Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Teeth Modification

So what are people's general opinions on getting any or all or any portion of a tooth modified surgically or otherwise?

Personally I wanna get my canines sharpened, not for the whole 'I wanna be a vamp look', cause I couldn't really give a shit about looking like a vamp, I just like pointy teeth, that and it would make biting more fun.

So can anyone give me an estimate on how much it'd cost to get my canines professionally sharpened? And any problems that can ensure, aside form the obvious tongue biting
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Maybe you should try some caps first because for realistic reasons teeth sharpening would be not worth the cost and pain. I like your hair its very pretty porcelain doll curls = cuteness :}
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Death_Mask

I was born with two extremely sharp extra canines but when my dentist recommended that I just have them removed I got the normal ones taken out and left the fang-like ones in. I also have two extra sharp teeth at the bottom so it looks like I have fangs all the time.

I think it might look cool just don’t wear a cape unless you want to go for the whole “I vaant to drink your blad” look. But if you can pull of the vampire look then do it.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretia_my_Reflection
Maybe you should try some caps first because for realistic reasons teeth sharpening would be not worth the cost and pain. I like your hair its very pretty porcelain doll curls = cuteness :}
Awww, why thankyou

I probably should try caps first, and yes, cost is something that I'm really desperate to find out as well as the amount of pain it will cause during and after the procedure.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Valerius

After spending four excruciating years with braces I wouldn't want anything else done to my pearly whites asides from the occassional cleaning and preventive maintenance. But, caps sound interesting. Although I wouldn't want anything as extreme as teeth sharpening.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Porphyria

Having your teeth "sharpened" by filing them to points is really bad for them. Anything that compromises your tooth enamel is disasterous. My husband had a wierd reaction to his braces as a teenager and it caused the enamel where the braces were attached to dissolve. As a result, his teeth became brittle and discolored. He ended up having to get a full set of posts and caps, which would have cost us around $40,000 if we didn't have good dental.

I'd invest in a good set of custom caps, which cost upwards of $200, but won't do any damage to your actual teeth. Your other option would be to talk to a cosmetic dentist about a pair of permanent caps, which will probably cost in the thousands. And "permanent" doesn't really mean that. You'll have to have your caps re-glued every so often. It seems like my husband is always getting one of his fixed.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
maggot

Actually filing teeth to points gives you a lesser chance of tooth decay or damage. That's one of the reasons they do it in tribal societies.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
Valerius

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Actually filing teeth to points gives you a lesser chance of tooth decay or damage. That's one of the reasons they do it in tribal societies.
Really? Do elaborate. I just feel that doing anything to the tooth's enamel like thinning it down is consequential to health. Not to mention it hurts like fuck. >.<

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
maggot

I can't find anything online right now. >_<

Anyway, I'm a body modification junkie, not to mention that I heard this on the discovery channel.

I guess by lessening the total are of the tooth, and decreasing the amount of area food can get stuck between, it helps prevent tooth decay.

It also looks real cool.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Sir Canvas Corpsey

So sharpening them has health benefits as well?

Hmm but some of those price tags are well....pricey.

But have sharper canines whether it be through sharpening or caps is something I'm dedicated to, and I won't have to work as hard hen biting people if I get 'em sharpened
Old 12-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #11
Opteron_Man

use a dremel if you deside to point your teeth. just kidding though.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
TopHaggardDoll

If you want long sharp teeth, you'll have to get caps. If they're filed they might be a little bit too short for your tastes.