Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
CptSternn

Red face McCain Vs. Obama

So here are the first two ads that have made international media.

The first, includes the CBS commentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phBBnxXJdoM

The second, posted on Funny Or Die (Will Ferrells website)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbE9XbNEvQ

You have to admit two things:

First, McCain should be careful about throwing insults at celebs. If for no other reason, they have the time, money, and media attention to make him look worse than he already does

And second, he really should put out some positive ads that feature himself. So far if you check YouTube or Google for McCain ads, every one of them is an attack on Obama. I mean, seriously, last week the man complained the media was ignoring him, yet his own ads feature more shots of Obama than himself.

Check this link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Thoughts? Opinions? Commentary? Humorous attacks on the candidates?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
JCC

John McCain just fails. At policies, at PR, every step he takes, every word he says is just another foray into failure.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
LiUsAiDh

To be honest, I don't think McCain has a chance. Unless America is really rather more racist than I thought.

McCain reminds me of Ming Campbell. Two old and shitty politicians which are never publicised enough.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
To be honest, I don't think McCain has a chance. Unless America is really rather more racist than I thought.

McCain reminds me of Ming Campbell. Two old and shitty politicians which are never publicised enough.
It's very sad, but McCain does stand a chance, and America is probably a lot more racist than you thought.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
peacebear5028

I think if I described all the blatant rage i hold towards Mccain for everything hes ever done my anger may finally get the better of me and i would have to go find him and spit at him, perhaphs wring his neck. And then i would go to jail.
And that would not be a pleasant experience.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

The only redeeming feature of McCain is that he's been nice enough to be funny in a couple of Saturday Night Live sketches. But that has nothing to do with politics.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
DruLaCroix

I say the US is doomed regardless who wins, although I think Obama is the lesser of two evils. But who knows what he would do if he was "in power". Foreget about his pre-election promises. Saying and doing are two completely different things, and politics are no exception.
DruLaCroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

Honestly I believe people just liked the phrase "absolute power corrupts absolutely" and try to use it without really understanding it.
You make it seem like Obama will become Mussolini, because we all know that always happens.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
PortraitOfSanity

I see it as a cop out when people say they don't care about politics because "my vote doesn't matter" or "we're doomed no matter what". Take some goddamn responsibility and do something to get your opinions across to people instead of being so fatalistic about it. (I'm not directing this all at you Dru, I see it a lot)
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
Splintered

The scary thought is that your vote may not count.

Remember when Walden O'Dell promised to deliver Ohio to George Bush in 2004? Most people probably don't, and most people don't have a single clue who the hell Walden O'Dell is. However, he's an incredibly important person in the history of voting: He's the former C.E.O. of Diebold.

The only reason I'm bringing this up, is because there is an ongoing lawsuit from the State of Ohio against Premier Election Solution, a subsidiary of Diebold. (Link) From TFS, "Election workers found that votes were 'dropped' in at least 11 counties when memory cards were uploaded to computer servers."

I'm not saying that it's happening now, but it's a very scary, and very real possibility.

As for the candidates: I don't find either of them particularly desirable. However, of the two, I would definitely support Barack Obama, as my views tend to agree with him more often then McCain.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
The scary thought is that your vote may not count.
It doesn't. The electoral college chooses the president, not a majority vote by the common masses.
But if people believe the (useless) ballot is the maximum or only form of political expression or progress, then they're idiots.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #12
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
It doesn't. The electoral college chooses the president, not a majority vote by the common masses.
But if people believe the (useless) ballot is the maximum or only form of political expression or progress, then they're idiots.
What about elections for those in the Senate and House of Representatives? Doesn't the public still directly vote for them with a majority vote, or is there some provision I don't know about? (If it sounds a bit sarcastic, it's an honest question, I'm used to Canadian elections).
Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Senators are not elected by the people, but representatives are.
I thought we were talking about presidential elections, but for further reference, I wholeheartedly wish everyone would participate in their local elections (representatives falling in this category as they're the voice of the locality)

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
Splintered

I thought that members of the Senate were directly elected by the people within their state?

If not, then it's almost exactly like the Canadian system. We elect our members of Parliament in the House of Commons, but don't elect the Prime Minister or the Senate.

I thought we were talking about elections in general, in the States The article I linked too is actually a lawsuit over local elections in Ohio. Now that I know more about how the American electoral system works, that makes it even scarier then it was bore.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
CptSternn

There are still 26%, thats one in four, Americans who think bush is doing a good job.

That means McCain has at least one in four Americans ready to support him, no matter what.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
x-deviant-x

I'd prefer to see Obama in office than McCain. However when I registered to vote, Hillary was still running, and I was hoping to vote for her. I hated Bill Clinton as president, but I think Hillary would have done a decent job. (Even though many argue that she was already president).

I don't think Obama has the experience to be president. He probably thinks he does, but once he gets in, I think he's going to look around and say wtf?? and get pretty overwhelmed at how much chaos bush has left for him.

McCain has the experience, and the ties, to get what he wants done, which is scary. However the last poll i saw had Obama in the lead. Not that that means anything.

I also strongly believe that our next president has already been chosen, by the powers that be, regardless of how the elections go. Voting is mostly a puppet show anymore. I'm just waiting to see who it is.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
KontanKarite

If you think the elections are a puppet show, then isn't the prez also.... just a puppet?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Wednesday Friday Addams

Pretty much, We are having election In New Zealand around the same time and im deciding on a action to take.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
If you think the elections are a puppet show, then isn't the prez also.... just a puppet?
Of course. Hasn't that been obvious for the last 4 to 8 years?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
Godslayer Jillian

Are you kidding me? George Bush has been one of the presidents that has done most of what he wants.
How is too much power for one's own interests being a puppet?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Are you kidding me? George Bush has been one of the presidents that has done most of what he wants.
How is too much power for one's own interests being a puppet?
Because no one honestly believes George is the one deciding all these actions, merely that he is acting like a parrot mimicking the wishes of his masters. The president and politicians haven't run this country in a very long time. C.E.Os run this country.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Because no one honestly believes George is the one deciding all these actions, merely that he is acting like a parrot mimicking the wishes of his masters. The president and politicians haven't run this country in a very long time. C.E.Os run this country.
Thank you. Only it runs deeper than the C.E.Os, I think. You should google a video called The End Game, if you haven't seen it already. I would post a link for you, but the site won't let me. I haven't watched all of it yet, as its rather long, and I've been bogged down with school since my mother e-mailed it to me x-# of months ago.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
VioletPrison

Really good points made by everyone here. Personally, neither one of them are a good choice. Obama does not have the knowledge, experience, or strength to handle the issues that we are dealing with. McCain doesn't have a practical economic plan or the demeanor to keep calm during tough situations. I always thought Condoleeza Rice would make a good president, because she has proven herself to stay strong and yet reserved while moving the country forward.
VioletPrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #24
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
The president and politicians haven't run this country in a very long time. C.E.Os run this country.
And isn't George Bush in that rank? Is he a president and nothing more? Then what was he before being a president and a governor?
George Bush is a businessman. A businessman in office is not a puppet; it's an insider.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 AM   #25
CptSternn

Quote:
And isn't George Bush in that rank? Is he a president and nothing more? Then what was he before being a president and a governor?
George Bush is a businessman. A businessman in office is not a puppet; it's an insider.
Actually, to be more specific, gw was an OIL businessman. He owned Harken Oil, which merged with a Saudi company to become Delta Oil. His business partner in the oil venture? Osama Bin Ladens brother.

Small world, eh?