Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
Deadmanwalking_05

Pot Legalization

I think the U.S. should take it off the list,because Weed hasn't killed anyone,it doesn't cause anymore of a health risk than smoking tobacco,it's better than drinking your liver away,and you don't wake up with a head splitting,stomach churning hangover.

Anyone else want to throw in?
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
MitsyMayhem

For starters, it was banned under the bases of the fact that it made men of minority, **** white women.
Which is stupid, but it was during the 30's.
I don't see the point of legalizing it though.
I mean, you're careful right?
You do it anyway right?
Then why does it matter?
Even I can find a pot dealer at 5 am in the morning.

I've never done it, and only know historical facts even though I have friends who are into pot, harder drugs and even mix their own.
So I can put forth a definite opinion for either side.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
DementiaNocturne

I say if it does manage to get legalized and taxed (you know it'd have to), I just ask it be done only in certain areas where it's posted, so that those that are allergic can avert themselves.

(hint hint: i'm allergic. -_-'')
DementiaNocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
x-deviant-x

wouldn't legalizing it regulate it, allowing the government to charge what they want for it?
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Deadmanwalking_05

But if it were Legalized people could grow there own for personal use and not have to worry about being hasseled for a "Crime" by the authorities.

The "Illegal" Drug trafficers wouldn't be funded by it,and would lose money and funding,because Mary Jane is the most purchased of the "Illegal" drugs. Set the same age limit as we have in place for spirits.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #6
JCC

Pot is infinitely safer and cheaper than alcohol and should definitely be legalised along with every drug and then regulated and priced by governmental bodies who would sell them at places like pharmacies in restricted amounts. The criminalisation of them merely stunts any sort of scientific breakthroughs in our knowledge of them and leaves the curious amongst us who decide to take drugs woefully exposed.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
x-deviant-x

I don't think all drugs should be legalized. I agree with marijuana being legal, and possibly a few others, but not all.
weed would probably fall under similar laws as tobacco though, with the age restrictions of alcohol. The fact that it's cheap to produce doesn't mean it would be priced as such.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Deadmanwalking_05

True but it defantly has medical uses,not just for cancer,but for PTSD.

I guess the reason I was able to cope with my problems was because of two factors.

I wouldn't be on this Earth without Weed and my ex-gf.

I guess that's why it hurt so much when Erica left me,she helped me more than she could have known.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

I'm with JCC. Even if the drugs are harmful, if people aren't smart enough to figure out that they shouldn't do things that could kill them, I say we shouldn't impede natural selection.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Splintered

Joker_In_The_Pack, what's natural selection got to do with this?

Anyway, you can go ahead and legalize pot. However, treat it like every other intoxicant. If you do something while intoxicated, you're just as responsible, if not more, for your actions.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Joker_in_the_Pack

My point is that stupid people who take a lot of drugs like crystal meth aren't smart enough to realize they are killing themselves. So if they just want to kill themselves, let them, natural selection.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #12
Splintered

Natural selection has to deal with us and our competitors. Man has no natural competitors, so stupidity isn't really "punished". Watch the first few minutes of the movie "Idiocracy", and you'll see a hilarious example of what I'm talking about.

Stupidity can't correct itself. However, I do agree that if people want to fuck themselves up, it's their choice. I don't agree that they aren't intelligent enough to realize they're killing themselves though: They may perfectly well realize they are killing themselves and not care, just like smokers do so when smoking tobacco.

Edit: If I'm being nitpicky, 'tis because I've heard natural selection used wrong so many times. I.E. "See, monkeys can jump higher then we can, so why doesn't natural selection kill us off?". I'm not saying you're that wrong, I just think it's kinda funny.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Now it's my turn to be nit-picky.
It's a pet peeve of mine to see the usage of i.e. and e.g. being misunderstood.
I.E. means id est, which is saying "which is saying." Now I'm playing with words, so to make it simple, i.e. is used to say "in other words"
E.G. means exempli grata, which is simply "for example."

E.G. is used when you're about to mention some examples. I.E. is used to reiterate what you were saying.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
Splintered

Thanks for the clarification.

(I'm not sure if you were trying to offend me with that or not.)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

Not really, I've just seen that mistake made several times lately, so I decided to call on that this time.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #16
Splintered

Ah, cool.

Anyway, back on topic. I had a thought today:

If pot is legalized, will the price go up or down for it?

On one hand, with less restrictions on growing marijuana, the price can drop because of the lower cost to create it. On the other hand, with corporations in control, the price can be artificially set, and marijuana will be subject to taxation.

More so, would use go up or down for it? Once again, on one hand you have easier methods of distribution and easier methods of promoting marijuana. Yet, on the other hand you have the "breaking law" appeal gone from it. It's also becomes much easier to track who is and isn't using the drug.

Finally, are there any other drugs, that are available for the sole purpose of pleasure and are legal, in the United States? I'm trying to think of them, but the only two examples I can come up with are caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol.

I think those three questions need to be answered before marijuana would ever be legalized.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
CptSternn

We already have a lengthy discussion on this here:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=425
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #18
Deadmanwalking_05

I was not aware of that.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #19
VelvetPill22

Am I the only person that doesn't want it legalized?

Yeah, it's just a plant. But I would hate to see this already fcked up world get worse with everybody high all the time. Seriously, I'd be upset.
VelvetPill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetPill22

Yeah, it's just a plant. But I would hate to see this already fcked up world get worse with everybody high all the time. Seriously, I'd be upset.
Yeah, like everyone would immediately start smoking weed if it suddenly became legal.

And have you ever even been around a stoner? Compare one sometime with a belligerent drunk and tell me who's the more pleasant person to be around.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #21
JCC

Quote:

Weed: happy, hungry and slow.

People wouldn't have the perseverence to commit crime, all of the world's criminals would be like "Hey, that bank robbery tomorrow? FUCK IT, MORE POTATO CHIPS, FUCK YEAAAAHHHHHH!!" and then fall asleep half an hour later.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
x-deviant-x

I don't function very well when I'm high. I enjoy it, but I make sure I keep my ass at home and don't have to drive anywhere for at least a few hours. While the effects don't last as long as alcohol, I can function much better when I'm drunk than I can when I'm high. It completely disorients me and usually acts as a mild to moderate hallucinogen.

About six months ago I got stoned at a friend's house, then had to go pick up my significant other from work. I got lost. It took me 3 hours just to figure out where the fuck I was at - a drive that should have only taken 15 to 20 minutes. However, it helps me focus intensely on a project, which is one of the reasons why I use it. I can spend hours working on an assignment and not even realize how much time has past. I just can't drive, or do much of anything else that requires a lot of motor skills.

So I can see the drawbacks to legalizing it, as I'm sure I'm not the only one that's affected by it this way. I think it would make the roads a lot more dangerous.

If it were to ever be legalized, they would have to put some sort of restrictions on the grade that's allowed to be sold, which would keep the stronger shit illegal, and possibly even carry stiffer penalties. Right now the law looks at all weed the same. They don't care what color or strength it is.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #23
Breathless Horror

Quote:

If it was legalized, the people who smoked it would keep smoking, those who didn't would probably keep not smoking. It's like alcohol: Alcohol is legal, but MOST people don't go around hammered all the time. Besides, alcohol is addictive, so it's actually FAR more likely to cause a ddisturbance in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Yeah, like everyone would immediately start smoking weed if it suddenly became legal.

And have you ever even been around a stoner? Compare one sometime with a belligerent drunk and tell me who's the more pleasant person to be around.
It's completely true. Ask any cop or "authority figure" which they would rather deal with, a man who's just drank 16 oz of vodka, or someone who's just smoked a gram or two of ganja. I guarrantee you that they would prefer the stoner. This is an actual conversation I overheard at a party, a drunk was guy was trying to pick a fight with my incredibly stoned friend.

Drunk: Fuck you man, I should beat the shit out of you right now!
Stoner: Man...if you're gonna be all angry like that, go over there. But before you go, wanna pass me those chips? They're too far away for me to reach. Thanks bro.

I say legalization isn't enough, I say push for unionization as well. Otherwise, the government won't let ANYONE other than them get into it. You'd see prices quadruple or more, and nobody wants that.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #24
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Weed: happy, hungry and slow.

People wouldn't have the perseverence to commit crime, all of the world's criminals would be like "Hey, that bank robbery tomorrow? FUCK IT, MORE POTATO CHIPS, FUCK YEAAAAHHHHHH!!" and then fall asleep half an hour later.
Haha, sorry about the double post, but this just reminded me of one of the best lines I've ever heard: "Stoners aren't dangerous! The only way you're going to get hurt by a high person is if you're a bag of Doritos, then you're fucked."

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
VelvetPill22

Okay well you all don't have to be douches about it.

Have I ever spent time around a stoner? Please. My ex is the "biggest stoner in Pittsburgh", supposedly.

Most of the people I know would smoke more if it were legal. Some of them don't in fear of getting arrested.

I had some really great friends who smoked weed. Fuck, I've been smoking since I was 12. When they didn't smoke they were enjoyable to be around, but when they smoked, they acted like fucking retards. Seriously, I thought their IQs dropped by like 30 points.

You people shouldn't be giving me shit for my opinion. I'm not giving you shit about yours.
VelvetPill22 is offline   Reply With Quote