Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Pyre

Question Lipstick

I will be dying my hair red soon and wanted to try a red lipstick that will complement the look. However, I am utterly inexperienced with lipstick and therefore don't know what shade/brand to aim for. I think a bright red would look too tacky on me, but I think a darker red might look peculiar. I was looking at Manic Panic's blood red lipstick, and it's gotten very good ratings, but I don't know if the color would suit me. Any ideas/tips? Pictures representing any shades/brands you may use would also be helpful, if you have them.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Solumina

What kind of red are you dying your hair?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Pyre

Henna red. Whatever the hell that will be since it varies depending on how I apply it. Probably more of a deep/darker red.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Solumina

You should be fine with a true red, it shouldn't compete with your hair at all.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Becca_Lugosi

Careful not to be too red.
Or maybe it's just me that can't pull off red hair and lipstick :[

Maybe a lip stain to start with?
Revlon's Just Bitten is quite nice.
Becca_Lugosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Lakita in the House!

why does y'all want to die your hair red and look like a clown?
Lakita in the House! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Unimatrix 00

Make sure also to get one that compliments your skin tone. If you've a warm skintone, try to get a warm red, or if you've a cool skintone, try to get a nice clean red with blue undertones.

MAC do the best lipsticks ever! Try to get a matte or satin formula lipstick, as they stay on the longest. You can always put a gloss over them if you want.

And Lakita baby, some people just like different colour hairs! I personally think it looks really nice. hehe

x x x
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Pineapple_Juice

Man, I wish I was one of those people who could pull off red lipstick. Any sort of makeup in excess makes me look like a tranny.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Unimatrix 00

Tranny is good Pineapple_Juice! I love the heavily made up look. I personally stick to a nude neutral lip though, and focus on the eyes. I use black eyeliner and smoked out grey and black eyeshadows.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Pineapple_Juice

Tranny is not good! Heavily made up is, tranny is not.
I'm all for the fake look but looking like a dude who's trying to look like a chick-not so much.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Pyre

Sometimes it's a look that takes being adjusted to. As I have never really used lipstick before except on a very rare occasion, I am unfamiliar with what looks best on me.

As for the MAC makeup, that stuff is hella expensive. I am not willing to pay $14 + s&h on some lipstick. Seems too much, even if it's good quality. At this point I don't know if red is for me, so I will probably start off cheap and work my way up.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Pineapple_Juice

Yeah, I've entertained that idea as well, but it could also be that I have weird lips. Anyway, MAC is alright for people who already know what they're doing but I agree that you should start off with cheaper brands. You could also try Urban Decay for the more expensive stuff, they're good as well (and vegan).
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Shadows_Jukebox

Try a burgandy, or wine colored lipstick it off sets the bright henna alot better than red-red lipstick. I have alot of experiance with this haha and trust me red with red is never good, so go for something slightly off red and its much better ^^
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Pyre

Agreed. After looking at photos on Google images, red hair + red lipstick is kind of odd. The only figure that pulls it off well is Jessica Rabbit, and being a cartoon character, that doesn't aid me. The only time red lipstick looks good on redheads is when the hair color is a bright unnatural red rather than a natural red, which is how the Henna looks.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
Shadows_Jukebox

yeah hahaha, I once tried doing the whole Jessica Rabbit look with long red hair and red lipstick... didn't take me too long to realise how stupid I looked, so what color lipstick have you settled for?
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Pyre

None yet. My hair will eventually fade, so it will be difficult finding a lipstick to complement it. I may stick with something subtle despite liking a dramatic look to enhance my pallor. A darker red may be acceptable, but I might stick to a shade of neutral pink instead.