Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
LiUsAiDh

The Olympics

Sport isn't really my thing, but since boredom has taken over my summer holidays recently, I have been watching the Olympics. So, anyone else watching them? Have an opinion on China hosting them?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7557771.stm

A group of protesters who tried to unfurl a pro-Tibet banner near an Olympics venue in the Chinese capital Beijing have been held by police.

A British journalist who was in the area covering the protest is also reported to have been arrested.

The journalist has been identified as John Ray of ITV News.

This is not the first protest to happen during the Olympics. A man was removed from an equestrian event on Saturday for trying to unveil a Tibetan flag.

Up to eight protesters, from the group Students for a Free Tibet, had tried to hang a banner in the Chinese Ethnic Culture Park near the National Stadium reading "Free Tibet".

But they were arrested within seconds of the attempt.

Mr Ray was also briefly detained, and claims he was dragged into a nearby restaurant and forcibly held down by officers. "I tried to explain to them that I was a British journalist but they would not even let me take out my identification documents," Mr Ray told reporters.

This was an assault in my mind. I am incredibly angry about this

The fate of the other detained protesters was not clear.

China pledged to allow freedom for journalists covering the Games, but has since been criticised for trying to curtail coverage of sensitive subjects all the same.

This was probably the largest in a string of recent protests in Beijing to coincide with the Olympics.

Several activists have been deported as a result.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
LiUsAiDh

Nobody's replying; I feel so unloved.

:sniffle:

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 08-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Saya

When I was in high school I was a member of Students For A Free Tibet, Olympic protests was something they've been planning for a long time. Its very frustrating that before the Olympics, no one cared or was willing to listen to them, you know? The Olympics to them is their chance to get the protest heard.

Its also likely as well that once the Olympics are over, the Tibetan movement won't get any media coverage anymore. Not even that, China's human rights record will be ignored again as well.

What I also find funny about the Olympics is how far China is willing to go to impress everyone. Like the little girl who sang at the Olympics, it was found that she was miming, the girl who was actually singing was deemed not pretty enough, and they defend doing that "for the good of the country." Apparently the fireworks weren't real, either.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
LiUsAiDh

I know, I think it's awful that that child was deemed 'too ugly'. Her self esteem must be destroyed, even though she's so young. It's very upsetting, and she would have been so excited too.

There was a BBC report on the people living in the slums of Beijing being removed, their houses destroyed, and being arrested. It was horrific, but I can't locate it at the moment.

Although the Olympics have put China's defects under the spotlight, which can't be bad.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Noumi

I don´t have many expectations about my country in the Olimpics. Well, no one knows if it turns out we win something but I just don´t think so.

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
CptSternn

Without the Olympics, we would never get to see stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-SbdmcZim8
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Noumi

Ouch!!!

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Tam Li Hua

Eh, surprisingly enough, I'm just not into them right now. :/ Quite frankly, I'll be glad when all the hullabaloo dies down; I'm tired of hearing and reading about how horrible China is.

Also, the super-strict policing doesn't surprise me in the least. What surprises me is that folks actually expected China to just sit back and let protestors take over the Olympics. -_-;;; No other country would stand for such behavior, so why would China?

Saya: I hope you don't mind me asking, but how could the fireworks not be real? It's China; they invented fireworks. :P

When I was in Beijing for Chinese New Years' a few years ago, fireworks were going off everywhere. XD It was spectacular, but also very very illegal. [Along with the crackle of fireworks, there were the sounds of several ambulances.]

However, I -do- agree with you about the little girl, but I have to wonder if they are -really- the first folks to do such a thing at the Olympics.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Geoluhread

I didn't even watch that crap... I think it's pointless to have extravagant celebrations while others suffer so horribly, it's selfish... I understand the need of wanting to have some fun... But really, does it have to be THAT big?
I watched glimpses of it because dad was watching and i had to eat in front of the tv, and i have to say... Wasting 10 months of your life to learn a dance that lasts five minutes...? Unless someone is paying me huge... I wont ever waste my life on that...!
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Tam Li Hua

Geo: I haven't watched the opening ceremony yet, but I can understand it -perfectly-. The entire PRC [People's Republic of China] has been looking forward to the Olympics ever since they won the bid! Hell, it was one of the first things that I was asked as a teacher there five years ago!

And if you feel that an art like dance is a waste of your life, then I feel sorry for you. :/
Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Saya

When they aired the fireworks on tv some of the clips shown were computer simulated.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...15075291?f=rss
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Tam Li Hua

Heh heh. What I find most amusing about that is that they didn't keep the animator from confessing to the Beijing Times, nor have they censored the architect. XD XD XD

Why on earth would the world media trust only the one camera? That seems a bit odd to me. [But then again, it's China, so who knows. lol]
Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Saya

It was the same here in Canada the last time we had the winter olympics, different stations bid for who gets to film and only one gets too (in our case I think it was CTV who won the bid)
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
I didn't even watch that crap... I think it's pointless to have extravagant celebrations while others suffer so horribly, it's selfish... I understand the need of wanting to have some fun... But really, does it have to be THAT big?
I watched glimpses of it because dad was watching and i had to eat in front of the tv, and i have to say... Wasting 10 months of your life to learn a dance that lasts five minutes...? Unless someone is paying me huge... I wont ever waste my life on that...!
So why do you eat dinner when other people are starving?
Why do you wear clothes you like when other people have none?
Why do you use the internet?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Tam Li Hua

Ophelia: 10.0

Geo: 3.5

Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
Geoluhread

Instinct of survival... But i don't stuff myself with food, and i'm greatful to every bit of it because i know others don't have it, i don't through away food...
I wear clothes, But i don't waste my time on shopping, don't waste lots of money on it....
If i have those things and do them, doesn't mean i'm not greatful or not aware of what's happening...

All i mentioned was that the celebration was so "too much" when the money spent on it could've been put to a better use!!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Instinct of survival... But i don't stuff myself with food, and i'm greatful to every bit of it because i know others don't have it, i don't through away food...
I wear clothes, But i don't waste my time on shopping, don't waste lots of money on it....
If i have those things and do them, doesn't mean i'm not greatful or not aware of what's happening...

All i mentioned was that the celebration was so "too much" when the money spent on it could've been put to a better use!!
So you only have one outfit?
You wash it every day, and give the money you'd spend on clothing to charity?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
Geoluhread

I have more than one outfit, But i only buy clothes when i really need them...
Currently, i cannot access any charities because i'm not legally an adult and i'm not allowed to go out... But when i start college i do plan on doing charity work and giving money to good causes...

Back to the china thing... The only thing i give the credit for is that they will build a school for every gold medal won... That's a great idea... But did the celebration need to be so Damn *OMG look at what china has and you don't*
Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #19
Tam Li Hua

Geo: You can still give to and work for charities as a minor. I've never heard of the food bank turning down help, and I doubt that the homeless guy on the corner is going to ask you for your birthdate if you give him some money or clothes.

As for the Olympics and China, remember that the entire country has been looking forward to them for a long time. [See my above comments about this.] As for extravagent, you should visit the PRC during Chinese New Year. Extravagence isn't an uncommon thing for fun and festivals in the Orient.

Also, just out of curiosity, have you ever watched any other Olympic opening ceremonies? Do you have an issue with how America or any of the other countries have had spectacular ceremonies instead of putting the money 'to better use'?

To me, it seems that you're just jumping on the "China is Eb1L!!1!" bandwagon. :P
Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #20
Geoluhread

Caring about humanitarian issues has started for me about a year ago, actually i only started living about 1.5 years ago... But it's not the issue... I despite everything that is too much, moderation is the key...
About volunteering, i said, i'm not allowed to go out... I live in a "no-female-going-out" community, that's why i said i'm waiting for college "yay!!"

I have a problem with over-the top ceremonies to a certain level, as i said earlier in this thread, i understand people wanting to have fun...
And i apologise if china took most of the blame, but it's what's on the table of discussion
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Tam Li Hua

It's fine to care, and I agree that moderation is a good thing, but I -do- enjoy me a flashy show every now and again [as long as I don't have to pay for it].

I see you live in Jordan. I smell an interesting story in regards to that. *sniff sniff*
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Without the Olympics, we would never get to see stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-SbdmcZim8

Not there anymore...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

China became much much more oppressive against Tibet to stop any manifestation during the Olympics. It reminds me of '68.
I wanted for people not to watch the Olympics as a form of boycott, but by this time it was impossible to actually do something that changed the vibe of it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

I see you live in Jordan. I smell an interesting story in regards to that. *sniff sniff*
OMG, i never thought living in jordan would stink so bad =<

Born in former USSR... Dad Jordanian, mom ukrainian... No interesting story i'm afraid
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
OMG, i never thought living in jordan would stink so bad =<

Born in former USSR... Dad Jordanian, mom ukrainian... No interesting story i'm afraid
Pretty interesting to most folks here in the States. ^_^

I'd -love- to take a trip to Jordan! I've been wanting to for years, but just haven't yet.