunderstanding, however that's really more or less a technicality in the context of my original post anyway, as all of this lactose intolerance stuff has nothing to do with the debate at hand, and never did.

You know what, I barely remember what we're even arguing about anymore.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #277
ximmortalkitten

I'm a vegetarian, going vegan VERY shortly. I was vegan back in 2008, but went back because I really wanted cheese on my pizza -Laughs- :P Anyway, I have been vegetarian for about 9-10 years now, and I originally went veg because I didn't want to eat animals, plain and simple. As I started to age and look deeper into it, I REALLY did not want to eat animals. When I was around 19, I found too many websites that started telling me how the egg and dairy industries are and that made me like it even less. I wanted to be vegan. I also learned that eating vegetarian/vegan is really good for the environment, which I'm all for as well. So it was really a mix of things for me. But because of my diet, I am anemic. I have been slightly anemic for years, but I am actually iron-deficient now (mostly because I was pregnant last year, and am still nursing. My baby is taking all my iron! :P) I never liked red meat or fish, chicken was okay sometimes, as with pork, but that was it. I prefer me some veggies! xD
ximmortalkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #278
Pineapple_Juice

Damn you for bringing this thread back to life.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #279
ximmortalkitten

It happens :P
ximmortalkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #280
Catch

Maight as well:

Vegan to Flexitarian
Old 05-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #281
Skye Jules

I want to be vegetarian, simply because I know I'd be fine without meat and for ethical reasons, but as it were, I live at home and am already a picky enough eater without having to complicate things more with my mom.

But I don't eat a whole lot of meat, in any case, and ever since I got into college and started eating less, which includes less meat, I've noticed that when I do get sick, it doesn't last as long as it used to, and I rarely get sick now.
Skye Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #282
Alan

If you can afford it, try finding food that is more humanely processed, like free range chicken.
If you ever become vegetarian, do note that the milk and eggs still come from the same factory farms if you haven't first committed yourself to humane companies. Also, none of that organic crap. Organic foods are just bullshit.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #283
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you can afford it, try finding food that is more humanely processed, like free range chicken.
If you ever become vegetarian, do note that the milk and eggs still come from the same factory farms if you haven't first committed yourself to humane companies. Also, none of that organic crap. Organic foods are just bullshit.
Why is organic bullshit? From what I understand, its one way to avoid buying GMO (although more organic farmers are sadly finding GMO in their crops), the less pesticides used the less health risks for farm workers, and the less damage done to the environment. I would understand that if meat consumption were to remain the same but all factory farms went free range organic, there would not be enough food or room and would lead to desertification and overgrazing, but for veggies I never heard any reason not to eat organic when possible.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #284
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Jules View Post
I want to be vegetarian, simply because I know I'd be fine without meat and for ethical reasons, but as it were, I live at home and am already a picky enough eater without having to complicate things more with my mom.

But I don't eat a whole lot of meat, in any case, and ever since I got into college and started eating less, which includes less meat, I've noticed that when I do get sick, it doesn't last as long as it used to, and I rarely get sick now.
You're in college and your mom still cooks and buys your food for you?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #285
Still Jack

I just love various meats too much to become vegetarian. I already eat a large amount of vegetables, but that's mostly garnishing, or a side dish, for the meat.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #286
KissMeDeadly

Being the red-blooded, rootin' tootin' gun shootin' American that I am, I love the hell out of meat. One of the finest meals around, I think, is a nice, bloody rare Porterhouse steak, and maybe some of that green stuff next to my potato.

However.

I find it morally reprehensible to eat meat in my society. I'm not saying that humans are not natural omnivores, because we are, but what I'm saying is that I at least no longer have a need to eat meat. I have the luxury of not having to hunt for my food, or, in most cases, even worry about going hungry.

And so because of this, I find it wrong to needlessly take the life of another being. I feel it's my moral obligation to abstain from it because I consider it senseless killing. I'm one of those weird people who counts humans as another species of animal and therefore consider killing a cat on par with killing a human, even though they're arguably less sentient.

Now that I'm on the subject, I hate the 'sentience' argument. The argument that a cow is less sentient than a human, and therefore it is ok to kill or to keep in horrible conditions, seems like it should apply to mentally handicapped people. They're less sentient than the rest of us, can I put your retarded child in a cage, get him fat, butcher him, wear his skin, and eat him?

I think most people would disagree with killing retards (maybe not on Gnet, though )

But I feel maybe I should clarify that meat eating is OK for some, for example, homeless people who have nothing else to eat, or the more tribal cultures that still rely on hunting as a major source of food. Chad from accounting doesn't need to hunt for his food, but Tarzan King of the Jungle might, and that's perfectly OK.

I should also clarify my stance on plant eating, because I know what everybody is going to say already, that plants are alive and less sentient then humans. My reply? I have to eat something, and plants got the short end of the stick. It sucks for them, but really I don't think they'll complain as they don't have thoughts or feelings. I try not to even kill bugs if I can help it, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #287
retribution

Been a vegetarian since I was 8.
Don't really know why I started. Kinda just me being a stupid kid. Read some shit in a magazine about diseases you can get from meat, and I knew a vegetarian who I talked to a lot.

and I decided to be one.

Right now I am really glad I am a vegetarian, however. Not a big part of my life, but I'm definitely glad I am a vegetarian.

Is it just me or do goths seem to be more prone to be vegetarian? I've never meet a preppy vegetarian in my life, yet 10-20% of my friends are vegetarians.
retribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #288
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Why is organic bullshit? From what I understand, its one way to avoid buying GMO (although more organic farmers are sadly finding GMO in their crops), the less pesticides used the less health risks for farm workers, and the less damage done to the environment.
Most pesticides are benign. The issue is bad regulation, not pesticides.
Quote:
I would understand that if meat consumption were to remain the same but all factory farms went free range organic, there would not be enough food or room and would lead to desertification and overgrazing, but for veggies I never heard any reason not to eat organic when possible.
Because organic food to be classified as organic cannot use synthetic fertilizers.
What this means is that the biggest, if not the only, fertilizer organic farms use is bovine manure, the biggest contaminant in the world. And let's not forget that this directly ties the organic industry as dependent on the existence of the bovine industry.
real classy
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #289
Saya

Quote:
Most pesticides are benign. The issue is bad regulation, not pesticides.
Because organic food to be classified as organic cannot use synthetic fertilizers.
What this means is that the biggest, if not the only, fertilizer organic farms use is bovine manure, the biggest contaminant in the world. And let's not forget that this directly ties the organic industry as dependent on the existence of the bovine industry.
You promote "humane" meat but you're upset that farms might use animal fertilizer? Aside from poisons found in synethic fertilizer, that does not mean that large non-organic farms do not use manure or bloodmeal in addition. Also, organic farms use less fertilizers anyway since they rely on crop rotation and green manure, and plant and mineral based fertilizers are available and widely used. While no doubt organic farms do use manure, not all of them do and even the ones that do are more likely just using it in addition to green manure and other non-animal fertilizers, its not like they utterly need it or are dependant on the bovine industry, at least no more so than any other farm. Its like saying I won't use the bus because their tires might have animal in them and then I go and buy my own car with leather seats.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #290
retribution

Less meat is produced than the bread thats used to feed the animals. If people would just make bread with the grain it'd end world hunger.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #291
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You promote "humane" meat but you're upset that farms might use animal fertilizer? Aside from poisons found in synethic fertilizer, that does not mean that large non-organic farms do not use manure or bloodmeal in addition. Also, organic farms use less fertilizers anyway since they rely on crop rotation and green manure, and plant and mineral based fertilizers are available and widely used. While no doubt organic farms do use manure, not all of them do and even the ones that do are more likely just using it in addition to green manure and other non-animal fertilizers, its not like they utterly need it or are dependant on the bovine industry, at least no more so than any other farm. Its like saying I won't use the bus because their tires might have animal in them and then I go and buy my own car with leather seats.
Uh, no, it isn't at all. That's a terrible analogy.
You just said a bunch of "but it might" clauses which naively presume that organic farms are small humane enterprises by people who care.
They are not. They are overwhelmingly merely subsidiaries to the same big agricultural industries, and the overwhelmingly use animal fertilizers.
Organic-obsessed lifestyles are as unsustainable as meat-based diets, and way more hypocritical.

The real practical solution is industrial agriculture veganism. I'm sick and tired of petty bourgeois people denying the crucial importance of the green revolution.
real classy
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #292
donmara

Quote:
You just said a bunch of "but it might" clauses which naively presume that organic farms are small humane enterprises by people who care.
They are not. They are overwhelmingly merely subsidiaries to the same big agricultural industries, and the overwhelmingly use animal fertilizers.
Organic-obsessed lifestyles are as unsustainable as meat-based diets, and way more hypocritical.

The real practical solution is industrial agriculture veganism. I'm sick and tired of petty bourgeois people denying the crucial importance of the green revolution.
Can you explain to me why the need for a green revolution ? I dont mean to fret, I'm just ignorant on this subject.
donmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #293
retribution

I've been looking into a diet of only vegetables, fruits, and hemp seed.
No grains.
I might try it out. I'll let you guys know.
But if I'm right, then its the diet of the future.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #294
Saya

Quote:

There's might because you're painting a whole industry as if there are no exceptions. There are smaller organic farms that you can buy from, perhaps locally if you live in a place where there are local farms that are worse. On the other hand, you say that regulation is needed for pesticides and most are benign so its a moot point, but thats a big if too. Farming regulation can be very difficult, especially when it comes to animal products since their lobbyists have way too much influence. IF a farm chooses not to use harmful chemicals, then its okay, but not everyone is able to find that out but the organic label does ensure no pesticides, so no worries about that, and no GMO.

As for sustainability, I know we're always going to need an amount of industrial farming, and I certainly do encourage more regulation and I'm too poor to eat organic much of the time, but when I do have the money for it I'd just rather eat something that I know comes from a good source than one I don't know. When there is better regulation, I'll feel a bit better about it. As for whether its bourgeois or not, most people I know who tout organic are working class, we're trying to see if we can't start an urban garden in the near future (sadly we all live in basement apartments with animals around) and my local Food Not Bombs tends to get donations from local farms including the few organic farms we have, and my roommate and I do get free food from her parents when they harvest their organic garden. I have no feelings that organic farms are owned by philanthropists who till the earth with unicorns, just generally they're at least the lesser of evils as of right now.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #295
reqviem

Who is living vegan / vegetarian? And why?

I 'm vegan. For two years now, three more as vegetarian. I answer your questions.

Ethic reasons? Yes, of course, the cruelty, insdustrialization and fucking capitalism.

Medical reasons? I think there's more heathlty.

Religious reasons? I don`t think is religion, but i belive in the conection and equilibrium with the mother earth and his/her creatures.

Flavor reasons? I don`t quit meat for flavor, is delicious. But my beliefs are more importants.
reqviem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #296
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by reqviem View Post

I 'm vegan. For two years now, three more as vegetarian. I answer your questions.
Good Job, me too.
Quote:
Ethic reasons? Yes, of course, the cruelty, industrialization and fucking capitalism.
As much as I love to shit on capitalism (and I do) there are carnivorous communists.

Quote:
Only when care is taken. A vegan who doesn't make sure they're getting the right nutrients and simply eats junk food is going to be very sick.

Quote:
Religious reasons? I don`t think is religion, but i belive in the conection and equilibrium with the mother earth and his/her creatures.
Belief in the super natural is religion, whether major or not. The Idea of "Mother" Nature is religious.
Quote:
Flavor reasons? I don`t quit meat for flavor, is delicious. But my beliefs are more importants.
Get spell check.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #297
KontanKarite

Quote:

Ethic reasons? Yes, of course, the cruelty, insdustrialization and fucking capitalism.

...Fuck you, holy roller.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #298
triggerhappi26

Tofu Vegan Zombie for you all!!!!!!
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #299
Saya

Its sad, I actually saw an episode of Tofu The Vegan Zombie.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #300
Pineapple_Juice

I did too. Couldn't decide what to make of it.