Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
a damn bitch in hell

Starting a Band, should it be Death Metal or Hard Rock

Iwould like to hear you're opions for Death Metal or Hard Rock, and if you would, help me come up with lyrics.
a damn bitch in hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
a damn bitch in hell

Sorry it' s in the Introductions section...sorry a little mistake I was snooping around the Introductions and hit new post forgetting it was in the Introductions, sorry again
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
WolfMoon

*Thread Moved*

I have no other advice than to play what you love and write what's in your heart.

Last edited by WolfMoon; 03-17-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Another random mispelling due to fairies!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
pitseleh

Depends on what you mean by those definitions.

In my opinion, unless you and your band are truly dedicated towards becoming really fucking good at playing, or already are - don't attempt to start a death metal band. I guarantee you, it will suck. Death metal is a very technically and physically demanding type of music to play. It's supposed to be heavy and evil as all hell, and let's face it - that's pretty hard to achieve if your drummer can't keep a steady blastbeat going for more than one minute, or your guitarist's wrist starts to hurt after a heavy chugging-session.

As for "hard rock", I will assume you mean something influenced by Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin, or some other rock mammoth from the 70's. Again, I would like to stress the level of instrumental and songwriting ability it takes to make this kind of music sound interesting. Not to mention fresh. Now, I like a bit (but not too much!) of Sab or Zep once in a while, but there's no denying that practically every single musty bar-band who has tried to emulate that sound since, has failed miserably. And we're not talking about a couple of shattered rock-star dreams either. It's probably more like five million or something.

You know, there's a reason punk happened in the glam/stadium/prog-rock over-saturated late 70's. It was people who couldn't necessarily play so well, but had all the more to actually say, who wanted to show the world that "hey, you don't have to have five-minute guitar solos, jazy chord progressions and lyrics about elves and shit to make a cool song."

In short, what I'm trying to say here is: Keep it simple. Be creative. Don't pose.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
+Neon Injection+

And please, for God's sake, write your own lyrics. If your starting a band for the "cool" factor, not to really express yourself..you have already failed.

But hey, that's just my opinion. What do I know?
+Neon Injection+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Shi'ark

Pitseleh is right on that one, take if from me after playing a zep song (except “Rock n roll, an easy song) I feel like my hand is going to drop off, so build your self up to the heavy stuff.

Marilyn mason is a good place to start. Nice and simple most of the time.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Neon Injection+
And please, for God's sake, write your own lyrics. If your starting a band for the "cool" factor, not to really express yourself..you have already failed.

But hey, that's just my opinion. What do I know?
When staring a band play song you already know , that you like, so you can get good at playing with each other. Then write your own stuff.
Don’t run before you can walk.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
pitseleh

Oh, I missed that...

Yeah, if you have to ask strangers for help to come up with lyrics, you obviously have no business starting a band.

BloodSnayk678: "uhhh...... i wanna haer a song aboot killing ur mom!! cuz shes a bitch and wont give u 50 dollers in allowence!!?wtf??"
Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Tavish

I would have to say..... DEATH METAL MAN!!!! just what I prefer of the two.... but lyrics.... I am more emo rock or indie, sorry bout dat man
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Well, I'd like a Death Metal rythm better, but I hate that they scream tehir lyrics. How about a more melodic metal like Leave's Eyes?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
a damn bitch in hell

''Hard Rock'' meaning like the kind of music HIM sings and some other artist, I can' t remember the name, by the way the bands going to be named "Evenescence"^_^.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
pitseleh

Oh, like the goth-pop band, only misspelled?

Clever... -_-
Old 03-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
a damn bitch in hell

No that's my band name,Evenescence.>_<
Old 03-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
pitseleh

Are those symbols supposed to mean you were annoyed by my statement? Hmm, so you really are that stupid.

Interesting... very interesting.

I would advise you to put this idea on the shelf until you can actually play, write your own lyrics and come up with an original band name. Otherwise, you might accidentally slash your wrist on a guitar string or poke your eye out with a drumstick. Wouldn't want that to happen, eh?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
Shi'ark

Here’s a band name that never happened.

Cosmic Blue and The Dark Roses’

… we were very drunk when we came up with that one.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #16
Wise Child

If you have to ask something as basic as what kind of band people think you should be, then are you actually in the place where you're ready to start the thing?

Also, I'm honestly not trying to be a cow, but if you have to ask others to help you come up with lyrics then you evidently don't have something to say. You're not starting it because you feel that you have potential musical talent, ready inside you, that needs the outlet of a band. In which case, it will probably be crap. Then no one will be interested in your music. Although... *drifts off for a second and remembers The Spice Girls* ...Ya, know what, kid, live the dream. There are a lotta tasteless people out there. What do I know? Maybe you'll get lucky.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #17
Shi'ark

if you have problems writing lyrics, just think of two things.

Sex,
And
Drugs.

How many rock songs are about that, there’s a thread there I think.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #18
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a damn bitch in hell
''Hard Rock'' meaning like the kind of music HIM sings and some other artist, I can' t remember the name, by the way the bands going to be named "Evenescence"^_^.
HIM is hard rock?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Geez, I always feel cheery when people like this post. You sure brightened my day sweet-pea.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
a damn bitch in hell

Uhhhhh....you' re welcome.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
a damn bitch in hell

Dude I haven't heard of them.Ijust though it up because we were looking for so I came up with that, and I'm not pretending Ihaven't heard of them, because I haven't.It's no big to rip the name off and stick a new one on.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #21
a damn bitch in hell

I don't live in IL I live in GA.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #22
a damn bitch in hell

I haven't heard of most of the bands, because my parents ban music like that from our house.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #23
a damn bitch in hell

Screw Town isn't a real place.still, I swear I haven't ever heard of them, though.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #24
a damn bitch in hell

My location is like yours, it's not real, unless you really are in the sink, but still.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #25
grimreaper993

Quote:
Originally Posted by a damn bitch in hell
I haven't heard of most of the bands, because my parents ban music like that from our house.
Oh just confess that your lying already. The more you build this up the worse and less believable it's gonna get.
grimreaper993 is offline   Reply With Quote