Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Pineapple_Juice

Hair stylists and their plans

So I'm in desperate need of a cut and a color. I made an appointment for tomorrow, and I originally wanted a flat dark red on the top and black on the bottom, with my usual blonde chunks on the sides. This guy has way different plans. He wants to throw highlights and lowlights and all that other shit in my hair and then under put a dark brown. I know he's a hair stylist and he knows what he's doing, and I've been there before and it looked alright, but I don't want to spend 125 bucks on hair that makes me look boring.

Should I let him do his thing? Yea or nay? And why?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Saya

I don't know what you look like so I don't know which would suit you better, but if you don't want to cough up 125 dollars to look, as you say, boring, then don't. Its a lot of money, better be sure you're going to think its worth it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
korinna5555

Consult Kontan. HE'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO! XD
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Pineapple_Juice

It's not about what I look like personally, I'm just worried he's going to make me look...what's the word?
You know. Normal.

PS why would Kontan know?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Saya

Just tell him that you have a certain aesthetic and you want to stand out. A reason that he wants to do it his way is maybe he just doesn't find the look appealing himself, more than it doesn't suit you. I don't get my hair coloured by stylists but I have had to deal with stylists cutting my hair the way they want rather than what I want, and being unhappy with the results, even if it may have looked better than what I wanted. When I recently chopped my hair off it was the very first time I showed a stylist a photo of a cut and she gave me the exact same cut, and while it may not be the best hair cut I ever had it certainly is my favourite because of that.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Cicero

Even if he 'knows what he's doing', if he's deciding to give you a hairstyle you're not totally keen on he's not being a good stylist.

I wouldn't do it if I were you. Either discuss a style you're more comfortable with (since hey, it could turn out fantastic from a professional), or get it done by someone else. Expensive hair regrets really suck.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

Correct. The cut I'm not so worried about. So long as my bangs look the way I want them to I don't care too much about the rest, I just don't feel like spending 50 bucks on color when I'd be more satisfied doing it myself.

Hmmm...the dilemmas....
Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
isobel black

I'd never colour my hair at the hairdresser's, the few times I did do that I was sorely dissapointed with the result, and felt ripped off even more because of that.

I'd get the dye myself and ask a friend to do it.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I just don't feel like spending 50 bucks on color when I'd be more satisfied doing it myself.
Then don't, part of his job is to make sure that you get what you want.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
honeythorn

Go to a different hairdresser or better yet, try and do it yourself or with someone you trust not to fuck it up.

I haven't had my hair cut by a hairdresser since I was 10 years old. Why? She quite literally cut my hair in such a way that I ended up looking like a transvestite child with a weird boyish, yet slightly longish short hairdo. I looked fucking ridiculous and the lads who were bullying me were DELIGHTED to see this shitty hairdo. More ammo for them, more misery for me what fun.

Can you smell the bitterness yet?

Hairdressers NEVER listen. You say take an inch off to trim the dead ends, and they chop off half your hair because they think it might look nice. But was that what you asked for? NO.

This stylist of yours sounds like my worst nighmare. You've asked for one thing and he's decided you should have what HE wants to do. He's clearly angling to use you for a guinea pig. Don't let him. If you are paying to have your hair a certain way, then they should do it that way. If he's trying to foist his mundane hair ideas on you then think about going elsewhere.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Pineapple_Juice

Oh god you guys. I checked this thread after I went, otherwise I'd have changed my mind. He turned my hair orange and cut it short. When I asked for layers, he gave them to me on top of my head so it's like I'm wearing this beanie/wooly hat with some flat hair on the sides of my head. My face is already long enough-this is horrible.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Saya

Awww *pat pat* we've all been there. Actually minus the orange I think I had that cut before too. I'd come over with some Rice Dream ice cream (for comfort) and a box of hair dye and try to fix it for you if I could!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
Pineapple_Juice

Very sweet of you. I just went out and bought a huge bag of chile and lime Sabritones to soften the misery that is me. I'm more upset with the cut than the color, but shite.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #14
honeythorn

Frankly I'd go and complain. If he's employed by a salon speak to the owner/manager, and state that you wanted a specific style, went in to pay for that style and was completely overidden by this twat who refused to listen to your request and went apeshit with a pair of scissors and a bottle of dye because he fancied experimenting .

At the end of the day you have not been given what you asked for, or what you wanted to spend money on. And now you have to live with a hairstyle you do not like until it either grows out or you can get someone to fix it.

At the very least you should be offered a refund so you can go and get it fixed elsewhere.

This is why I won't let a hairdresser near me. They. Do.Not.Listen. I trim my own ends and cut my own fringe. It works for me though, because I have one of those faces/heads that just cannot carry off any sort of noticeable hairstyle/cut other than what I have, and hats do not suit me.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
Solumina

A good stylist is hard to come by, thankfully I seem to have found one that is capable of listening to me and coming up with interesting ideas when I want to change my look, too bad she isn't exactly cheap.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
KontanKarite

Holy.... God... Damned... Shit.

Are you guys serious? What's wrong with these stylists?

Here's how I would have handled it.

Pineapple, it's great to see you today. What would you like?

Oh, you'd like some layers? You'd like those colors in those places? Very good. I'll see what I can do for you. This is going to be fun. Your hair may pull some brass or red tones when we bleach your sides, so I'm going to tone those out with a bit of purple to make it look more pale blond. As for the other colors, this will be a piece of cake.

Pineapple, you're paying these stylists for their time and for yours. It's about YOU and what you want. My philosophy to hairstyling is that if the customer likes what they see, they're going to feel good about themselves. I don't care how bad I think it'll look. Confidence is the best form of style and fashion. If a customer comes to me and feels confident about their looks, they'll carry themselves in a positive way. A stylist's job is to make you feel and look beautiful in accordance to your aesthetic.

Sorry you had to deal with that, Pineapple. If you were around, I'd fix it up for you as best I could. Better luck next time.

Remember, if a stylist isn't listening to what you want or can't understand what it is that you want, then you need to suggest a second opinion or find another stylist.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Serren

I'm sorry Pineapple I hate it when that happens, I had my hair cut once and as my hair is quite naturally curly the hair dresser didn't take into account how much it springs up when its cut. I wanted it just above my shoulders and layered but I ended up with a really short cut due to the springiness.

Can you go back and ask for a recolour/cut?

I have let hairdressers do their own thing in the past with my hair when I've been undecided as to exactly what I want, I tend to try and set limits with them with the length ect.

I find telling them that I am growing my hair and don't want that much off can help to stop them getting to scissor happy.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
korinna5555

Every time I let a stylist NEAR my hair, they mess it up. Once, I went in for a trim (and I SPECIFIED.. only about an inch) and had about seven inches hacked off.
They also try to "sell me" on five bagillion products and a cut that takes a lot of effort to maintain.. thanks, I'm fine with just washing, conditioning, and air-drying. A lot of salon products have dimethicone (or some other -cone) in them, anyway.. I'm 'cone-free, and my hair stays happy. xD

At the moment, I'm torn between keeping my hair at hip-length, or chopping another 15" off..
Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
Catch

... so you knew they were a jerk and still gave them the money. Are you going to demand a refund? Also tell everyone who it is so they don't suffer the same fate.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Pineapple_Juice

Thanks guys. It'll grow out eventually I guess, and I can always redye it. It was a big fat waste of so much cash though. Kontan, d'you know? Since my hair is streaked bright highlighter orange, if I were to dye it all a straight color, it'd come out funky wouldn't it?

PS, I did tell him I was growing it out, several times. He said he had to cut off the parts that were dead, apparently meaning four or five inches was apparently fried. This is not possible.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #21
honeythorn

Pineapple, GO AND COMPLAIN. Don't just wait for it to grow out. You've spent money and you were not given what you specifically asked for. You deserve an apology if nothing else, and they should give you a refund out of courtesy to go and get it fixed or dyed properly.

You did not request highlighter orange hair, nor did you ask for that amount to be chopped off whatever it's condition. He's gone off into his own little fantasy land, disregarded your request and given you something you neither want nor like.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Thanks guys. It'll grow out eventually I guess, and I can always redye it. It was a big fat waste of so much cash though. Kontan, d'you know? Since my hair is streaked bright highlighter orange, if I were to dye it all a straight color, it'd come out funky wouldn't it?

PS, I did tell him I was growing it out, several times. He said he had to cut off the parts that were dead, apparently meaning four or five inches was apparently fried. This is not possible.
That depends on the color. It also depends on it being box color or professional color.

What were you going for? I CAN help a little bit if I was to see a picture of it and you tell me exactly what you want. I may be able to give you step by step instructions on how to fix it or at least give you a better understanding of what's going on with your hair.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
Pineapple_Juice

Sounds like a plan, Stan. I only have one picture and my camera's on the fritz so I don't know if you can see it well, but the color is accurate. I'll PM you.