Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
AngelikDemonik

No heat in my house!

My heater hasn't been working since Saturday, gas company can't come out until this evening...It is freeeeeezing in here =( I actually think it's colder in here than it is outside.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Jaye Jang

Wow. I hope you at least have some warm blankets you can curl up under. We'll just have to send warm thoughts at you and see if that helps.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
emeraldlonewoulf

Well, here's an idea; gather together everything you need, and hole up in the kitchen. close the doors to the rest of the house, or cover open doorways with blankets, if there isn't a door. Then, turn on the stove/oven, and open the oven door. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPER VENTILATION!! i.e., open a door window from time to time, to let in fresh air, and DO NOT SLEEP with the stuff running. Especially if the stove is gas. ALso be careful of small children that can get burned.

If the stove doesn't work, try plugging in an iron, and setting it upright. Toaster ovens can work, too. There are many heating elements in a home, that while not designed for the purpose, can work in an emergency.

This is all stuff that does take more energy (not to mention fire hazard), so I wouldn't try it for extended amounts of time, it could get quite expensive, but they are methods I've been reduced to before, and can work in a pinch.

Another option is just to get into bed with as many blankets as you possibly can, and layer clothing too. The only drawback is that you can't get much of anything done that way.

Good luck, and I hope they fix your heater soon!

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Zomboi

If you have any sleeping bags in the house. jump in them, often they are warmer than most dooners. Also if you don't own a pair pick a pair of thermal long johns from a camping supplies store. They can keep you very warm under your regular clothes.
Zomboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Agent17

I've been two weeks without heat in frigid conditions.
Agent17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
AngelikDemonik

Our heat is working again, thankfully.

Aganet17, I really hope you get heat soon. Until then, try following some of the tips the other posters on here made.

Something that helped me a lot was having my cat sleep underneath my blankets with me.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
prophecyofdoom

Heh I've gone without all of the utilities at some point or other due to poverty They're all on now though When I was in high school I was rather horribly burned because I tried to sleep on the floor next to the space heater and I ended up rolling against it in my sleep. If I had to pick one utility it would be electricity. I'd rather take cold showers than go without lights/computer/television/refrigeration.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I don't know what I'd rather have... I do like my computer and lights, but then I could always go without for a while and survive on art... Would have to eat food that doesn't have to be cooked, though, unless I had non-electric cooking means.

Edit: Electricity would certainly be easier to go without in the summer, though. One can always buy milk in powder form (as unfortunate as that is) and get meat and other spoilable groceries day-by-day.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
I don't know what I'd rather have... I do like my computer and lights, but then I could always go without for a while and survive on art... Would have to eat food that doesn't have to be cooked, though, unless I had non-electric cooking means.

Edit: Electricity would certainly be easier to go without in the summer, though. One can always buy milk in powder form (as unfortunate as that is) and get meat and other spoilable groceries day-by-day.

Most utilities are just conveniences, as I sit here typing on my computer. Non-electric cooking is very easy to come by, however it may not be quite as efficient as electric, or gas for that matter. Concerning spoilage, most meats can be preserved for quite some time, and canning can allow vegetables *and meat for that matter* to be preserved indefinitely. I know I am a bore, but it is something that I really find interesting. Water is the one thing that I think would be the worst commodity to lose, especially the way we live now. Water main snaps, you are pretty well screwed. However, at least where I am at, the river is very close by, and if things really went south, a system could be fairly easily utilized to get water to a house. So I will end my rant tonight.

I will add though, remember, it wasn't too long ago that people were living without electricity, the Internet, natural gas, propane, cars, oil, refrigeration, furnaces, or other modern conveniences.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
prophecyofdoom

One can survive on art very nicely. Art, and battery-powered devices. I used to buy bags of ice every day to put in the refrigerator and used it as an old-fashioned icebox. I had a wood burning stove for cooking. It wasn't such a big deal. That's how everybody used to live. If I didn't have children I might've left the utilities off permanantly to save the money. If only I could have just somehow could've ran a single wire over from a neighbors back yard or something so I could've had my computer :P Coming home to dark and silence did suck big time, though. Everything is just so much cheerier with power.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
TopHaggardDoll

I lived in two houses without central heating.

It was alright actually. If you're busy doing stuff you don't really notice, you get used to it really quickly.

Good times.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
Solumina

I'm sorry that you were without heat, I know the feeling and it is not pleasant (at least at my house we have a fireplace when such things happen)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
prophecyofdoom

Yes, a fireplace makes everything quite nice and cozy. I was suprised how much quicker I got at building them with the practice.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
Solumina

Apparently knowing how to build a fire is a bit of a rare skill these days as most people have a gas fireplace or no fireplace at all
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Noumi

Is it just me or Angelik is always talking about the weather or simething related? anyway, I like her threads.

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #16
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noumi
Is it just me or Angelik is always talking about the weather or simething related? anyway, I like her threads.

Yes, I am. I HATE cold weather/snow. Whenever I am able to, I'm going to move someplace where people think snow is a good thing (places where they don't get it).

Don't worry, once the temperature hits a constant 50 F, I will cease my complaining =)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
emeraldlonewoulf

HAHA! The one place in the country I've heard more extreme emotion expressed about snow that any other was Arizona. It was either from people who "LOVED snow" i.e. never really dealt with it, outside of the occasional ski resort, and people who hated it enough to move south in the winter.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I am an interesting paradox. I am a desert rat, by heart, but have lived in the mountains all of my life. Right now we have just got done with a week long cold snap, right around five to fifteen degrees. It's now warming up a bit, tomorrow it should be around 45. Gotta love Wyoming weather. Oh, and not only that, but I ice climb..... for fun...... I think I have a sickness.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #19
emeraldlonewoulf

Nah, it just means you appreciate pitting yourself against extremes. It's funny, I spent so mayn years in Arizona, and while up here in Nevada I am still most definitely surrounded by desert (of a different kind, to be sure) I'm just an hour from Tahoe.

Ice climbing sounds interesting. How does someone get into that, without killing htemselves? I've always wanted to try spelunking, i.e. cave exploring and climbing.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #20
prophecyofdoom

I've seen an underground waterfall I don't know if that counts as cave exploring, though we were deep underground, I was with a tour group.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
emeraldlonewoulf

I had an opportunity to go on a tour of Carlsbad Caverns when I was younger, about 10. I loved it. I have always wanted to go exploring in caves, there is just something about them that inspires curiosity. I've checked out small ones, but I would love to learn the climbing and diving skills to REALLY explore some.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I started rock climbing thirteen years ago this summer. Alot of the skills, i.e., knots, ropework, safety, are carry overs between the mediums of climbing. I got into ice climbing by mistake. The guy who taught me how to rock climb always talked about wanted to take me ice climbing, but unfortunately, he died climbing in the Tetons, so I never got to go with him. Then I moved to Cody, and fell in with the climbers around here. Most of them climb ice in the winter, because it is so concentrated here. I just took it all in and learned. The techniques are different, as far as using ice axes as opposed to your hands, but everything else is pretty close to the same. Two weekends ago, my buddy's daughter, who is fifteen, led her first ice climb. Granted, it wasn't super difficult, but in the ice climbing world, there is a do not fall policy, because you have so many sharp, pointy things on your feet, and in your hands. A small fall on lead can leave you with a broken ankle, or a large, sharp piece of metal stuck through an arm, or a calf, or embedded in other parts of your body.

A few pictures for your edification and delight.
http://b6.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/0...80740736_l.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...t/100_5787.jpg
this is from a photoshoot for Monster. I am their photo guy for ice climbing up here. I was just taking the banner down.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...t/100_5796.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...t/100B5611.jpg

This is topping out on another pitch. The helmets, all the rope, safety gear is absolutely required. I've only climbed without a helmet once, and knocked myself silly. It's not fun. Ice falls every time you swing an ax.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...t/100_5653.jpg

One more, just to show a better view of some of the scale of our climbs. This one was a first ascent, meaning we were the first to climb it. It looks short, but is over ninety meters tall. If you look really close at the top of it, you can see someone standing up there. Follow the ropes up, and there he is.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #23
emeraldlonewoulf

God, but that looks fun! You know, skiing and snow boarding never really appealed to me, but that... that has possibilities! I think I'd better improve my climbing skills a bit more first, though, rock can be hard enough (no pun intended), never mind dealing with something as slick and finicky as ice.

Excellent photos. Thank you for sharing them.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Ice is almost easier than rock. In all reality, you can bash a "hold" in where ever you want one. It just takes a bit to figure out what works best, and what conserves the most energy, especially on some of the long stuff. And you wouldn't lead for a long, long time. On a top rope a fall isn't a problem, since you are only going to fall as much as the rope stretches. It is the five foot plus falls on lead that really stink.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
emeraldlonewoulf

I hadn't considered being able to carve out holds. I suppose that would make it easier. It still looks like a lot of fun though.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote: