Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
HavelockV

Elderly Woman Beats Fawn To Death

http://news.aol.com/article/elderly-...ls-fawn/562459

Quote:
EUCLID, Ohio (July 8 ) - An Ohio woman who found a fawn in her flower garden has been accused of beating it to death with a shovel.

Dorothy Richardson, 75, was charged in a warrant with animal cruelty at her Euclid home near the Cleveland Metroparks Euclid Creek Reservation, a wooded park where deer, foxes and other wildlife roam.

Animal control officer Ann Mills requested the warrant. She said "everybody's very upset" about the fawn's June 15 death.

Richardson hasn't appeared in court. She told Cleveland's WKYC-TV she was afraid of the fawn and used a shovel to try to make it move. She said after it died she put it in a box and took it to the curb on trash day.

Euclid's cruelty to animals charge is punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.
The video included in the link above shows two different versions of what supposedly happened. The woman's neighbor alleges that she told him that she beat the fawn repeatedly with the shovel until it died and had intended to lay its corpse out by the woods to deter other deer from infringing on her property and ruining her garden.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Saya

I read this earlier today, only the article tried to make it the funny article of the day by titling it "Oh Deer!".

Its depressing, but things like this happen all the time, sometimes with little or no consequences, depending on the animal that was killed. If this was a rabbit I doubt many people would be upset, people do this all the time to rodents like rats and mice and wouldn't think twice about it. Here we do it to baby seals. I'm not saying that this is excusable, of course not, but I think its best to remember that this is certainly not an isolated incident and I bet a lot of people just see deer as giant rats.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Still Jack

And is Australia they shoot kangaroos, oh, the tragedy. Next...
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Needlefeet

I remember hearing some thing that if there were no hunters, deer would multiply so rapidly that they would over populate earth.
It sounds like crap to me but I'm just throwing it out there.

Roo meat is tasty by the way.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlefeet View Post
I was told it was generally a bit chewy.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Needlefeet

Eh, not always. A roo sandwich is damned tasty.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #7
HavelockV

After a good night's rest I have come to the conclusion that perhaps one-too-many viewings of Bambi as a child influenced my feelings on the matter. Ah well, moving along...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
After a good night's rest I have come to the conclusion that perhaps one-too-many viewings of Bambi as a child influenced my feelings on the matter. Ah well, moving along...
At least Bambi's mum was shot instead of being bludgeoned to death. And this was a baby.

Its just a weird reaction, because of the animal that is being killed. There's this story:

ttp://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/08/firefighter.kills.dogs/index.html

Where a man strung up his two dogs and shot them 11 times, then dumped them into a trash bin, all because he couldn't afford to put them in a kennel while he went on a cruise.

All of these animals were killed brutally and for no reason other than they were unwanted. Yet because of the perceived difference between companion animal and wildlife the reaction to one is "well deer are pests anyway and would run over the world if they could, roo meat tastes good btw". But I bet a lot more people feel really bad for the dogs. And not just dogs who were their companion animals, but people get outraged when a cat lets say goes into a yard and the owner of the yard kills it for trespassing. One views it as a pest and it gets a "funny" article and another its a heinous act and the whole community is outraged.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Wow. This is an example of what happens when one becomes senile.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Needlefeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Where a man strung up his two dogs and shot them 11 times, then dumped them into a trash bin, all because he couldn't afford to put them in a kennel while he went on a cruise.
Damn. That's harsh. Then again, so was the death of this creature.

Quote:
"well deer are pests anyway and would run over the world if they could, roo meat tastes good btw".
I didn't say they were pests. I just mentioned that there was some thing I read a while back saying deer were pests.
As for the kangaroo meat statement, Jack mentioned we shoot kangaroos and I was just saying they taste good.

Quote:
But I bet a lot more people feel really bad for the dogs. And not just dogs who were their companion animals, but people get outraged when a cat lets say goes into a yard and the owner of the yard kills it for trespassing.
This would probably be because these animals are the most common animals to have as pets (I'm assuming). More people would think what it'd be like for their poor little kitty or puppy to get shot for trespassing. How many people own deer?

All in all, I agree that this bashing was completely wrong.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
For which phylum does one draw the line? I mean, I verbally torture flies before I swat them without mercy. I tell them "Fly, you shall DIE!", then I smash them cruelly. I care not if they left behind thousands of children...well...maggots really, but hey, an orphan is an orphan!

But yeah, the visual of a defenseless fawn being beaten to death sounds painful and cruel.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
HavelockV

I admit I am not completely numb about this incident; does and fawns rather frequently romp around the fruit trees planted in our back yard and we hardly object to them picking off some apples here and there. I was simply uncertain as to whether or not this story merited its own thread since it was, dare I say it, 'just an animal'. However, I see now that it has merited some discussion and for that I am glad.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
For which phylum does one draw the line? I mean, I verbally torture flies before I swat them without mercy. I tell them "Fly, you shall DIE!", then I smash them cruelly. I care not if they left behind thousands of children...well...maggots really, but hey, an orphan is an orphan!
Most people see bugs as a genuine health threat (West Nile Virus, malaria, even allergies to the bites), not to mention the pain of their bites and how many people are afraid of bugs and spiders. Bugs are so alien from us in most respects, yet I remember in elementary school a kid in my class was caught torturing dragonflies by catching them and ripping off their wings, and our teacher gave the whole class a lecture on why we shouldn't do things like that. It seems that where we draw the line is not really whether we really believe the animal is mechanical but whether we believe we can gain something by its death, and the value of what we gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV
I admit I am not completely numb about this incident; does and fawns rather frequently romp around the fruit trees planted in our back yard and we hardly object to them picking off some apples here and there. I was simply uncertain as to whether or not this story merited its own thread since it was, dare I say it, 'just an animal'. However, I see now that it has merited some discussion and for that I am glad.
"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." That goes for humanity as well, its wise to remember that other animals live on this planet too and have to try to make the best in a world dominated by an overpopulated species that doesn't flinch at killing them because they are "just animals", why not give them a voice?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post

But yeah, the visual of a defenseless fawn being beaten to death sounds painful and cruel.
Sorry about that. 1000 mg of Vics again. I hate it when I post crap like that.
(sigh)

Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #15
Cicero

The only reason there's been any trouble with overpopulation of deer is because their natural predators (wolves, etc) were hunted to near-extinction.

And the article reminds me of a similar thing that happened up north with the beating and torture of kangaroos. Horrific stuff. Thankfully the boys who did it were caught and punished, but that doesn't take away the sickening fact that people capable of that sort of thing actually exist.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
viscus

When I saw the title of this post, I assumed the incident happened in Nara.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
Beneath the Shadows

I had a friend named Fawn. Some old bitch beat her to death with a shovel.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
zerademark

Quote:
"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." That goes for humanity as well, its wise to remember that other animals live on this planet too and have to try to make the best in a world dominated by an overpopulated species that doesn't flinch at killing them because they are "just animals", why not give them a voice?
I applaud you. Years I've been laughed and humilated for saying that an animal doesn't differ from a human and also should be respected.

Quote:
The only reason there's been any trouble with overpopulation of deer is because their natural predators (wolves, etc) were hunted to near-extinction.
Yes, but overpopulation is always compromised; something else will come up and bring back balance. Thats nature.

However nature did fail one time. And it caused the planet Earth suffering by a race of extremily sadistic and bloodthirsty beast called mankind. How many times did nature not try to bring our population back to balance? The Black Death, AIDS, Birdflu...nothing seems to work.
Quote:
I had a friend named Fawn. Some old bitch beat her to death with a shovel
This is a start.
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlefeet View Post
sticks to the roof oh my mouth.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #20
HumanePain

Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
Despanan

Dude, she's looks like a female Uncle Ruckus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #22
Pineapple_Juice

It sucks that any time someone shows sympathy for an animal 'round here they feel like they've got to excuse themselves for it.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

I hope this lady gets impaled by an infuriated stag...
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote