Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Commentary
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Commentary Dicussion and feedback for Gothic.net articles, fiction, and news. This is where the community gets to add their thoughts and perhaps constructive opinions about the fiction and articles and such.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Eeegor

Kill City: The New Sonja Blue Novel and Kickstarter

Quote:
Nancy A. Collins is the distinguished author of the well-known horror and urban fantasy vampire series featuring the main character, Sonja Blue. She hasn’t written a new Sonja Blue tale in over ten years, and her fans have hoped to remedy this situation. Ms. Collins intends to do just that by writing the novel, “Kill [...]
Read the full article...
Eeegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
BourbonBoy

You're just now posting this with less than a week to go?
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Versus

That's good to hear, I guess. I'm not really into vampires, but I've read a couple Sonja Blue books and Nancy Collins might be a little refreshing these days, if only a little cliche.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
BourbonBoy

I've always enjoyed Collins myself, and really hope others will help contribute to this. Mostly because I thought "Darkest Heart" didn't seem like the proper way to end the series.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Versus

I haven't read the series. Just (one of?) the short story anthology and that Sonja Blue / Vampire: The Masquerade crossover she wrote as basically a rip-off of A Fistfull of Dollars... Well, at least she acknowledges it in the preface.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
BourbonBoy

Sounds like you came in at the end of the original series then. The first half of the series consisted of Sonja Blue hunting the vampire that made her and had a sense of originality and energy I found lacking in the second half of the series.
The latter 3 books is basically her fucking around going from one town to the next taking out whichever vampire lord she encounters. I felt Collins was basically saying, "I want to write something different, but I don't know what so here's a Blue story to shut my publisher up."

Collins even admitted as much in the afterword of "Darkest Heart" that she was tired of writing about the Blue character and was going to shelve it until she felt inspired again. Hopefully she can find a proper publisher soon, because I'm sick to death of the "Wow is me, I'm forever alone so I'm going to make someone like me" vampires.