Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 PM   #1701
Darkfeeling

X Men 3

I went and saw that in theatres Monday. It was quite good.
Darkfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:23 AM   #1702
Somber Illusions

I watched this movie called White Skin, something about a succubus. It was a foreign film made in Quebec, really interesting actually.
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 AM   #1703
Somber Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
I just watched The Mothman Prophecies.

Supposedly the movie is based on true events.
I recently viewed a documentary of the actual events on the Travel Channel. The incidents in the movie really happened, like the bridge collapsing. Except the Mothman was said to have visited numerous people in the town, not just one as in the movie.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:38 AM   #1704
roserougesang

Last film I watched was From Hell, which is about Jack the Ripper. It is a tad inaccurate on the historical side but it has a serial killer, Johnny Depp and it is set in Victorian times. What more could you want?
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #1705
Morrigan_Dubh

I watched 2 films last night...

Jarhead
Pros: Entertaining. Fun to watch - great cinematography and sfx. Jake G. is a great actor.
Cons: A little heavy-handed in it's "Moments" scenes. A little hackneyed too. Heavily inspired by "Full Metal Jacket" and similar 'war is bad but will make or break you' kind of war movies.
Best Quote - "I was 20 years old and was stupid enough to sign a contract."

Battle Beyond the Stars
A "so bad it's good" kind of movie from 1980 from the director of "Heavy MEtal". Attempting to cash in on the popularity of Star Wars, it is heavily based on "The Seven Samurai" and even has Robert Vaughan almost reprising his role in "The Magnificent Seven". George Peppard is a space cowboy, and "John-Boy" from the Waltons is the lead. Sybil Danning is marvelous as a "Valkyrie".
Best Quote - "Does your species have kissing?" (I'll be stealing that for my future chat-up lines)...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #1706
Falken

The Duel

one of the first films Spielberg ever directed. You can tell it's very low budget but it is still the kind of thriller that he would later make in Jaws... I haven't seen Jaws so I can't say which is better. Anyway, it's nice that a film holds up like this 35 years later... still suspenseful.

from Wikipedia:

"Duel is a 1971 television movie directed by Steven Spielberg, written by Richard Matheson (based on his own short story), starring Dennis Weaver and a Peterbilt 351 tanker truck. Duel was Spielberg's feature-length directing debut, following a well-received turn directing a segment of the anthology television series Night Gallery. Initially shown on American television as an ABC Movie of the Week installment, it was eventually released to cinemas in Europe."

I won't post the link to the site because it has spoilers on it and I know it sucks to watch a film and know how it's going to end.
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #1707
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falken
The Duel
Brilliant film! The truck is just so fucking SCAREY!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #1708
end.of.eternity

The Da Vinci Code.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #1709
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by end.of.eternity
The Da Vinci Code.
How was it??

I guess I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD to watch it because of the oh-so- conservative Christian minds over here.

~~Mini rant over~~

Cartman(South Park): It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a woman's separation; this sort of penetration will
increase the population of the younger generation.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #1710
end.of.eternity

Really, it was boring. After the book you know the plot already and there was nothing new and I nearly fell asleep in the movie theather! Don't go buying it, take it from a rental agency first and then see if you still want to buy it after that.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #1711
Nemesion

Hellraiser. I skipped the most of the sex scenes though.
Nemesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #1712
chelseagirl

I watch a Japanese horror last night called "Kansen", aka "Infection". I really like it, it was a thoroughly creepy movie.
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #1713
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by end.of.eternity
Really, it was boring. After the book you know the plot already and there was nothing new and I nearly fell asleep in the movie theather! Don't go buying it, take it from a rental agency first and then see if you still want to buy it after that.

Yeah, I hate it when they turn good books into movies because I just sit there and start comparing between the movie and the book and pointing out the movie's flaws and the missing parts from the book, and how they've ruined it...I never stop!!Hehe.

Cartman(South Park): It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a woman's separation; this sort of penetration will
increase the population of the younger generation.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #1714
Darkfeeling

Thats why sometimes its good to see the movie first then read the book. Sometimes it works out better because you can enjoy the movie in its own right, and then enjoy the book even more because of how much detail it has.

Eh but sometimes I just like to see the movie after I've read the book.
Darkfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #1715
maggot

I saw the translation of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari! Twas awesome
It was restored much better than the other version I saw, that I could hardly even watch.

Does anyone know any other good German Expressionism films?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #1716
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
I saw the translation of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari! Twas awesome
It was restored much better than the other version I saw, that I could hardly even watch.

Does anyone know any other good German Expressionism films?

Maggot,

I reccomend these films,

Nosferatu

Metropolis

The Golem

Faust

Have a look on the German Expressionist thread for more info...
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #1717
end.of.eternity

Succubus, Darkfeeling, I agree with both of you. And besides, people are often used to think the first experience of some work being the only right one, and the later versions are usually bad only because they aren't same-like as the first experienced. Meaning that if you read a book version first of some volume, you find it being the only true version, and the movie/comic/musical/whatever version that you get to know later is not as good because it's deleted some scenes or added something that wasn't in the book. Sometimes those director's addings are even better than in the book/comic/whatever, but if you've read that first, you won't like it whatever it was. Usually.

And I don't mean to stereotype that movies are always badder than books, like Star Wars episodes 4-6 came before the book trilogy and I think the books were poorer, only because of the bad metaphoras and such which shouted to me that the writers weren't good. It was nothing about the plot, but about the poor literature.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:36 AM   #1718
Cicero

Yesterday I watched a rather mediocre BBC version of "The Picture of Dorian Gray", followed by "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for the seventy-thousand'th time.

I have no complaints about the classic comedy I love so dearly (that would be the latter), but some of the acting in "The Picture..." was absolutely atrocious. It made me extremely glad to have read the book first.

Oh and I watched the first 10 minutes of another BBC version of "The Importance of Being Earnest". Seeing my favourite play slaughtered by such terrible casting was unbearable.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #1719
DeathbyGlory

Fist of Fury by Bruce Lee I just love this movie becaus eof the fight scenes and because of one of my idols Bruce Lee.Its one of the only movies that can make me shed a tear because of the ending
DeathbyGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #1720
Paper_Wings

I watched "The Girl With the Pearl Earing" not too long ago. I love that movie; One of my favorites.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:10 AM   #1721
Somber Illusions

I watched Birth with Nicole Kidman, it was disgusting. In my opinion, it promotes child molestation.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #1722
Magpie_Tendencies

I saw "The World's Fastest Indian" yesterday. I loved it. The actor who played Burt Munroe was really good. I was disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the motorbike but that's the way it goes.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #1723
Falken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber Illusions
I watched Birth with Nicole Kidman, it was disgusting. In my opinion, it promotes child molestation.
Hmmm, looking at the movie synopsis, I can see your point...
'Birth' Synopsis

Last edited by Falken; 06-05-2006 at 06:30 AM. Reason: because I can
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #1724
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber Illusions
How come? Does she actually get on it?

On a related topic, I last saw The Woodsman. It was interesting, but I disliked the ambiguous ending. I only very, very rarely like ambiguous endings - generally my view is that if I've sat through two to three hours of your movie footage, you should really give me something back.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #1725
Loy

"Birth" promoting paedophilia? That's as idiotic as Arkansas tried banning "The Tin Drum" with a similar argument....and both arguments were/are invalid. Please learn such things as "story context", "narrative experimentation", and "suspension of disbelief" before making dumn judgement calls on movies (and, really, any other art form).