Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Fake Pilot Cons Airlines, Flies Pasengers Around For 13 Years

Fake Pilot Cons Airlines, Flies Pasengers Around For 13 Years

SOURCE

Thomas Salme, a maintenance engineer, became a Boeing 737 pilot by flying a few nights in a flight simulator and printing a fake airliner pilot license. Amazingly enough, he flew passengers for thirteen years without any incidents.

Thirteen years of back and forth from Sweden to everywhere else in Europe. Nobody noticed until a couple of months ago, when Salme was caught by the police as he was getting ready for take off. He was in the cockpit of a Boeing 737, with 101 passengers at Amsterdam's Schipol airport. He admits that it was all a crazy idea:

"I got the crackpot idea to apply as a co-pilot at a real airline so I made myself a Swedish flying permit with a logo out of regular white paper. It wasn't laminated, and looked like something I'd made at home. It was surprisingly easy. The documents look different everywhere in Europe. An Italian airline doesn't know what a Swedish licence looks like. And you can forge all the IDs you need. I'd train there for two or three hours at a time—at least 15 to 20 times over one and a half years."

Despite putting the lives of thousands at risk, Salme only got fined a couple thousand dollars and was banned from flying for a year. Thinking twice about it, it's kind of reasonable. Despite being crazy enough to pull such a stunt, it's not entirely his fault. After all, how can a company and the flight agencies involved be so absolutely inept? How can they accept a simple printout and put a random guy in the cockpit of a passenger plane without running any background checks? A simple computer search would have probably turned out enough information to stop this from the beginning. You can imagine Frank Abagnale Jr. pulling this stunt in the 60s, but now? There are no excuses.

Ben - So how come this guy got on planes so easily for 13 years, even getting to fly them all over Europe, and I have to go through insane security just to board a passenger flight from Houston to Milwaukee?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
the-nihilist

Did you try forging fake id's from laserjet printouts?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Overall it looks like he got a pretty good bargain when you consider the costs associated with becomming a commercial pilot were probobly alot more than the fines he paid. I wonder if anyone after this will hire him.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
KissMeDeadly

Well hell, he must be a pretty damn good pilot.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote