Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
retribution

Goth pants?

It seems pretty hard to find goth pants.
I usually wear tripps I get on clearance from hottopic, or skinny jeans.

But I don't like skinny jeans, because people often mistake me for emo.

EVERYONE I know wears tripps. So I don't like wearing them, because they feel unoriginal.

and anything on the internet labeled "goth" is atleast 70 dollars.
So I'm having a lot of trouble finding more goth pants.

Other than DIY, anyone have any idea where I can get some cool goth pants? Preferably not casual or anything, cause that bores me.

I don't mind shopping on the internet, as long as they have pants for less than 40 dollars, even if they're on clearence.

and what do you guys wear as far as pants?
retribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
blindNsect

Would you rather bemistaken as EMO or MALLGOTHDOUCHE?

Ditch teh Tripp pants, Get yourself some velvet , some leather, and some vinyl. If you can't work with that then GTFO the goth scene.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by retribution View Post
But I don't like skinny jeans, because people often mistake me for emo.
Who the fuck cares what they think?

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
ThenAgain

What Breathless Horror said but also apply it to everybody in this thread.
ThenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Breathless Horror

True say ^

Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
ape descendant

Wear a dress...

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindNsect View Post
Would you rather bemistaken as EMO or MALLGOTHDOUCHE?

Ditch teh Tripp pants, Get yourself some velvet , some leather, and some vinyl. If you can't work with that then GTFO the goth scene.
I never even said I was necessarily a goth. I think its a pretty sweet style, but I prefer not to dress according to any one style.
I'm also a juggalo, and almost all of my friends wear tripps. and I like tripps, they look pretty sweet.

I'm simply trying to find some alternative gothic looking pants, other than tripps and skinny jeans, as thats what everyone I know wears.
I'm trying to get some UFOs, but even they're expensive.

and I'm pretty sure I specifically said I didn't want to deal with DIY shit. I'm pretty sure I can't make anything that'll look decent.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror View Post
Who the fuck cares what they think?
I don't like being mixed in with the emo crowd. I used to dress kinda emo a while back, but decided against it. I still wear skinny jeans sometimes, but I try to get away from the image.

I don't have anything against skinny jeans, I think they look pretty sweet. But I'd prefer to wear other pants most of the time, to separate me from the emo crowd.

Does anyone actually know where I could get any goth pants?
Preferably anything baggy. Doesn't need chains, UFOs are cool.
Cyber goth pants are sweet too. Although I wouldn't say I like the cyber goth image entirely, but they got them some sweet pants.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
Cosmicgaunt

Wear girls pants.
Dark petalled sensitive plants scuttle over carpets.
Black statuettes animate square heads firestokers.
Skewer me in flame.
~Nightgaunts
Cosmicgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Breathless Horror

Dude, if you really wanna be unimaginative, google images "goth pants". You're not likely to find anything cheap though, as their main market is the mallgoths, who as suggested by the name, are rich suburban kids who can afford to spend $130 of mommy and daddy's money on a pair of low-as-fuck-quality pants,

As for DIY being difficult, well that's not neccassarily true. Studs are a breeze to put in, sewing on patches is dead simple too. Play with bleach. Even if it doesn't look like some design genius made it, it'll still be 100% unique, and a thousand times cheaper. My favorite shorts took maybe an hour of work. All I did was splash bleach on them, add some small studs around the pockets, throw on maybe 3 patches and boom, looks good.

As for girl pants...they don't always leave enough room for certain hardware differences XD

Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
KissMeDeadly

There's nothing wrong with tripps. I can't stand the hatred they get. It's like they're hated for the simple fact that Hot Topic sells them. I own several pairs, but I didn't buy them from HT, I got them from thrift stores and the like. I like the cut, I like the feel. They're very comfortable and I wear them for years. They're a little cheaply made, but with any basic amount of sewing skills you should be able to make them last a life time.

That being said, I get what you say about feeling unorignal. I get the same thing, and I also get the 'gothier than thou' douches who rag on me for wearing them. Fuck those guys, if it's comfortable, and you like them, wear them.

You could also do what I do with tripps, mod mod mod!! I took my first pair of tripps I bought for 3 dollars at the Salvation Army, ditched pretty much everything on them I didn't like (all the chains, and neon-blue straps and whatnot) and put on some things of my own. I bought one that didn't even have a crotch and made a leather codpiece of sorts for it. It's fun.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror View Post
Dude, if you really wanna be unimaginative, google images "goth pants". You're not likely to find anything cheap though, as their main market is the mallgoths, who as suggested by the name, are rich suburban kids who can afford to spend $130 of mommy and daddy's money on a pair of low-as-fuck-quality pants,

As for DIY being difficult, well that's not neccassarily true. Studs are a breeze to put in, sewing on patches is dead simple too. Play with bleach. Even if it doesn't look like some design genius made it, it'll still be 100% unique, and a thousand times cheaper. My favorite shorts took maybe an hour of work. All I did was splash bleach on them, add some small studs around the pockets, throw on maybe 3 patches and boom, looks good.

As for girl pants...they don't always leave enough room for certain hardware differences XD
You, my good sir have convinced me. That sounds pretty fucking sweet. xD
By DIY I assumed people sewed fabric together to make strange shaped pants or something.
I'd prolly start with normal shorts and add to them.

I haven't been to a thrift store in a while. How likely is it they'll have something baggy and in a heavy material?

Also, other than by hacking up old clothes, where could I get thick fabric that would work nice as patches? and where could I find studs?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
There's nothing wrong with tripps. I can't stand the hatred they get. It's like they're hated for the simple fact that Hot Topic sells them. I own several pairs, but I didn't buy them from HT, I got them from thrift stores and the like. I like the cut, I like the feel. They're very comfortable and I wear them for years. They're a little cheaply made, but with any basic amount of sewing skills you should be able to make them last a life time.

That being said, I get what you say about feeling unorignal. I get the same thing, and I also get the 'gothier than thou' douches who rag on me for wearing them. Fuck those guys, if it's comfortable, and you like them, wear them.

You could also do what I do with tripps, mod mod mod!! I took my first pair of tripps I bought for 3 dollars at the Salvation Army, ditched pretty much everything on them I didn't like (all the chains, and neon-blue straps and whatnot) and put on some things of my own. I bought one that didn't even have a crotch and made a leather codpiece of sorts for it. It's fun.
I usually get them on clearance at hottopic, never for more than 30.

If anything rips safety pin the fuck out of it.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
blindNsect

Quote:
I'm also a juggalo, and almost all of my friends wear tripps. and I like tripps, they look pretty sweet.
This is where I stopped reading.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
ape descendant

For fabric try a ... fabric store. DIY is totally the way to go. You'd not believe what you could accomplish with some thread, some fabric and a sewing machine.

If you're a little worried about taking on designing your own clothes right off the bat, there are plenty of patterns out there, that are actually pretty cool, that you can use and learn to work with... and if you have the pattern you can make as many of whatever it is as you like.

Of course, I can totally understand not wanting your Juggalo friends to make fun of you for knowing how to sew.. Oh the embarrassment. *rolls eyes*

Be Kind
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
For fabric try a ... fabric store. DIY is totally the way to go. You'd not believe what you could accomplish with some thread, some fabric and a sewing machine.

If you're a little worried about taking on designing your own clothes right off the bat, there are plenty of patterns out there, that are actually pretty cool, that you can use and learn to work with... and if you have the pattern you can make as many of whatever it is as you like.

Of course, I can totally understand not wanting your Juggalo friends to make fun of you for knowing how to sew.. Oh the embarrassment. *rolls eyes*
I was gunna edit that post to take out the part about finding fabric and studs. haha
But it wouldn't let me.

And I already planned out what I'mma do.

I'm going to the thrift store this weekend to look for some baggy shorts that are of a pretty cool thick material.

Then I'm gunna cover them with rubberbands, and wash them in the washing machine with a bunch of dye. I've done it with shirts before. It makes them come out all that color, but with a bunch of strange rings and such all over.

Then I'm gunna splash bleach on it, and then sow black and white patches all over.
I'm aiming to start with white pants, and then dye them blue, minus the rings and bleach.

and I'd prefer if we didn't stereotype juggalos.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Tam Li Hua

Plain black slacks or jeans = best "goth" pants ever. Seriously. Especially if you have an office job.

Every time I see Tripp pants, I just have to giggle a little. They are just so outrageously ugly, and simply scream "I'M ALTERNATIVE!!! HAY GUYZ, I R GOTH/SCENE/EMO/ETC!!!! HOT TOPIC IS THE KEWLEST STORE EVAR!!!1"
Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
retribution

I don't know, man. I usually wear jeans or such, but that gets pretty boring.

Trying to get more goth pants, for when I'm with friends. and it's not like I don't have jeans to wear to places where I might not want to stand out.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
ape descendant

Quote:
I was gunna edit that post to take out the part about finding fabric and studs. haha
But it wouldn't let me.

I'm going to the thrift store this weekend to look for some baggy shorts that are of a pretty cool thick material.

Then I'm gunna cover them with rubberbands, and wash them in the washing machine with a bunch of dye. I've done it with shirts before. It makes them come out all that color, but with a bunch of strange rings and such all over.

Then I'm gunna splash bleach on it, and then sow black and white patches all over.
I'm aiming to start with white pants, and then dye them blue, minus the rings and bleach.

Who's stereotyping? I'm not gunna

Be Kind
Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
retribution

Anyway.
Think the pants mentioned above sound like they'd come out good?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post

Every time I see Tripp pants, I just have to giggle a little. They are just so outrageously ugly, and simply scream "I'M ALTERNATIVE!!! HAY GUYZ, I R GOTH/SCENE/EMO/ETC!!!! HOT TOPIC IS THE KEWLEST STORE EVAR!!!1"
To be fair Tripp does make more than just baggy bondage pants (though I believe those are the ones that the OP was referring to), my purple skinnies happen to be made by Tripp and I love those fucker to bits.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
retribution

I think tripp as a brand is kinda low quality, and I prefer other brands to be more original.
But I do like their "tripps"
Not necessarily the quality, but the appearance.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #23
Alan

That's like saying "I don't like vampires but I do like Twilight"
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
I don't know, man. I usually wear jeans or such, but that gets pretty boring.
That's why you customize them with patches and customized rips and zippers and such.

Plus, if you're going for more of a Victorian-goth look, plain slacks are perfect, since most of the customization is all on the upper-body clothes more than lower body.

But, to each his/her own. Good luck! ^_^
Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
Breathless Horror

Quote:
But it wouldn't let me.

Sounds cool man, and really, wether or not I think it'll look cool is irrelevent, so long as you enjoy them. It will, after all, be your creation. DIY is art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so as long as you like 'em, s'all good

For patches, black denim or canvas work really well, so you could cut up an old pair of jeans, or a jacket. Personally, when I cut off a pair of jeans into shorts, I kept the end of the legs to make patches out of.

Studs can be found at www.studsandspikes.com I got 1000 1" studs for $60 (shipping to canada is a little pricey), and still have 2/3rds of the bag. A worthy investment if I do say so myself.

As for thrift store contents, it depends on the day/week really. If you need a little extra bag then just get something a size or two bigger and wear a belt.

Happy hunting, and good luck with your projects man.