Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Yes, of course. Everyone's personal spiritual beliefs must be respected and regarded even a shred more than just about anything else because we certainly wouldn't want to make someone's baby Jesus cry.
Because it is a spiritual issue it always has to be about what religion the two parties are in doesn't it? What if I was complaining that the couple had sex on Martin Luther King's grave, or on that recently built memorial to the homosexual victims of the holocost? Would you have treated my comments differently if it were a racism issue and the couple screwing around on Martin Luther King's grave were triple K(had to say it that way the censor changes it to KKK if I don't) members? or an issue about sexuality with homosexuals being given the "fuck you" by a heterosexual couple having sex on the memorial?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #27
KontanKarite

I'm not saying that. It could very well have been an act of "us vs. them". We can't exactly be sure about that though. I suppose the outrage would be understandable if we knew what the intention or motivation was.

I'm not condoning the act at all. It would be entirely possible that the church just happened to be there the moment they got all hot and bothered. They could have chosen afterwards to make it an "us vs. them" issue when they got caught. If it was done because they were atheists making a statement, then it was a silly thing to do and obviously didn't help their cause of lessening the religious influences of their society.

I'm not a church goer by any stretch of the imagination. Thusly, I wouldn't be caught in a church in the first place. I'd probably get the nasty on in an alley of a church. Then again, I never found it erotic to have sex while surrounded by gothic architecture.

I'll also be honest, part of that statement of mine was based on feelings of a "them before us" stance. Possibly a bad motivator at the time of my statement. There are times when I am an asshole.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #28
LiUsAiDh

Rant - Why do atheists (most of them anyway, whom I have met) always show such disrespect to religious people. We don't try to make atheists feel like 'deluded' and 'blind' lumps of dirt. Wheras we're always the ones getting flamed.

:sigh:

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
Technowitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
Rant - Why do atheists (most of them anyway, whom I have met) always show such disrespect to religious people. We don't try to make atheists feel like 'deluded' and 'blind' lumps of dirt. Wheras we're always the ones getting flamed.

:sigh:
Oh ho! And that is where you'd be wrong. While it's true that not every religious person out there goes out of their way to save the poor atheists, there are many who do. Respect isn't a one-way street, and the same applies to disrespect. Spend a little time in the Bible Belt of the good old U.S. and you'll see what I mean.

That said, I know it's a little late to comment, but...dude, sex in a church? That's one thing, but it's a jerk move to do it while services are taking place. Talk about a lack of common decency. =/
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #30
Toy Killer

I've found many bible thumpers very very disrespectful to all religions, except their own. Suppose a Wiccan came up to you and asked if you were planing something for the spring solstace? and then refused to let you go until she quotes 13 different passages from her grimore, and asks you to take part with a prayer to her goddess? then hands you a pamphlet and a brochere, so you can get in touch with her coven if you change your mind.

Now imagine this was at noon, at the comfort of your own home.

Even as a Jew, I have to sit and listen to passages of the new testament. It's not that I can't just wave him off and tell him I'm not interested, I could, but I would be considered disrespectful.

I however, couldn't turn around and say 'you know, did you ever think that, maybe, you should pay more respect to god then his, alleged, son?' Oh Heavens no, I'd be pressing my religion then. That's illeagle in the great state of wisconsin. Yet christian denominations do it all the time, as community service... No joke, a cop explained that to me, it's considered community service becuase they are attempting to help people spiritually.

Personally, I call that blatent discrimination.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #31
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
I've found many bible thumpers very very disrespectful to all religions, except their own. Suppose a Wiccan came up to you and asked if you were planing something for the spring solstace? and then refused to let you go until she quotes 13 different passages from her grimore, and asks you to take part with a prayer to her goddess? then hands you a pamphlet and a brochere, so you can get in touch with her coven if you change your mind.

Even as a Jew, I have to sit and listen to passages of the new testament. It's not that I can't just wave him off and tell him I'm not interested, I could, but I would be considered disrespectful.

I however, couldn't turn around and say 'you know, did you ever think that, maybe, you should pay more respect to god then his, alleged, son?' Oh Heavens no, I'd be pressing my religion then. That's illeagle in the great state of wisconsin. Yet christian denominations do it all the time, as community service... No joke, a cop explained that to me, it's considered community service becuase they are attempting to help people spiritually.

Oh that is just fucking bullshit. If there's one thing I can't fucking stand it's people doing an action and putting a spin on it as if it's okay to do it.

Favoritism by the state. Mother fucker.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #32
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:

I've honestly never seen a bible thumper come through any neighborhood I've lived in. Though we once thought this one duo who came up to our doorstep were bible thumpers and so my mother said when she answered the door "we're not internested in becomming protestants" (not exact wording). Turns out they were merely comming around selling this one time deal from this one local bowling alley/arcade/pizza place. It actualy was a great deal especialy since it included unconditional unlimited bowling for a year, as well as some great coupons for only $20. But back onto the subject they had a hard time not laughing as it was apparently the funniest greeting they heard all day.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
raggedyanne

Quote:

Sorry Kontan, but I have to agree with Toy Killer on this one. Since when has it been considered "community service" to harass your neighbors? Personally, I just call it ignorance, bigotry, and self rightiousness, depending on their approach. I invited a friend over for a birthday party and his Jehova's Witness mother started lecturing me (I was 10 at the time) about how it was disrespectful to god to celebrate my birthday. I told her I didn't believe in all that and she literally pulled a bible out of her pocket and started lecturing me. Some people . . .

At least most of the Mormons I've met will leave you alone if you politely tell them you're not interested.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
Sorry Kontan, but I have to agree with Toy Killer on this one. Since when has it been considered "community service" to harass your neighbors? Personally, I just call it ignorance, bigotry, and self rightiousness, depending on their approach. I invited a friend over for a birthday party and his Jehova's Witness mother started lecturing me (I was 10 at the time) about how it was disrespectful to god to celebrate my birthday. I told her I didn't believe in all that and she literally pulled a bible out of her pocket and started lecturing me. Some people . . .

At least most of the Mormons I've met will leave you alone if you politely tell them you're not interested.
I feel the need to tell you that that type of behavior is not respected among many JWs.

My sister is a Witness, and she has said many times that they in no way condone harassment.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #35
raggedyanne

That's good to know. I've just had some very bad experiences with people who were rather sure that their views were superior.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #36
Solumina

I think Kotan was saying that what was going on in the post was bullshit, not that the post was, at least that is how I read his post

It still boggles my mind that we have gotten Mormons all the way out at my house, we are out in the middle of nowhere, hell the driveway alone is a 1/2 mile (with three lovely hills) and that is off of a dirt road, yet the Mormons have still come riding on their bikes, they look so disappointed when my mother tells them that she is very happy being a with her current religious practices , but she does still offer them something to drink because she is nice like that
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #37
raggedyanne

I hear you! I now live up on this huge hill. It's literally just under half a mile from the bottom of my hill, vertically, up the one narrow street to my house, and STILL the Mormons and the Witnesses find their way up there. I have started giving them bottled waters if they'll leave. Most are more than happy to take the water and wish me a good day ;D The poor people. I wonder if anyone actually converts, if only to make them stop coming.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #38
pijanbalkan

uhmmmmmmmm.... fuck in a church... an old phantasm lol
i don't think i would actually do it anyway.
a church is a place where a certain "decency" is to be respected because people actually go tehre to find some sanctity (at least i think so) and care about it!!!!!
i mean, it's just as cruel (but sometimes satisfying) as stealing a lollipop from a child.
pijanbalkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #39
AngelikDemonik

I'm so sick of people bumping nasties in public. I totally understand it's a turn on, but still...ewh...I don't want to touch something that has someone's vaginal secretions or butt-sweat or ball-sweat on it. Call me a prude, but that just disgusts me (no matter where it is).

THERE ARE HOTEL ROOMS THAT CHARGE BY THE HOUR. UTILIZE THEM.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #40
Tristanna

Id like to do it in a church as revenge for the upbringing i was given
Tristanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #41
Technowitch

And ruin the service for people who, more likely than not, had absolutely nothing to do with your upbringing? That's kind of rude. Why not just do it on your parents' bed--at least then it's just between you and those responsible for raising you. =/
Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #42
Tristanna

it wouldnt be during a service .
Tristanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #43
Technowitch

Ah, well, that's different then. Carry on! =D
Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #44
TopHaggardDoll

I think the best athiest I know is one of my friends....

His view is this...."If there is a God...good for him, I don't care....if there isn't...good for him...I don't care"

I think having sex in a church WOULD be a turn on, i'd only do it for that reason and that reason alone. Not to be disrespectful...however, I wouldn't have sex in a church because it isn't worth it really. You'd get crap from all sides, I'd just leave it as fantasy and fantasy alone. Some things are best left that way.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #45
Mir

I wouldn't mind having sex in a church. Hell, I wouldn't mind having sex anywhere.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #46
Toy Killer

If I ever, Ever walk in on you having sex on my rack, and non-chalantly say Hi and continue, I'm finding a large bludgeoning object, Mir...
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #47
Mr. Ed

It kind of bugged me that their rebuttal was along the lines of "We would do this anywhere else! Honest!"

I wonder what their reasoning before the incident was...
"Hey, remember that little favor I promised you earlier?"
"Yeah."
"Well, I was wondering where you'd like it to be at."
"Well, I don't know what to choose. There's my house, my parents' house, the elementary school down the road, my uncle's funeral parlor, the church, my mortgage broker's office building - "
"WAIT! GO BACK TO THAT LAST ONE!"
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #48
CptSternn

Since the initial story there have been a few updates.

http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy/emil...pair-say-sorry
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #49
Anonymoose

Quote:
The lawyer said he would appeal for leniency on the grounds that the two goth-rock fans were ''very drunk'' after an all-night concert.
I'd like to know as to why this part is even a factor. I'm calling sensationalism on this one.

Why can't news just report the news? For them to mention their interests like that implies that there's irreconcilable differences with a religion and a bunch of people who happen to be a fan of music and only reinforces those misguided views.

Then again, I don't know much about goth anyway. It reminds me of how news identifies white people as "people" and black people as "black people". Though this isn't as extreme as that, but it's still the same.

Then again, if readers of news were more intelligent, sensationalism probably wouldn't work.
Anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #50
Underwater Ophelia

All people are white unless otherwise noted.

I don't like it either.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote