Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
SituationNoir

Location: Port Macquarie: The happiest place on earth. [If you've never been anywhere else] Australia.
Hello.

Hello. My name is Mary, I'm 18 and....thats about it.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I go to school. I'm one of those smart people who chose to do their last year, over two years and spend an extra 12 months feeling like I'm being involuntarily sodamised, whilst boring middle aged catholics try to help me on my path to enlightenment. The catholic education system: never better.

I have a job, which fills most of the spare time I have away from school. I work in a bookstore, something which brings me great joy. I use to work at Macdonalds [the shame], but I quit after a year of my manager's nasal twang and bad grammer, finally caused me to crack.

Other than that I enjoy theatre, both participating in and watching. I write here and there but only if I'm in the right sort of mood. I have lots of scraps of things around the house and alot of half page word documents that don't seem to go anywhere. It all seems to be leading somewhere, as to where, I'm not really certain. I spend alot of my time reading [go figure] and I blow alot of my pay on books, but I have a rather lovely staff discount, so I don't feel quite so guilty. I adore gothic literature, the early victorian sort NOT some of the cheap, trashy ripoffs that appear today. I want to study lit at university, which will be my one saving grace in the future. I like in a small town. On the coast and when I say small, I refer somewhat to the size but mostly to the people. The community are particularly narrow minded, So I'm quite looking forward to the day I leave town.

The only other thing that keeps me busy is dance. Yes. I do ballroom dance, mostly the classic dances [I do a mean waltz] but I dabble in latin [ok...a bit more than dabble, but its not my preference...except maybe paso...]. I've studied dance for a few years now, I enjoy learning and teaching. I've been looking alot into historical dances from all sorts of cultures and periods, which keeps me very entertained. I'm blessed with a very flexible dance partner who puts up with all my random schemes, as odd and awkward as they can sometimes be.

2. Where are you from?

As I mentioned earlier, a small town. On the coast. In Australia.

3. Who is your favorite author?

I couldn't possibly pick one. I read alot. A few random facts though:
- At the moment I'm reading Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls for the godknowshowmanyth time.
- I'm playing Emily Bronte for my major Drama assessment.
- Mr Dracy is ok [When played by Colin Firth] But Heathcliff makes my knees go weak.
- I like books about vampires, but not Ann Rice novels.
- I'm a sucker for victorian romances. [THE SHAME! THE SHAME!]
- I'm in charge of the humanities section at work and enjoy reading about politics etc.
- I like picture books.
- I collect little golden books. [....:P]
- 'Where the Wild things Are' is one of the best books in the world.
- I don't like damsels. Romeo and Juliet annoyed me.
- William Shakespeare is a god.
- Germaine Greer is a hypocrite.

4. What are your favorite films?

Cult movies. I have been sitting up until the wee small hours of the morning watching cult zombie movies on sbs recently.
I like black and white films, any of the early movies really. Silent films are good.
Foreign film is good aswell [except Amelie....that got old Verrrry quickly].
I live for Rocky Horror and Shock Treatment.
Other than that...
- The Virgin Suicides
- Chocolat
- Dune
- The Maltese Falcon
- Casablanca
- Citizen Kane
- Vanity Fair
- Dirty Dancing
- Strictly Ballroom
- Love Actually
- Dead and Breakfast
- To Kill a mockingbird
- La Dolce Vita
- Wuthering Heights
- The Big Combo
- Pretty in Pink
- The breakfast club
- Dracula 2000
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Die Hard 1,2&3
- Pulp Fiction
There are many, many more.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Erm...Spinsterhood has been looking like a pretty good option as of late. [Remember, I live in a small...town.]

Ok, 'Starlight' from Muse is playing at the moment, so Yes. That. O.o

I really don't know.

6. At your funeral?

Arghhh....why are you asking me these questions? I haven't thought this far ahead. I wouldn't get my own way about this sort of thing anyway.

*snicker* Still listening to Muse. 'Knights of Cydonia.'

'No-ones gonna take me alive....'

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Spontaneous Combustion.

Seriously.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Egh.
A wooden one? I doubt I'd really give a damn at that stage.
I'd already be a pile of ashes.
Ha. Save on cremation costs.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Ooooooo...
I have a tuxedo. I like my tuxedo. And my top hat. I must admit I like my suspenders aswell. I dress...a bit like a guy. I like shirts and trousers and boots and hats and things. If I dress feminine I prefer a victorian/romantic period style...I like bustle skirts and ankle boots and lace gloves. I have a parasol! It took a while but I got one. Thank god. I also like my docs, which I got for $2.50 from an op shop. [HELL YES!].

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Being able to pick my nose in peace.
And cartoons.
Like the smurfs.
2008=THE SMURFS MOVIE!!

11. What's your favorite band?

At the moment I like Muse. Alot.
But I'm partial to all styles of music. I dont favour specifics bands over others that much, simply because sometimes bands have their ups and sometimes their downs. One song can be great, the rest of the album can suck.
Other than that....The early stuff by the Manic Street Preachers keeps me sane.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

Vell, without going into too much detail about the Australian education system, I'm doing my last year of school in two parts. My mother got sick a while ago, so it was necessary, and I have another year of that year to go. When I'm done I want to do a bachelor of arts and major in english literature and theatre studies.

13. Why did you join?

I saw website listed in a book!

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

I hope the first 13 questions gave it away...O.o
SituationNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

Let's be evil partners.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
the-broken-harlequin

Welcome, you look cool enough.
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Undead_Stagehand

Welcome. Your intro is the best-written one I've read in a while. In what book was this site listed?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
SituationNoir

Location: Port Macquarie: The happiest place on earth. [If you've never been anywhere else] Australia.
It was mentioned in a book called the Goth Bible, by Nancy Kilpatrick.
Interesting indeed.
I enjoy reading other people's perceptions about things. All sorts of things.

Cool? Why thankyou!

An evil partnership sounds most acceptable.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
Vic

Early Manic's is superb >.<

The Generation Terrorists album is one of my best loved!

I'm not sure I'm in any position to do so but, welcome!
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Don't worry saying welcome to newcommers is ok for anyone to do. Especialy for a newcomer such as this. Welcome

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
delicti

Welcome aboard. It's good to see a thorough, thought out survey, and someone with a fully developed personality.

If you're looking for better literature of goth, I highly recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Hex-Files-Bibl...8313685&sr=8-7
http://www.amazon.com/Goth-Identity-...8313685&sr=8-7

I think you'll find that Kilpatrick's "Goth Bible" is a collection of unqualified opinions. The other two are far more useful.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
Vyvian Blackthorne

Greetings and Welcome to Gnet, nice avatar.

Oh and Deli, I strongly disagree with your statment. That's my favourite nonfiction book, in fact, and that is how I discovered this site as well.

There's always a mind open.

Hmhh..

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne

Oh and Deli, I strongly disagree with your statment. That's my favourite nonfiction book, in fact, and that is how I discovered this site as well.
Sorry Vyv, I just don't like that book too much. It seems kind of coffee table-ish. I suppose it can't be that bad a start; I just think there's better resources out there.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Greetings and Welcome to Gnet, nice avatar.

There's always a mind open.

Hmhh..

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Not having read the book, and since research is my field, I just have a few questions - does she talk about how she recruited her sample, and what the exclusionary criteria were? Does she publish the list of questions they were asked?

Having been on gothy forums on the internet for some time now, I am keenly aware of how unreliable much of the information out there is. Just think of how many introductions we get here a week from "goth teenagers" who love Evanescence and Manson. So, I think recruitment and screening are important topics here.

Also, Mick Mercer's review of the book says that it's coverage of music is rather skint. This always irritates me because goth is a music subculture - without the bands we wouldn't have the fashion in the first place, so everything owes it to the music, and to not make that clear does a grave disservice (no pun intended).
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 AM   #12
SituationNoir

....Wow.

Ok then. Well, I found no real issues with the book. I've been through hex files and I liked that aswell. I get books on a variety of different topics and it was one that happened to be recomended to me. The chapter on the history of the term 'goth' and the history of the people, was fascinating and accurate. I can agree wholeheartedly that it may be a little coffee table-ish, but I don't see it as a bad thing. It was enjoyable, I liked it. I read alot of non-fiction and it was intruiging to see other people's points of view.

I wouldn't exactly call those opinions, however, unqualified, considering the amount of input put in by so many people from so many corners of the globe.

As for the coverage of music, I would have grave concerns if it's coverage of music went overboard. The fact that it focuses on the style of music itself and not so much on certain bands [though there is focus on certain bands/performers aswell] means that it remains somewhat relevant as times, tastes and music, changes.

I by no means declare it the best book I've read, but it was interesting, I didn't throw it across the room or grow bored of it within minutes of scanning the first page, so I have no complaints.

Thankyou for all your kind welcomes.

And....MANICS ROCK! :P
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #13
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SituationNoir
[font=Book Antiqua]
I wouldn't exactly call those opinions, however, unqualified, considering the amount of input put in by so many people from so many corners of the globe.
Not to jump on your back, but anyone can be a loser anywhere. I just find it disturbing that, the book only establishes three criteria: these are opinions given, and that the people giving them are goths, and they are on the internet. Clearly #1 and #3 are not easy to question, but #2, whether they are goths or not, seems murky at best.

It begs the question as to whether the author is qualified to determine what is a goth or not. There may be hints of truth hidden in the book, but I get the feeling what truths there are, are in the book entirely by accident.

I could ask 95 different people in the New England club scene, in the live band scene, and in the mall what they think goth is, and there would be entirely different answers that were vaguely predictable for each sampling. I think she would have been better suited finding 50 quality opinions about what goth is, and published that. Otherwise, what the book establishes is that if you think you're goth and have an ISP, this is what goth is (and even then we could question the size of her sample). That's not particularly palatable for my tastes.

Although I should say, that is my opinions on the book and not you. I think you'll like it here quite a bit, and I look forward to your contributions.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 AM   #14
SituationNoir

Ok!
Thanking you kindly.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
biohazard

Welcome to g-net! Thank you for introducing yourself in a well-detailed manner.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 AM   #16
Uncle Smoov

I don't think a discussion, or better yet, mention, of William Shakespeare is appropriate for a site of this nature, due to a quote found in some of his extremist literature:

"Give us the proudest prisoner of the Goths,
That we may hew his limbs, and on a pile
Ad manes fratrum sacrifice his flesh."

Genuinely chilling. Thank Christ he's dead.
Uncle Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:07 AM   #17
SituationNoir

Mmmm...Titus Andronicus...

...all you eastern european Gutans, get your hands up...