Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
deathbycherries

Inspiration from Books

When I browse through books I always get so picky. Books that aren't great don't hold my attention; I'm quickly bored to death by books aiming to please some aesthetic. I want a book to pull me in and devour me. I've decided the problem is that the book I want to read hasn't been written yet, and so I'm going to try to write it.

Am I just bored with humanity or what?
deathbycherries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Alan

I want to punch you.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
in.the.moon

lmfao, what are some examples of books u dont think are "great"
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
deathbycherries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I want to punch you.
Wow. You're a loser. There's worse things I could call you, except...I'm not a low-life...
Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
deathbycherries

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.the.moon View Post
lmfao, what are some examples of books u dont think are "great"
Generic Twilight crap if you want to know.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Saya

Maybe you should look up good writers. I'd recommend Margaret Atwood.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
deathbycherries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Maybe you should look up good writers. I'd recommend Margaret Atwood.
Actually, I've read one of her books: Surfacing.

I'm still reading this book: Shantaram. Shantaram is a 2003 novel by Gregory David Roberts, a convicted Australian bank robber and heroin addict who escaped from Pentridge Prison and fled to India where he lived for 10 years. While partially based on Roberts' own experiences, Roberts himself has clarified that the story and its incidents are largely fictional.

It's pretty damn good.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Alan

I'm the loser?
I'm not the one getting all misanthropic because he fucking believes he can write something better than Paradise Lost, or Nausea, or The Human Condition, or Open Veins, or the Divine Comedy, or the Iliad, or Howl, or the Portrait of Dorian Grey, or The Prince, or Metamorphosis, or Oliver Twist, or The Stranger, or War and Peace, or First as Farce then as Tragedy, or The Idiot, or The Bonfire of Vanities, or The Republic, or Dying Earth, or Thus Spoke Zarathustra, or Hyperion, or Ilium, or On The Road, or The Prince, or Watchmen, or Safe Area Gorazde, or Being and Nothingness, or the Myth of Sisyphus, or Utopia, or The Master and Margarita, or The Brothers Karamazov, or Tale of Two Cities, or Sandino, or The Count of Montecristo, Dirty Hands, or The Great Gatsby, or The Stranger, or the Hunchback or Notre Dame, or On the Road, or Jazz, or The Time Machine, or Empire, or Discipline and Punish, or Being and Nothingness, or Huckleberry Finn, or Multitude, or The Prince, or Society of the Spectacle, or Song of Khali, or Gitanjali, or War and Peace, or Metamorphosis, or The Prophet, or The Adventure of Ideas...

Anyone else got other examples? I don't think this idiot gets the fucking point.
real classy
Old 11-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm the loser?
I'm not the one getting all misanthropic because he fucking believes he can write something better than Paradise Lost, or Nausea, or The Human Condition, or Open Veins, or the Divine Comedy, or the Iliad, or Howl, or the Portrait of Dorian Grey, or The Prince, or Metamorphosis, or Oliver Twist, or The Stranger, or War and Peace, or First as Farce then as Tragedy, or The Idiot, or The Bonfire of Vanities, or The Republic, or Dying Earth, or Thus Spoke Zarathustra, or Hyperion, or Ilium, or On The Road, or The Prince, or Watchmen, or Safe Area Gorazde, or Being and Nothingness, or the Myth of Sisyphus, or Utopia, or The Master and Margarita, or The Brothers Karamazov, or Tale of Two Cities, or Sandino, or The Count of Montecristo, Dirty Hands, or The Great Gatsby, or The Stranger, or the Hunchback or Notre Dame, or On the Road, or Jazz, or The Time Machine, or Empire, or Discipline and Punish, or Being and Nothingness, or Huckleberry Finn, or Multitude, or The Prince, or Society of the Spectacle, or Song of Khali, or Gitanjali, or War and Peace, or Metamorphosis, or The Prophet, or The Adventure of Ideas...

Anyone else got other examples? I don't think this idiot gets the fucking point.
DEATHBYCHERRIES:this is a great list of books to read before you make such a bold statement and before you start writing your book, im sure you can get some pointers. The Count of Monte Cristo andThe Picture of Dorian Gray are some of my favorites mentioned here, although my favorite book by Oscar Wilde is Vera, or the Nihilists
Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
deathbycherries

Thanks InTheMoon. Here's a book apparently no one can agree on: http://www.amazon.com/Hannibal-Thoma.../dp/0440224675

The reason that came to mind was the part about how he didn't kill her because she wasn't rude.

Sometimes I think it'd be cool to be a serial killer, no one tells you what to think or what to do because they're all so afraid of you... and you can play in their blood. Ok I'm kidding. Partly.

Alan, are you psychic? Do you know whether I missed the point or not because at the end of your paragraph you already assumed I didn't get it. I get where you're coming from, but you don't need to call me names. I can call you names back, it doesn't make me look any better.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Alan

Hey, you're the one who called me a loser for being pissed off by your idiotic statement of "literally nothing in the six thousand years of literature impresses me; am I just that superior to everyone else?"
real classy
Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
deathbycherries

Mostly just stuff I find at Borders. I dunno. What's wrong with being critical of books? I find a lot of mainstream books in stores very bland, and I won't pretend that I don't. It's not that I'm trying to be superior to the masses, but that I think I could write something that doesn't appeal to the watered down money-making agenda of publishing that I feel ruins good writing.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Alan

And yet you haven't heard of half the books I listed and you can only think of buying at Borders.
real classy
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbycherries View Post
Thanks InTheMoon.
uhhhhhhhh,>_>?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
deathbycherries

I guess nevermind then.