Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Vampireblood23

Smile Shutter Island anyone?

This is a new movie that recently started presenting trailers on the television and I think it looks quite interesting. It is starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
I wanted to know the thoughts about it from others, so anyone?

Here is the plot summary found at IMDB.com:

"It's 1954, and up-and-coming U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is assigned to investigate the disappearance of a patient from Boston's Shutter Island Ashecliffe Hospital. He's been pushing for an assignment on the island for personal reasons, but before long he wonders whether he hasn't been brought there as part of a twisted plot by hospital doctors whose radical treatments range from unethical to illegal to downright sinister. Teddy's shrewd investigating skills soon provide a promising lead, but the hospital refuses him access to records he suspects would break the case wide open. As a hurricane cuts off communication with the mainland, more dangerous criminals "escape" in the confusion, and the puzzling, improbable clues multiply, Teddy begins to doubt everything - his memory, his partner, even his own sanity."
Vampireblood23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
paleghost

I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Scorsese or DiCaprio.I feel like I already know the ending, they are not investigators, they're inmates. The whole thing is all in there heads.

But I hope a lot of people go see it, so that way the theatre will be empty when I go to see Wolfman that Saturday
paleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Solumina

My boss's sister is one of the producers and it is the first "big" film that she has worked on so all of us at the concierge desk are planning on going together, otherwise I doubt I'd see it in theaters.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleghost View Post
I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Scorsese or DiCaprio.
wat.

Anyway, I love Scorsese, I think DiCaprio is underrated and I was one of the only people to go batshit wild in my adulation for 'the Aviator' but even I think Shutter Island looks shit. Still, I'll give it a chance.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Scorsese or DiCaprio.I feel like I already know the ending, they are not investigators, they're inmates. The whole thing is all in there heads.

But I hope a lot of people go see it, so that way the theatre will be empty when I go to see Wolfman that Saturday
Huh? Really? Man, I love me some Scorsese. And I agree with JCC (don't be shocked) about DiCaprio being underrated.

So, you think Shutter Island is going to be predictable, but Woifman ... oh, who knows where the plot of that mysterious mutherfucker is going, eh?

Dumbass.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
PortraitOfSanity

I guess I'm another Scorsese/DiCaprio fanboy. I'm somewhat apprehensive about Shutter Island, but I'm going to see it nonetheless.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
paleghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Huh? Really? Man, I love me some Scorsese. And I agree with JCC (don't be shocked) about DiCaprio being underrated.

So, you think Shutter Island is going to be predictable, but Woifman ... oh, who knows where the plot of that mysterious mutherfucker is going, eh?

Dumbass.
That was a little uncalled for Ben. I'm sorry I'm not a fan of Scorsese or DiCaprio, I'm just not. And I never said that Wolfman wasn't unpredictable, I however a fan of Del Toro, Hopkins, and the original. I didn't mean to start a rally, Blood wanted my opinion on Shutter Island, so I gave it.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
That was a little uncalled for Ben. I'm sorry I'm not a fan of Scorsese or DiCaprio, I'm just not. And I never said that Wolfman wasn't unpredictable, I however a fan of Del Toro, Hopkins, and the original. I didn't mean to start a rally, Blood wanted my opinion on Shutter Island, so I gave it.
You're right. "Dumbass" was uncalled for, and I apologize for it. I wasn't criticizing your taste in directors or actors ... you're entitled. I just thought it was a glaring inconsistency that you criticized "Shutter Island" because you thought you knew what the plot was going to be and in the same post said you were anticipating going to a movie that is much more likely to have a predictable plot. That was the only point I was making.

Meh, I'm not sure either film looks like they're going to be great, so I guess we'll both favor our actors of choice and see what happens.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
paleghost

Quote:
You're right. "Dumbass" was uncalled for, and I apologize for it. I wasn't criticizing your taste in directors or actors ... you're entitled. I just thought it was a glaring inconsistency that you criticized "Shutter Island" because you thought you knew what the plot was going to be and in the same post said you were anticipating going to a movie that is much more likely to have a predictable plot. That was the only point I was making.

Meh, I'm not sure either film looks like they're going to be great, so I guess we'll both favor our actors of choice and see what happens.
Thank you Ben I accept. It's always nice to know there are people who can be civil on the internet. Of course I expect a remake to be predictable. I think my want to go see wolfman also has something to do with all this twilight fever, I need to cleanse my palette with an ACTUAL werewolf.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
vindicatedxjin

Scorsese is amazingness. Gonna see this film on Friday.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
CarrionCorpse

Hey,
VB23!!
We should go see this together.
yaa?
:F
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
vindicatedxjin

IT was AMAZINGNESS....props to Leo he did an excellent job!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
Pineapple_Juice

Made me question my sanity, for real.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
vindicatedxjin

...Yah I don't like thinking about shit like that...then I'll go coocoo for realz.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
msg_themoon

That was a good movie. I love movies like that. It did what other movies already did but better. The story was told much better. Loved it. I like most movies. The winter Olympics are on.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
oktoberschilde

Location: I have Flying Monkeys; And I am not afraid to use them!
Quote:

I agree with you both here. In any ride; ( which is what a movie is; a ride for the imagination.) sometimes it is about the means of getting there, sometimes it is just about the journey.

Of Martin Scorsese?

The Man is a Fucking Genius!

However: A Classic, Like Wolfman, if done well mind you.; even-though you know what will happen in the end, the retelling of the story, seeing it reconsituted, with new and improved bangs and whistles, ala cool ass effects can be fun too.

The only thing better would be to see Scorsese's spin on that classic. Ho-hum, we can only dream.

The Infamous Mr. Oktober
oktoberschilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
cultistofvertigo

Shutter Island is a survival horror game. Yeah, I know it was a book first and everything, but, especially after seeing it, I can't really think about it as a movie.

And because of that, I have a huge gripe with the ending. There's some spoiler stuff here (not like you couldn't figure out the ending anyways), so ima put it in a different colour, just to be safe.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

At the end, the psychiatrist reveals the main character is infact an inmate undergoing a revolutionary psychiatric treatment that allows him to live out his delusions and take them to their logical conclusions, in order to avoid the more brutal treatments, like a lobotomy. Previously, he had convinced himself that the Asylum was undergoing expirements on the physical brain, and using insanity to hide it's crimes. It's also said that he has tried this once before, but regressed, and this is his last chance.

In the last scene, the main character mutters some lines that indicate he has regressed again, but right before he leaves for his lobotomy, he says something that may mean he is aware of his situation, and chooses to live under false pretenses. This would be fine if it were a survival horror game, and may have been the ending I got, but it doesn't explore all the possibilities.

I wanted to see the good ending, where he doesn't regress, but at the very end put in the part where he was right all along, and he WASN'T an inmate and they really WERE doing wierd expirements on the brain.

It would have pulled everythin together perfectly by using as many possible endings at one time as... possible. Although, on the plus side, sticking with one ending only just ups the replay value.

End of spoilers. You know what else? There actually is a Shutter Island game, and whats more it's a hardcore inventory/point and click/90's adventure game, which is more fitting than survival horror since there aren't any monsters (also a huge letdown).

Wolfman also had some problems, and guess what, it was the CGI that Rick Baker said was going to make the transformation scenes look terrible. Sounds like ignoring King Kong was a pretty stupid idea.
cultistofvertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Pineapple_Juice

^ Fuck you for using such obnoxious font. I didn't even read that post. Even if it had something of substance in it, your stupid multicolored font just invalidated it all.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
the-nihilist

Pinapple, what is your problem with multicolored fonts?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
Pineapple_Juice

What? Sorry, I couldn't read that post because my retinas were burning.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
cultistofvertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
^ Fuck you for using such obnoxious font. I didn't even read that post. Even if it had something of substance in it, your stupid multicolored font just invalidated it all.
Yeah, that slate grey can be really taxing on the eyes.

Well, I was trying to make the "spoiler" part stand out because I didn't know if anyone cared about that.

And courier new? That's the only font. Try to turn in any of your silly goth poems in Ye Olde BlackLetter Gothic Bold to get published and I guarantee you they'll spit right in your face.

I feel so strongly about this, of course, because I am a prolificly published author whose work has been widely recognized by my peers to be the best. Stuff. The name's Stephen King, maybe you've heard it?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #22
Ben Lahnger

Black text

WOW!

I DIDN"T READ ANY OF THAT!!!

IN FACT, POST HERE IN GREY OR RED OR OTHER HARD TO READ COLORS OR FONT TYPES TOO TINY TO EASILY VIEW WITH THE NAKED EYE, AND I WON"T READ THEM EITHER.

BONUS TEXT - A JOKE:

Q: What's the longest sentence known to man?
A: I Do.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #23
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultistofvertigo View Post
The name's Stephen King, maybe you've heard it?
Are you the guy with the dog? I thought his name was Dan Koon or something.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
cultistofvertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Are you the guy with the dog? I thought his name was Dan Koon or something.
Surprise! I'm not really Stephen King, it was me, Cultist of Vertigo, the whole time!

Now THAT's a plot twist, unlike the end of Shutter Island. Woah, just brought us back on topic too.

I am on fire. Like actually on fire! Aaahh!

Just joking, i'm not actually on fire. Gotcha' again!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Mariner

I just saw the movie tonight, I really enjoyed it. Is it just me, or was anyone else reminded of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with the whole plot twist of "He was really a patient at a mental institution the entire time!".
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote