Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #76
Mir

Do you mean beliefs or believers?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #77
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
I'm Jewish, or at least say Jewish, because it's easier then saying 'An undenominational believer in Jehova'. I'm very familiar with the bible, but more so, with the destruction and wrath that it has spurned by people using it as justification.

which brings me back to my original question: Is it really the religious believes that make us anal/extremists?
Your Jewish? I don't know anything about that. The description I gave about Heavan and Hell was a grossly oversimplication of what I heard. Also, I was pissed at the time.

Jewish? I don't know anything about the people or religion. Fill me in please.
I am interested in this!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #78
Mir

How difficult can it be to wiki it?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #79
Toy Killer

Christianity emerged from the Hebrew belief stucture, Judism. Jesus was Jewish, just like every other character in both bibles (though you can argue that most of the prominant characters are Christian, as they are followers of Christ). Jews believe that Jesus was not the Messiah, and that is the major difference.

The rest of our diffrences comes from individual interpretations of old testament passages.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #80
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Thus proving the point, perhaps unfairly, that atheists are as anal/extremist as their christian counterparts.
Because being human is the common denominator, not adherence to a particular faith/non-faith. It is an innate function.

There are anal people everywhere, in all walks of life. There are Nuns like Mother Theresa and nuns who slap your hands with a metal edged ruler, and we have seen in this thread that there are atheists...well, it goes without saying.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #81
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
How difficult can it be to wiki it?
How difficult would it be to give me a simple short definition? I had expected a smart ass response like this to my benign question. This is so typical.

I know for a fact that Wilipedia has lotts of bullshit mixed in. Don't tell me all of it is unadulterated fact!

See? Toy Killer answered my question. You wasted my time with another question.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #82
Mir

HP: That comment was directed towards Opteron_Boy in response to his cocksucker jibe. The statement was not a generalization for ALL Atheists/Christians but specifically assholes that are Atheists/Christians. I'll ignore the rest of your post because I know what you mean and I do not disagree.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #83
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
How difficult would it be to give me a simple short definition? I had expected a smart ass response like this to my benign question. This is so typical.

I know for a fact that Wilipedia has lotts of bullshit mixed in. Don't tell me all of it is unadulterated fact!

You're just lazy. How many people here disagree?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #84
Toy Killer

Eh, Most of it is unadulterated actually. granted, people are subject to err, but the site keeps pretty good tabs on making sure people have refrences to back them up and a damn good grafiti patrol.

Someone once tried to erase Wolverine, the X-men, from Wiki, and before he was even half way done, they had it all restored and banned him from the website.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #85
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
That comment was directed towards Opteron_Boy in response to his cocksucker jibe. The statement was not a generalization for ALL Atheists/Christians but specifically assholes that are Atheists/Christians. I'll ignore the rest of your post because I know what you mean and I do not disagree.
You do not agree? Good.

You called me "Opteron_Boy"!? Come on! You can come up with a better insult then that! Now your not even trying to hurt my feelings!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #86
Mir

What makes you think I was trying to insult you?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #87
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Eh, Most of it is unadulterated actually. granted, people are subject to err, but the site keeps pretty good tabs on making sure people have refrences to back them up and a damn good grafiti patrol.

Someone once tried to erase Wolverine, the X-men, from Wiki, and before he was even half way done, they had it all restored and banned him from the website.
Yeah, I had heard from someone (Bill Lyne) not to trust Wikipedia's credibility.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #88
Mir

So what exactly makes Toy Killer's statements anymore credible than Wiki?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #89
Toy Killer

Wikipedia has that reputation, becuase in it's early days, anybody could write anything on it. Then they set up a bunch of regulations and guidelines to keep it accurate and grifiti free...

You know, on another note, I don't think you should exactly trust this Bill Lyne guy too much. I know I was just slamming public opinion, but that guy seems to be trying to sell you a bridge... Please tell me you haven't sent him any money or anything?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #90
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
What makes you think I was trying to insult you?
You wern't? Oh, cool then. I couldn't where you were being friendly, or not. I missunderstood. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #91
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Wikipedia has that reputation, becuase in it's early days, anybody could write anything on it. Then they set up a bunch of regulations and guidelines to keep it accurate and grifiti free...

You know, on another note, I don't think you should exactly trust this Bill Lyne guy too much. I know I was just slamming public opinion, but that guy seems to be trying to sell you a bridge... Please tell me you haven't sent him any money or anything?
I did, I bought his Books:
-Occult Science Dictatorship
-Occult Ether Physics
-Pentagon Aliens (3rd Edition)
-Space Aliens from the Pentagon (First Edition)
-Free Energy Surprise

He had autographed Space Aliens from the Pentagon (First Edition) and
Free Energy Surprise with his name and a nice message for me.

I had sent him a birthday card on his 70th Birthday on the 14th of this month (June). He told me he liked liked it.

I had called him and each time I spent between 30 minutes to 3 Hours on the phone to him talking about anything and everything. I wish I could connect with my Father like I do with Bill. Too bad.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #92
Opteron_Man

If Bill is lying his ass off, what does he have to gain? He doesn't seem to be begging people to sponcer a free energy project where he won't let anybody see into the magic black box. If there is a scam in the works, then I don't see what he is trying to gain. He certainly doesn't have money falling out of his asshole. I know that.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #93
honeythorn

He will do if you keep buying stuff from him.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #94
Mir

I don't care enough about you to be friendly/unfriendly towards you, or to insult you.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #95
Toy Killer

It's called collaberate marketing. If your a fan of Naruto, you can be expected to buy almost any naruto book out there (to a degree), if you like Stephen King books, you'll be in line to buy the newest book he has coming out.

You like Bill here, and he's expecting you to be a reliable customer. It concerns me a bit, becuase I get the impression that these books talk a good deal about physics and science that I'm pretty confident you don't understand. Not that I'm trying to insult you, but you've stated that yourself on a few seperate occasions.

When I was in middle school, I was up to my elbows in philosphy books. I couldn't buy enough of them. everywhere I went, I had some accumilation or collaberation of some famous philosphers under my arm.

I still don't understand a damn word they talk about. I wasn't buying them to actually learn about philosphy, I bought them becuase it made me feel like I was smarter then other people. Smarter then myself, actually. Then I got to college and actually learned the tip of the ice burg of what all these guys were saying, and by the end of the first semester, I felt really confused and Irate. I was fooling myself, I fooled myself into thinking I was going to non-chalantly wander through a bachlors in philosphy becuase I bought a bunch of books on the subject.

Alot of what you say here reminds me of myself in those days. I just want to make sure your not building up a false idol to feel more special about yourself, when you really don't need to.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #96
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
...Toy Killer gave you a seriously simplified idea of a complex faith, one that hardly covers any meaningful part of the faith and doesn't say anything more than what an average person could be assumed to know, so don't wave that around and say "see ___ did it." Personally I think you really should look up Judaism on your own so that you can actually understand it, even if you don't ever have any intentions of following the faith, simply because it will allow you to at least somewhat understand another culture, but I guess that isn't what you wanted
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #97
Opteron_Man

Quote:
It's called collaberate marketing. If your a fan of Naruto, you can be expected to buy almost any naruto book out there (to a degree), if you like Stephen King books, you'll be in line to buy the newest book he has coming out.

You like Bill here, and he's expecting you to be a reliable customer. It concerns me a bit, becuase I get the impression that these books talk a good deal about physics and science that I'm pretty confident you don't understand. Not that I'm trying to insult you, but you've stated that yourself on a few seperate occasions.

When I was in middle school, I was up to my elbows in philosphy books. I couldn't buy enough of them. everywhere I went, I had some accumilation or collaberation of some famous philosphers under my arm.

I still don't understand a damn word they talk about. I wasn't buying them to actually learn about philosphy, I bought them becuase it made me feel like I was smarter then other people. Smarter then myself, actually. Then I got to college and actually learned the tip of the ice burg of what all these guys were saying, and by the end of the first semester, I felt really confused and Irate. I was fooling myself, I fooled myself into thinking I was going to non-chalantly wander through a bachlors in philosphy becuase I bought a bunch of books on the subject.

Alot of what you say here reminds me of myself in those days. I just want to make sure your not building up a false idol to feel more special about yourself, when you really don't need to.
No no, I wasn't insulted. I don't know enough about physics as I probably should. I kinds thought Bill's stuff sounded good.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #98
Catch

I was an athiest. It bothered me how people where. Christians and Satan Worshippers didn't like Athiest. They treated me like I didn't have any values when in reality since there wasn't anyone to blame or pass my sins over on to, I lived with more virtue than most people.

Now I believe in God. However, my attitude towards passing blame hasn't changed. I think it is gross how people say, "Jesus died for our sins." It is like a parasite passing on all of their poison to the host. It is so inately wrong and insane.

Basically, it is like a kidnapper saying that after torturing and killing a parent's son they expect to get a new car and a million dollars. That Never happens in life.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #99
Toy Killer

And you know what, that's fine, It's perfectly acceptable. I'm not saying he's wrong, he's just going against what many of us, I think I can safely say, all of us, have been taught and fully understand. Physics has been wrong before, they had to re-define the laws of aerodynamics when someone pointed out that bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly by the current teachings.

I think you ought to look into some simple beginner's physics books, just one to start with and another later to cover the details missed, and work your way up, and until you completely understand Bill's work, you shouldn't preach it.

I can tell you Socrates disproved a philosphical theory of unity, becuase under that theory you can prove trees are bricks, and so are every other two objects in the universe. I don't go around saying that trees are bricks though, becuase I don't really truely understand it, and I would blatently look silly if someone came up and told me that premise was to prove a theory wrong, not prove that items were all the same.

Information is your weapon, learn it before you go using it or you'll end up looking down the wrong end of the barrel. (Credibility wise that is)
Old 06-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #100
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
I was an athiest. It bothered me how people where. Christians and Satan Worshippers didn't like Athiest. They treated me like I didn't have any values when in reality since there wasn't anyone to blame or pass my sins over on to, I lived with more virtue than most people.

Now I believe in God. However, my attitude towards passing blame hasn't changed. I think it is gross how people say, "Jesus died for our sins." It is like a parasite passing on all of their poison to the host. It is so inately wrong and insane.

Basically, it is like a kidnapper saying that after torturing and killing a parent's son they expect to get a new car and a million dollars. That Never happens in life.
The new testement really focuses in on the fact that you should live your life to save yourself more then Judaism or Muslim.