Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
the_ink_bleeds_faster

Japanese metal?

Lately I've been wanting to expand my taste of music, and I want to listen to more Japanese metal. But, unfortunately I can't find anything worth listening to, rather then having it be metal. I only listen to one Japanese band, which is Dir En Grey.

Help me please?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Defy

Moi dix Mois is also good band
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defy
Moi dix Mois is also good band
Seconded. But it can be quite hard to get their CDs in certain places, unless you go the filesharing route
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
TLZ

Sigh.

Originally a part of the 90s wave of black metal(the band had contact witht the norwegian underground black metal scene) but evolved into something beyond that(often labeled avantgarde metal.) Their latest album is described as a mixture between 80s german thrash metal with symhonics. Don't get to much expectatoins for how they sound, they are nothing like anything else... probably much because of what I like to call "japanes weirdness". ;P

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/sighjapan

My favorite song by them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNUSHXXzH0
TLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
TLZ

When thinkint a bit more I got to think of X-Japan. If I'm not mistaken they've gone on since 80s, they're style is very much typical 80s hair metal(so it's definitely a discussion whether they actually are metal or not..), with the exceptions of the drums that is more remiscent of thrash metal. The vocals are sung in japanese. Lookwise they got the crazy hair-metal infleunces visual kei style of japan.

MySpace(don't know if it's official): http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=30149122

A myspace clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svlteRENQ8s

(Damn I hate the minute-rule. It's only anoying IMO.)
TLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
CountSixstring

MDM is ok, but a lot of the good bands have wide variety in their sound. Dir en Grey in particular. Your best bet is to find one of the darker bands or go underground. Also X-Japan is good.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Draconysius

You gotta check out Eternal Elysium and Boris. They're both Japanese stoner metal, though EE is heavier, if that's what you're looking for. I'd compare them to Electric Wizard, though they're much more than that.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Metabolik

The band 'Chthonic' comes to mind, but i'm not sure if they are Japanese or Korean.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Katanshin

Do as Infinity are a bit lighter. But there's more experienced people on here to advise you on that.

I'm just curious as to whether liking Ayumi Hamasaki makes me gay. :P