Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Tralis

Artistic Intent of Lucretia, My Reflection

I love the Sisters of Mercy, and Floodland is a fantastic album. I can't listen to Lucretia enough. However, I'm curious as everyone's opinion as to what the song actually means. Sure, not everything has to be terribly deep (This Corrosion, for example), but I'd just like to hear what everyone has to say.

What I see in the lyrics:
The lyrics have a lot of focus on the narrator senses. He hears a big machine, dive bombers, two worlds (which seem to involve metal and methamphetamine), and the sons of the city. He complains that what he hears does not make sense. I also see a struggle for senses besides hearing. He says that he looks hard to see for real, and that he cannot feel. He also doesn't see much evidence, but probably doesn't mean see and in with eyes so much as just to perceive.

There's, of course, a theme of machinery too. The big machine, the train (and railroad), the dive bombers, the hot metal. There's also the question of Lucretia and what she represents. Is Eldritch referring to Lucretia Borgia, Lucretia the wife of Lucius Tarquinius Collatinus?

Forgive me if my analysis seems like it kills the song, but it just seems like an enigma to me.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Man In Room 5

I've actually taken about 3 pages of notes upon that song but I don't want to post them here because they're part of a larger project on gothic art I hope to publish elsewhere (if I ever get it done!). A lot of what I intent to argue depends upon interpretation of that song. I touched on it a little in another post tho.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showpo...2&postcount=52

That whole thread is excellent IMO. Lots of interesting points being debated.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Albert Mond

Smile

I like this one:
Quote:
This is Eldritch's "welcome to the band, Patricia (Morrison)!" song. The whole thing is a metaphor for the release of the new album and the return of the new incarnation of The Sisters after the breakup of the original.
"I hear the roar of a big machine
Two worlds and in between
Love lost, fire at will
Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill"
The press coverage of the split and the fallout afterwards.
"Empire down"
Everyone thought Eldritch was retired (and/)or dead.
"We got the empire, now as then,
We don't doubt, we don't take direction,
Lucretia, my reflection, dance the ghost with me"
Translation: "I was the most important one in the band, I'm back, I don't care what anyone else thinks or thinks I should do, I've got a crazy goth bird with me now and I'm going to make a cheeky reference to ex-Sisters member Gary Marx's new band Ghost Dance."
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
I've actually taken about 3 pages of notes upon that song but I don't want to post them here because they're part of a larger project on gothic art I hope to publish elsewhere (if I ever get it done!). A lot of what I intent to argue depends upon interpretation of that song. I touched on it a little in another post tho.

Your single post was very good in that great minds think alike: Dr. Samuel Johnson, one of my favorite writers said the same thing in the 18th Century:

that by delving into stories and writings about things we fear or are saddened by we become more immune to them and are thus able to live more happily despite them.

I am going to have to try and find the exact quote and will post it here.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Tralis

Quote:

Honestly, the beggining of that thread scared me off. It seemed kind of bashing to the OP, SKULHEDFACE.
I guess I should forge beyond that regardless.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Draconysius

To me, it seems like more themes referencing Russia and the Cold War.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Man In Room 5

Hey Drac, I got your CD yesterday. Thanks!
Since I keep my CDs in alpha order yours is the 1st in my collection.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Draconysius

Quote:
Hey Drac, I got your CD yesterday. Thanks!
Since I keep my CDs in alpha order yours is the 1st in my collection.
No problem, hope you enjoy it. Do you have a Rateyourmusic account?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Man In Room 5

No, sorry. With all the other stuff I've been doing I haven't had time to look into Rateyourmusic. Should I?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
Draconysius

It's a place where you can catalog, rate and review your music collection. I usually ask recipients of AU albums to write a review there. I've got three for Crucified and one waiting for Communion.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Man In Room 5

I'll try to check it out if I get time.

You should send a copy to Mick Mercer too. His page is kinda crappy but he gets a lot of hits and has a big following. Love him or hate him, he's got to be the biggest goth reviewer around.

http://www.mickmercer.com/
Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Draconysius

Quote:
I'll try to check it out if I get time.

You should send a copy to Mick Mercer too. His page is kinda crappy but he gets a lot of hits and has a big following. Love him or hate him, he's got to be the biggest goth reviewer around.

http://www.mickmercer.com/
I don't value him as a critic. He puts some of the most boring, irritating tripe on a pedestal just because it's original. Let's just say our tastes differ.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #13
Man In Room 5

Yeah, he's a little on the ambient side I think. He's always pushing Gloria Mundi as the 1st goth band and his favorite band is Ataraxia (who I can't stand). I do read him a lot tho simply because I know his taste well enough that I can tell if I would like something he didn't like.