Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Ben Lahnger

LA Rep. Joseph Cao suggestion to oil execs - "... commit hari-kari."

Congress grills oil execs on prep for major spill

SOURCE

Members of Congress chastised the largest oil companies Tuesday, accusing them of being no better prepared than BP to avert an environmental catastrophe.

As the oil executives testified at a House hearing, Rep. Joseph Cao said: "In the Asian culture, we do things differently," Cao said. "During the samurai days, we'd just give you a knife, and ask you to commit hari-kari."

As the oil executives testified at a House hearing, Rep. Henry Waxman asserted that the companies' spill response plans amounted to "paper exercises" that mirrored BP's failed plan. Their strategies to plug a spill deep beneath the sea are the same failed strategies that have stymied BP, the California Democrat said.

The other companies "are no better prepared to deal with a major oil spill than was BP," said Waxman, setting the tone for a tense hearing.

But the executives sought to distance themselves from BP, telling lawmakers they would not have drilled the Deepwater Horizon well in the same way as the British company. They suggested some of BP's design decisions and actions may have jeopardized well integrity.

One lawmaker after another expressed frustration at BP's inability to stop oil gushing from its stricken well as the chief executives representing ExxonMobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Shell - as well as BPAmerica - sat shoulder to shoulder at the witness table.

The House hearing marked the first time that the chief executives of the major oil companies - all leaders in deep-water drilling in the Gulf - were called before Congress since the April 20 BP explosion on the Deepwater Horizon, unleashing the country's worst oil spill.

The five companies, including BP, have a combined worth of $776 billion and earned $64 billion last year.

Rep. Jay Inslee, D-Wash., questioned why BP paid CEO Tony Hayward $36 million last year, while spending just $10 million on research.

"Do you think that is appropriate prioritization?" Inslee asked Lamar McKay, president of BPAmerica. He declined to answer.

The government has estimated that as much as 2 million gallons of oil a day may be flowing into the Gulf.

Waxman's committee questioned McKay on internal company e-mails and documents that the lawmaker said showed that BP made repeated decisions in the days and hours before the explosion that increased the risk of a major well blowout.

Were mistakes made by BP? asked Waxman of the executives.

ExxonMobil chief executive Rex Tillerson said the Gulf spill would not have occurred if BP had properly designed its deepwater well. "We do not proceed with operations if we cannot do so safely," said Tillerson.

"We would not have drilled the well in that way," said James Mulva, the CEO of ConocoPhillips.

As BP's McKay sat inches away, Shell president Marvin Odum said, "It's not a well that we would have drilled the way it was set up."

Chevron CEO John Watson said some of BP's practices aimed at well integrity "we would not put in place."

"We must learn from this accident," said Watson.

In a tense exchange, Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass. insisted repeatedly that McKay "apologize to the American people for "lowballing" for weeks the amount of oil that was gushing from the damaged wellhead. BP had said 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) a day were being released when it's now known that possibly ten times that amount may have been flowing, said Markey.

"Are you ready to apologize for getting that number wrong," repeated Markey.

McKay said "those were not BP's estimates" but those of the government's "unified command" dealing with the response. "We are sorry for everything the Gulf coast is going through," McKay finally said.

So far, 114 million gallons of oil have poured into the Gulf under the worst-case scenario described by scientists - a rate of more than 2 million gallons a day. BP has collected 5.6 million gallons of oil through its latest containment cap on top of the well, or about 630,000 gallons per day.

Waxman's committee released documents that showed BP made a series of money-saving shortcuts and blunders that dramatically increased the danger of a destructive spill from a well that an engineer ominously described as a "nightmare" just six days before the April blowout.

Investigators found that BP was badly behind schedule on the project and losing hundreds of thousands of dollars with each passing day, and responded by cutting corners in the well design, cementing and drilling efforts and the installation of key safety devices.

"Time after time, it appears that BP made decisions that increased the risk of a blowout to save the company time or expense," Waxman and Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., chairman of the committee's investigations panel, wrote in a letter.

Congressman Cao's comment came after another Congressman asked the head of BP America to resign.

Ben - Yeah, buddy. I think we ought to handle this thing the Japanese way ... they'd have just plugged that well with the bodies of dead oil executives!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Ben Lahnger

One of a series from The Maddow Blog.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
M.Valdemar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Congress grills oil execs on prep for major spill

Ben - Yeah, buddy. I think we ought to handle this thing the Japanese way ... they'd have just plugged that well with the bodies of dead oil executives!
Yep.

The Alpha and the Omega of the problem if put to my vote.
M.Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
d0p3y

Wheres our CLEANER , AND MORE EFFICIENT ENERGY SOURCE.!!!

I belive this is the time people should be pushing for this ...

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Ben Lahnger

There is a twitter account with the fake name BPGlobalPR which keeps posting these pithy humorous gems about the situation, and I though this one rated repeating:

@BPGlobalPR - We are not killing animals in the gulf, we are creating fossils in the gulf. Have a little perspective.

That's right -- since everyone is clamoring for the U.S. to switch to a renewable energy source, maybe BP thinks they've found a way to make one with oil!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Meh I still think they're underestimating the amount of oil it would take to create enough fossils to make up for the oil loss. But on the bright side now is a great time to buy BP stock so I can be ready when all that new oil is done forming. Now I just have to figure out how to extend my lifespan by who knows how many years.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote